Windows 10: Hyper V: Integration Services for Windows Home Server 2011 VM?

Discus and support Hyper V: Integration Services for Windows Home Server 2011 VM? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have created a Windows Home Server 2011 VM as a guest OS inside of Windows 10, which is the host OS. The VM is working and the networking is working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by elessar25, Nov 30, 2015.

1. elessar25 Win User

Hyper V: Integration Services for Windows Home Server 2011 VM?

I have created a Windows Home Server 2011 VM as a guest OS inside of Windows 10, which is the host OS. The VM is working and the networking is working (whew!). But I cannot figure out a way to get the integration services working. I've already selected Enhanced Session Mode in the Hyper-V Manager and Guest Services in the Integration Services portion of the VM settings. Can someone please provide me with a clue on how to get this working?

Thank you.

:)

elessar25, Nov 30, 2015
  2. shadowynd Win User

Hyper-V on Windows Home Edition?

In my "Services (Local)", the following are listed:

Hyper-V Data Exchange Service

Hyper-V Guest Service Interface

Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service

Hyper-V Heartbeat Service

Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service

Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service

Hyper-V VM Session Service

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor

Since Hyper V isn't supposed to be on Windows 10 Home, I'm wondering what's going on and why it is in my Services. Are there any other services which would appear in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education that shouldn't appear in Windows 10 Home Services?

Thanks!

shadowynd, Nov 30, 2015
  3. jbl1985 Win User
    Importing Virtual PC -> Hyper V

Thank you. I followed the instructions below, and when I go to hit the action menu to install Integration services, of course, there is no such option under the Action Menu. The instructions seem so simple but I'm still missing something...

Step 4: Install or upgrade integration services

Hyper-V includes a software package for supported guest operating systems that improves integration between the physical computer and the virtual machine. This package is referred to as integration services. To learn more, see Integration
    Services

This step can't be automated or done within a Windows PowerShell session.

To install integration services

• Open Hyper-V Manager. From the Server Manager Tools menu, click Hyper-V Manager.

• Connect to the virtual machine. Right-click the name of the virtual machine and click Connect.

• From the Action menu of Virtual Machine Connection, click Insert Integration Services Setup Disk. This action loads the setup disk in the virtual DVD drive. Depending on the guest operating system installed, you may
      need to start the installation manually.

• After the installation finishes, all integration services are available for use.

jbl1985, Nov 30, 2015
  4. elessar25 Win User

Anyone?

elessar25, Dec 4, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    If you have Enhanced Mode working, you already have all possible integration features present. What are you / do you think you are missing?

Kari, Dec 4, 2015
  6. elessar25 Win User
    Well I don't have access to the USB devices plugged into the host computer, and there's no sound.

elessar25, Dec 6, 2015
  7. What are you trying to get sound from? Does media content the server distributes not have sound? Sound in Hyper-V itself is not available by default (but then why would a Home Server need sound anyway?).

Cbarnhorst, Dec 11, 2015
  8. elessar25 Win User

The why doesn't matter. I want sound from my media items stored on this image. In particular, I want to turn this WHS2011 into a plex server.

elessar25, Dec 12, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    A Plex server does not need any audio itself; missing audio features on the server do not affect the content streamed to other hardware. You can have your WHS 2011 server without audio features, make it a Plex server, and stream content to other devices which will get full audio.

10. elessar25 Win User
    Fair enough, though I was hoping to use it for local playback. Though I wanted it to accomplish one more thing for me: be a network print server. It can't really do that if it has no access to USB peripherals.

elessar25, Dec 12, 2015
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

If it's serving multi-media to remote devices - say smart TV's / chromecast thingey's etc the home server at least will have to be able to transmit / serve audio and video files. This doesn't mean that sound needs to be present on the home server itself but it needs to be able to serve the files correctly.

@elessar --Plex is great -- the easiest way is to use a CHROMECAST device (really cheap) plugged in to your remote TV (connect via HDMI) and then use an app on say a tablet / smartphone to control the casting to your remote device. - Works brilliantly. The Android app is FREE as well and PLEX works on Linux too.

You don't need PLEX to PLAY on your server - just serve the music / video files.

Hint use PLEX VIDEO scanner rather than MOVIE scanner when creating your libraries if you have a lot of LOCAL content stored on local HDD's. Chromecast / PLEX will play FLAC too if you want uncompressed music. If you do this use the TV's OPTICAL sound output for best quality. Creating the initial MUSIC library can take a bit of time if you have a large music library. The Video libraries get created very quickly.

If your PLEX SERVER is running from a VM using a Chromecast device is ideal as you can disable any transcoding FROM the plex server reducing the load on the server. The OS built in to the chromecast can handle almost any codec - including HEVAC !!
    For once google has come up with something cheap and good.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 13, 2015
  12. elessar25 Win User
    That will solve the Plex Server issues, but what about the print server? Is that possible in my Hyper-V scenario?

elessar25, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyper V: Integration Services for Windows Home Server 2011 VM? - Similar Threads - Hyper Integration Services

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing: Hi there,First of all, there is no "server" topic, so I put this under windows->other/unknownAccording to this, if I have my fully licensed Windows Server Standard, than I can run 2 VM with the same...
  5. Integration with hyper-v

in Windows 10 Customization
    Integration with hyper-v: Is there something like seamless,coherence or unity mode in hyper-v ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/integration-with-hyper-v/a8fd68dc-71a6-4b61-aaca-92c36592ce26
  6. Upgrade a 2008 server in Hyper v vm to 2012 server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade a 2008 server in Hyper v vm to 2012 server: Hi I am running hyper v manager on my windows 10 pro pc. I am running 2008 server on the hyper v manager and I want to upgrade it to 2012 server. When I click on the install now button it does the copy files but does not go to the windows update window to continue the...
  7. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  8. Hyper-V: No "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V: No "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option: I added an existing .VHD (XP SP3 guest OS, which I originally created in Virtual PC 2007 running on an XP SP3 host OS) to Hyper-V via the Hyper-V Manager. It worked fine, except, I have no "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option in the Action menu, so I have no video,...
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. Where is the Integration Service Disk of Hyper-V in Windows 10?

Where is the Integration Service Disk of Hyper-V in Windows 10?: Hello guys *Smile I want to install a Windows 7 VM with Hyper-V, but I could not find the item "Insert Integration Service disk" in the Action menu of Hyper-V console. [img] Now my Windows 7 VM looks ugly with no Aero effect and screen resolution is not autoscale....