Windows 10: Hyper-V Virtual Machine Crash When Audio Activates (Event 1000, 1026)

Discus and support Hyper-V Virtual Machine Crash When Audio Activates (Event 1000, 1026) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; UPDATE: Problem solved. The culprit was indeed an/another audio codec. Along with checking that one does not have the Ogg Vorbis codec file as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by MemoryBlock, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Hyper-V Virtual Machine Crash When Audio Activates (Event 1000, 1026)

UPDATE:
    Problem solved.
    See post #14's "long story" for steps that led to the findings above as the same steps can aid in hunting down this type of issue if neither of the above applies.

Hello,

I recently did an in place upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and tried to create a free virtual machine using the provided MS development environment/build: Get a Windows 10 development environment - Windows app development
    I created a internal and external virtual network adapter/switch, and after all is done attempted to either use the "Enhanced Session" or Remote Desktop Connection to enter my virtual machine. This machine seems to otherwise work fine (especially in Basic Session or when the network is set to Private instead of External or Internal), but if the audio is available and any sound attempt to trigger (in VM, to be played by host machine), it will crash.

The message just states that the connection has been lost. The Event Log on the host machine (my Win10 Pro) simply shows that the 'vmconnnect.exe' crashed with event 1000, and that there is a .Net Runtime error event 1026.
    My repeated attempts to solve the issue involving looking into anything wrong with the connection setting or firewall setting revealed nothing. Internet searches also did not reveal any answers, though the closes person to have my issue also has no answer post (Windows 10 Hyper-V keep crashing - Super User).
    I tried other OS for the VM as well, but all had the same issue (Win7, and Win8)

Short of the in place upgrade causing this issue, I was wondering if anyone here may be able to help me resolve this problem with the audio crashing the Virtual Machine.
    Are there any additional settings to check, services to run, or features to install?

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

MemoryBlock, Jul 8, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Jul 8, 2016
  3. Rex99ny Win User
    Where is the Hyper V Manager, How to I start it ?

I am trying to setup an XP virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro.

I followed the steps in Neil Peterson article of 5/9/2016.

System Requirements - done - ok

Install Hyper-V - done - ok

Create a Virtual Switch - skip

Create a Virtual Machine

Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager

These steps walk through how to manually create a virtual machine and deploy an operating system to this virtual machine.

• In Hyper-V Manager, click Action > New >
      Virtual Machine
      to bring up the New

Uhhhhhhhhh - this step obviously implies one knows

1) Where the Hyper-V Manager is

2) How to start the Hyper-V Manager

Isn't that odd ?

Rex99ny, Jul 8, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Crash When Audio Activates (Event 1000, 1026)

The dev Hyper-V preset vm comes with one user account set up, username being user (someone at MS has really thought this...). By default it has no password.

Both remote desktop connection and Hyper-V enhanced mode (which is based on remote desktop protocol) require a password. When enhanced mode is started when logged in to vm with a user account with no password, this happens:

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Crash When Audio Activates (Event 1000, 1026) [​IMG]

An easy fix is to to setup a password. Try setting up a password for default preset user account, or create a new local admin account with password.

Kari, Jul 8, 2016
  5. Hello there Kari, (and anyone else that comes along to my reply,)

I forgot to mention I did actually encounter that quirk already and it was resolved. When I first created that VM of a Windows 10, it did constantly disconnect/connection-lost me until the password was created.

However, now that that step is passed, it is no longer the source of my disconnection that I am describing in this topic.

The connection-lost-crash literally happens only in Enhanced Session or when I use Remote Desktop Connection to enter my Windows 10 Virtual Machine, and I try to do any of the following:
    1. Click on the volume Control (which is available in such modes) and then click on the slider of the sound control (which creates a "ding" at the current volume).
    2. Visit a Youtube video and attempt to play (expecting sound).
    3. I believe if some function of Windows would have played a sound (busy sound, error sound, maybe Cortana or narrator?)
    4. Visit a site like SoundCloud and attempting to play anything (expecting sound).

After the connection is lost, I can still enter the VM again.

If I disable "sound" (by either using a private virtual connection adapter or not using Enhanced Session), the sound task tray symbol shows that the sound is disabled, no audio driver detected, then such problems does not exist.

I think something is wrong when it tries to send me the "sound" over the network for my host computer to play.

