Windows 10: Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution

Discus and support Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I am a new user of Hyper-V on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit host, and have just installed Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit. I have two queries from my initial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by MikeinGrange, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution

I am a new user of Hyper-V on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit host, and have just installed Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit. I have two queries from my initial use, and am hoping that experienced users can give me some guidance.

(1) When Linux is first launched I am given a warning message saying that Cinnamon is running in software rendering mode, without video hardware acceleration. How should I correct this?

(2) The display screen resolution is fixed at 1152 x 864. The screen is a Viewsonic VA912, capable of 1400 x 1050 though in Windows I normally run it at 1280 x 1024 (as that is the limitation of a second screen that I also use in Windows). How can I improve the resolution options in Hyper-V?

Previously I had experimented with VMware Workstation 12 Player, and neither of these two errors occurred. I have not yet de-installed VMware though I see that I cannot run it whilst Hyper-V is installed.

:)

MikeinGrange, Jan 20, 2017
  2. jaitaiwan Win User

Unable to Fully Install Hyper V - Fails after restart to finish

Thanks, this was helpful because it shows that I should indeed have full capabilities to run hyper-V as all the Hyper-V settings show "yes".

Unfortunately it gets me no closer to a resolution.

jaitaiwan, Jan 20, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Jan 20, 2017
  4. montr Win User

Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution

montr, Jan 30, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'm running Centos as a VM on Hyper-V

Screen resolution worked "Straight out of the box" -- Host is W10 X64 Pro. Maybe different graphic cards work differently when run with HYPER-V -- I'm using a NVIDIA card rather than Mobo graphics as my box doesn't have any Audio card - HDMI for Host has audio from the Nvidia card.

(Nvidia GEforce 610 - cheaper card but works well and is half height so fits into a slot on my micro cube server - limited space - and doesn't require a load of cooling power. I'm not a Gamer -- the card is perfectly good for movies, photoshop etc etc. even on a 40 inch monitor).

Cheers
    Jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 31, 2017
  6. @montr Thanks for your input, but at present Windows share works very well and I'm reluctant to download/use extra software on Windows in order to improve the screen resolution in Hyper-V - especially as there was no such limitation with VMware.
    @jimbo My PC doesn't have a separate video card, but uses Intel HD Graphics 400. Maybe I'll just have to accept that this restriction in screen resolution is, for me, one difference between Hyper-V and VMware.

MikeinGrange, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution

1. Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution - Similar Threads - Hyper – software

2. screen resolution. terraria render distance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen resolution. terraria render distance: the maximum resolution on my hp laptop is 1366x768 i don't heve any advanced display options. can i increase my screen resolution? i would like to do this to increase my render distance in terraria....
  3. screen resolution. terraria render distance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    screen resolution. terraria render distance: the maximum resolution on my hp laptop is 1366x768 i don't heve any advanced display options. can i increase my screen resolution? i would like to do this to increase my render distance in terraria....
  4. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  5. Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem: I installed Linux-Mint in a gen 1 hyper-v session, and it installed fine. My main issue is that it setups up in an odd screen size and requires scroll bars. I go to display settings and it say laptop 12xx x 8xx (4:3) resolution, and no option to select 1366x768. I...
  6. Hyper-V Full Screen after minimising session?

Hyper-V Full Screen after minimising session?: I know yu can alter the hyper-v configuration files so it starts in full screen mode, but if you minimise a session to the taskbar, and maximise again, it always reverts to windows mode rather than full screen mode, and you have to manually set to fullscreen again Anybody...
  7. Hyper-V – BSOD or repair screen

Hyper-V – BSOD or repair screen: Windows 10 Pro 1709, x64. Lenovo desktop, 12 GB memory. I´ve trying to do a virtual boot of a backup image created with Macrium Reflect, using Macrium viBoot. When the vm is started, there appears a BSOD in Hyper-V (Page fault in nonpaged area), or a “Preparing...
  8. Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution?

Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution?: I have a high DPI display. When running VMs that do not support changing resolution the text in the console is so small it is almost unreadable. This happens with Linux guests without a GUI (CentOS minimal for example) and Windows PE. Is there anything that can be done to...
  9. Clarification on Hyper-V

Clarification on Hyper-V: I see that Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. If enabled, would this work on a client system much the same way as VMWare Player, VirtualBox, etc? I'm very familiar with both of those hypervisors, but have never used the Microsoft offering, and I'm just looking for...
  10. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. running in software rendering mode hyper-v

2. cinnamon hyper-v software rendering

3. linux mint in hyper v resolution problem visualisation

4. cinnamon on centos in HyperV starts in rendering mode ,
  5. hyper-v rendering,
  6. cinnamon hyper-v running in software rendering,
  7. cinnamon mint hyper-v software rendering Windows 10 Pro,
  8. mint cinnamon hyper v without video acceleration,
  9. cinnamon running in software rendering mode hyper v