Windows 10: Hyper-V: Lost Communication during install XPMode in Windows 7 guest

Discus and support Hyper-V: Lost Communication during install XPMode in Windows 7 guest in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; When first time installing XPmode in a Windows 7 guest hosted by Hyper V on my Windows 10, the installation freezes and Hyper-V Manager says:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by GalaxyGe, Nov 17, 2017.

1. GalaxyGe Win User

Hyper-V: Lost Communication during install XPMode in Windows 7 guest

When first time installing XPmode in a Windows 7 guest hosted by Hyper V on my Windows 10, the installation freezes and Hyper-V Manager says: Communication Lost.

This happens a lillle time after step 10 of this guide is started : Windows XP Mode - Install and Setup - Windows 7 Help Forums

I've increased Memory for Windows 7 guest to 6144 MB, but no joy.
    I'm on Windows 10, build 15063.726. 16GB RAM, using Virtual Switch.

This happens similar when I manually create a Virtual Machine in Virtual PC and try to boot it. *Rolleyes

:)

GalaxyGe, Nov 17, 2017

2. Installing a Virtual OS using Hyper-V

They are correct, Virtual PC the "product" (which included XP), was only a feature of Windows 7.

Hyper-V came to Windows 8 and is in 10. It doesn't come with any built in O/S for guest use as Virtual PC did in 7.

Any O/S you install as a guest in Hyper-V has to be downloaded and/or purchased.

IJustHelping, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Installing a Virtual OS using Hyper-V

Windows 10 doesn't come with the XPMode that windows 7 did, you get Hyper-V not Virtual PC.. THat being said, even if you get a copy from a retail store and pay for XP, you will still have issues installing it on a Hyper-V terminal.. I run a Cluster of Hyper-V
    servers, and the XP, 2k, 98, etc all require specific Drivers that Microsoft does not provide for Hyper-V... If you end up purchasing XP retail, make sure you can find the Vmware 3.2 Driver pack from Vmware's website.. However they don't work with all hardware,
    you have to have a Dell system in order for them to actually work with XP in Hyper-V otherwise you get basic VGA drivers, no NIC, and issues with sound..

If you need XP, you are better off going back to windows 7.

themanindbox, Nov 17, 2017
  4. GalaxyGe Win User

come on guys.. no ideas?
    Hyper-V: Lost Communication during install XPMode in Windows 7 guest [​IMG]

could it be an issue with 32bit XP on 64 bit Windows 7 vm maybe?

Configuration again:
    Host (physical) : Windows 10 Pro
    ---> Hyper-V Guest : Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Trying to run XPMode within the Windows 7 guest.

GalaxyGe, Nov 20, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    The fact it happens on another vm means issue is related to the xpmode or windows 7.

Why overcomplicate it - just install XP?

cereberus, Nov 20, 2017
  6. GalaxyGe Win User
    Yes.. I have already installed XP in Hyper-V.

Windows 7/XP was more out of interest/curiosity as it's so nicely integrated with XPMode.
    There you can run programs not even read realising they are processed in another OS.

GalaxyGe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyper-V: Lost Communication during install XPMode in Windows 7 guest - Similar Threads - Hyper Lost Communication

2. Hyper-V VM Lost Heart Beat Communication

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM Lost Heart Beat Communication: Hi Team,We have a Hyper-V Server2019, it is running but can't connect with RDP and server manager. The screen is black and in Hyper-V manager shows a lost heartbeat communication. Could you please advise how to connect? I tried shutdown and starting but the result was the...
  3. Hyper-V VM Lost Heart Beat Communication

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM Lost Heart Beat Communication: Hi Team,We have a Hyper-V Server2019, it is running but can't connect with RDP and server manager. The screen is black and in Hyper-V manager shows a lost heartbeat communication. Could you please advise how to connect? I tried shutdown and starting but the result was the...
  4. Hyper-V and Windows 7

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V and Windows 7: I'm trying to setup a Windows 7 VM in Hyper-V. I have tried both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions and both have the same problem. The mouse does not work. It say that the mouse input not captured. All boxes are checked under Integration Services. Is their any other options...
  5. HYPER V LOST

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HYPER V LOST: I HAVE WINDOW 10 HOME VERSION. IT USED TO HAVE HYPER V BUT AFTER THE UPDATE THE HYPER V IS MISSING FROM MY PC. BY WHICH I AM UNABLE TO PLAY GAMESS. PLEASE HELP MA FIX IT AS SONAS POSSIBLE AND MY TOURNAMENT IS GOING TO BE HELD SOON....
  6. Hyper-V and Windows 10 Guest speed

Hyper-V and Windows 10 Guest speed: What are the best memory settings for a Windows 10 Guest on Hyper-V? 16 Gb of physical memory 127556
  7. No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest

No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest: I have an old DOS program that runs fine in a console window under native Windows XP. I've setup a shortcut on the XP machines and selected full screen. When the application runs it opens full screen. On a Windows 10 with a Hyper-V instance of Windows XP the application is...
  8. Hyper v Integrated services on guest not able to install

Hyper v Integrated services on guest not able to install: Hi I have a vm with win 7 guest os that i can not install integrated services on the option to install it is not in the action meny. have read a lot of post on the internet but nothing seams to help. have logged on as admin on both the host and guest. even tried a...
  9. Hyper-V Connection Lost

Hyper-V Connection Lost: I am having trouble establishing a stable connection to a Windows 10 VM and the issue appears when I activate enhanced mode. The error message that I'm getting quite often is the following: "The connection was lost because another user connected to the virtual machine." There...
  10. Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.

Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (10240) and have a guest Windows 10 VM (10528) which were working fine. Both were activated and connected to internet correctly. Today I booted the VM as native boot VHDX. This installed some drivers, connected to internet and...
Tags: