Windows 10: Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch

Discus and support Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I get the error "bind failed: General access denied error" when I try to create an external virtual switch. [img] I tried running Hyper-V with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by zorvek, Mar 5, 2016.

1. zorvek Win User

Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch

I get the error "bind failed: General access denied error" when I try to create an external virtual switch.

Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch [​IMG]

I tried running Hyper-V with as admin without success.

Kevin

:)

zorvek, Mar 5, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Can't create any Virtual Switch in Hyper-V, Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch 0x800401F3

Hi,

I'm absolutely stuck in Hyper-V since it lost connectivity. I removed all the virtual switches but now I'm unable to create new ones. Whenever I try to create a new one, either external, internal or private, I just get:

Error applying Virtual Switch Properties changes

Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch.

Switch create failed, name = '(some hexa address'), friendly name = 'Some Switch': Invalid class string (0x800401F3).

Working with PowerShell ends with the same result:

PS C:\> New-VMSwitch "Virtual Switch" -NetAdapterName "Wi-Fi" -AllowManagementOS $True

New-VMSwitch : Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch.

Switch create failed, name = '567871B6-FF85-49D2-B2C0-F497EFC556F2', friendly name = 'Virtual Switch': Invalid class

string (0x800401F3).

At line:1 char:1

+ New-VMSwitch "Virtual Switch" -NetAdapterName "Wi-Fi" -AllowManagemen ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch :)) [New-VMSwitch], VirtualizationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : OperationFailed,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.NewVMSwitch

Any idea on how to fix this?

PS: Should be obvious, but "reinstall Windows" is out of the table.

PD: Removing and adding the Hyper-V feature again won't solve it.

Carlos J. S. A., Mar 5, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Kari, Mar 5, 2016
  5. zorvek Win User
    Nothing is listed:

Kevin

zorvek, Mar 5, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    OK.

Which Windows 10 build you are using? Are you signed in with an admin account? Are you trying to create an external switch using Ethernet adapter or the wireless adapter?

Kari, Mar 5, 2016
  7. zorvek Win User
    Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1511, OS Build 10586.122.

I am signed in as myself, an admin.

I'm trying to connect to a wireless adapter.

Kevin

zorvek, Mar 5, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Two suggestions. First a safe workaround, then a bit more risky solution which might or might not work.

A safe workaround:1.) Create an Internal virtual switch

2.) Change your virtual machine Network Adapter to your new Internal switch

3.) Before starting the vm, make sure your host physical wireless adapter is connected, then open its Properties and under the Sharing tab, enable sharing the connection with your new Internal switch:

That's it. Your vm is now using an Internal switch which then gets a shared connection from the wireless adapter on host.

A not so safe but more permanent solution:1.) Open an elevated admin Command Prompt

2.) Enter command netcfg -d, hit Enter. All your host network connections will be reset, all possible virtual switches removed, even those "half there" not shown but yet making it impossible to create new switches as in your case

3.)
    Restart, reconnect the wireless adapter (notice that it's reset, you need to enter the network security key again)

4.) Create the external switch

5.)
    If you can now create the external switch, everything is OK. If not, you can still use the above workaround

Warning Please notice: The netcfg -d command when it works can show a few errors, followed by a few "Success" messages. It's totally normal.

The command might crash the PC causing a BSOD, for instance when I tested this just now, the first netcfg -d gave a BSOD, the second one after the restart worked.

I will take no responsibility, if you decide to test this scenario you do it at your own risk!

Kari, Mar 5, 2016
  9. zorvek Win User
    Before I try these solutions, what about using RDP? I was reading about that was a good way to get the screen resolution to match my host system. Would that somehow change how the networking works or would I still have the same problem?

Kevin

zorvek, Mar 5, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    The vm needs to be connected to the network before you can remotely connect to it. To connect, a vm needs a virtual switch. To use Remote Desktop, you first need to create a working virtual switch and set the vm to use it.

11. Dadicator Win User
    I see Windows PowerShell Listed at top left corner --- It Does Not Say "Administrator" Maybe problem

Dadicator, Mar 8, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    No, that's not an issue. Get-VMSwitch does not need elevated PowerShell. See my screenshot in post #2.

13. lignja8 Win User

Kari, thx a lot for this solution.
    u saved a day again *Wink

lignja8, Apr 13, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    A bit confused thanks: which solution do you mean?

15. lignja8 Win User
    i cant create external virtual switch *Wink
    so i use 1. solution
    tricked VM with internal switch and sharing options of wifi adapter
    thx

lignja8, Apr 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch - Similar Threads - Hyper Unable Create

2. Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches: I'm getting a generic error whenever i try to click on Virtual Switches options in HyperVIf i check even log i see the following 3 errorsHNS failed to create vmswitch with error '0x8007023E' and adapter id = 'C08CB7B8-9B3C-408E-8E30-5E16A3AEB444'.HNS-Layer-Create :- Network...
  3. Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches: I'm getting a generic error whenever i try to click on Virtual Switches options in HyperVIf i check even log i see the following 3 errorsHNS failed to create vmswitch with error '0x8007023E' and adapter id = 'C08CB7B8-9B3C-408E-8E30-5E16A3AEB444'.HNS-Layer-Create :- Network...
  4. Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hyper-V virtual switches difference?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V virtual switches difference?: I made a new external switch in Hyper-V, and the screenshot below is what I have now: [img] First 3 adapters from screenshot are as follows: 1. Physical realtek adapter 2. Default (non removable) virtual switch 3. vEthernet is the external switch I made BUT, what is...
  6. Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch: Hello, I have been trying to create a Ubuntu VM using Hyper-V for the past hour, but Windows still can't create one for me. Every time I tried to create it just says "The server encountered an error while creating VM name. 'VM name' failed to realize. Failed to access...
  7. Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V

Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V: Hi guys, I enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10 but unable to create a virtual switch. I tried to create private and internal types of virtual switch but every time the process stuck on "Applying changes". What could be the reason of that? Thank you. 61906
  8. Hyper-V error when creating virtual switch.

Hyper-V error when creating virtual switch.: Hi this is my first post but I am really confused as to an issue with hyper-V Whenever I go to open the virtual switch manager, it says; The operation on computer 'DESKTOP-V1A0142' failed: Generic error. Is there anyway to fix this. I have not yet created any switches...
  9. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  10. Slow download speed after creating Hyper-V External Virtual Switch

Slow download speed after creating Hyper-V External Virtual Switch: Hello. After buying a new PC (its specs are on my profile), enabling Hyper-V and creating a new External Virtual Switch, I notice that the download speed drops dramatically. My internet conneciton is 1Gbps down and 200Mbps up. Without External Virtual Switch: Speedtest...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper-v unable to create virtual switch

2. hyper v general access denied error while making switch

3. windows 10 hyper v anable to create internal virtual switch error

4. hyper v 2 lans unable to create external switch,
  5. error creating external hyper v switch,
  6. unable to create external vswitch,
  7. unable to create hyper-v vitual switch,
  8. hyper-v external promlem,
  9. hyperv 2019 cant create external vswitch,
  10. unable to create a switch in hyperv,