If the password is set and the disconnection seems to only happen when described above with the said event 1000 and 1026 in the host machine, then is there another setting or service/feature that may be responsible and can be fixed by either configuration adjustment or on/off, etc?

MemoryBlock, Jul 8, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Just to check, is remote audio set to be played on host as it should be and is by default:

Kari, Jul 8, 2016
  7. Yes, the setting has the "Play on this computer" selected for both when using Enhanced Session or through the Remote Desktop Connection's options before connecting. If those were changed to any of the other 2, the audio inside the Virtual Machine is disabled, and therefore the problem does not occur (i.e. no sound driver detected - virtual sound driver anyway - and when you try to play anything, you see it play with no sound, but no crash/connection lost).

MemoryBlock, Jul 8, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

My previous post only reveals the degree of my confusion; I remote quite a lot often setting audio to be played on remote machine. In your case this obvisously is not the case. My apologies.

I just tested the dev vm, played videos from Channel 9, YouTube, audio clips from SoundCloud, no issues. Also the system sounds come through as they should.

It obviously is something in RDP causing this but what, that might be quite difficult to find out. One thing you could test, though: I assume you imported the dev vm through Hyper-V's Import Virtual Machine function? Importing a vm reads the existing configuration files and applies them, whereas creating a new vm using existing VHD creates new ones.

You could try creating a new vm and simply use the downloaded and extracted VHD as existing VHD, then see if the same issue occurs even with new, for your machine created configuration files.

Kari, Jul 8, 2016
  9. Hello Kari,

Both using the existing VHD (use existing harddrive after creating a new virtual machine) and importing one directly results in this audio related crash/connection-lost to persist.

MemoryBlock, Jul 8, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Do you have any third party audio / video codecs installed on your host? I remember something from Windows 7 and 8.1 (although I am unable to find any documentation about it), Ogg Vorbis codec sometimes causing remote connections to crash as soon as audio from remote machine was played on remote client.

11. Hello,

I attempted to check under the assumption that these are going to be listed under the "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers"?
    If this is incorrect, then you may need to direct me.
    I actually do have multiple audio drivers listed under what I described above:
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible)(WDM)
    RealTek High Definition Audio
    My Keyboard is listed here (my earphones are my speakers and it is plugged into my keyboard)

The Keyboard is my "speakers".

MemoryBlock, Jul 8, 2016
  12. Kari Win User
    I don't believe this is your case. Anyway, to see all installed codecs open Windows Media Player, press CTRL + M to show menu bar if it's not shown, select About Windows Media Player in Help menu.

Click link Technical Support Information:

A page will be opened in your default browser. Scroll down to see all installed codecs:

I am checking something else, will post back.

13. Hyper-V Virtual Machine Crash When Audio Activates (Event 1000, 1026)

Hi,

I reinstalled the media player and got the information for Audio and Video Codecs, but there is no sign of the Ogg Vorbis one:

Audio Codecs

Type Name Format Binary Version ACM Microsoft IMA ADPCM CODEC 0011 ACM Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (decode only) 0055 ACM Microsoft ADPCM CODEC 0002 ACM Microsoft CCITT G.711 A-Law and u-Law CODEC 0007 ACM Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC 0031 ACM BANDI_MPEG-1 Audio Decoder 0050 ACM Microsoft PCM Converter 0001 DMO WMAudio Decoder DMO 0160, 0161, 0162, 0163 WMADMOD.DLL 10.0.10586.63 DMO WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO 0162 WMADMOD.DLL 10.0.10586.63 DMO WMSpeech Decoder DMO 000A, 000B WMSPDMOD.DLL 10.0.10586.63 DMO MP3 Decoder DMO 0055 mp3dmod.dll 10.0.10586.63 Video Codecs

Type Name Format Binary Version ICM Cinepak Codec by Radius cvid iccvid.dll 1.10.0.12 ICM Intel IYUV codec IYUV iyuv_32.dll 10.0.10586.0 ICM Microsoft RLE MRLE msrle32.dll 10.0.10586.0 ICM Microsoft Video 1 MSVC msvidc32.dll 10.0.10586.0 ICM Microsoft YUV UYVY msyuv.dll 10.0.10586.0 ICM Toshiba YUV Codec Y411 tsbyuv.dll 10.0.10586.0 ICM Microsoft YUV UYVY msyuv.dll 10.0.10586.0 ICM Bandi MJPEG Video Decoder MJPG ICM Bandi MPEG-1 Video Decoder MPEG ICM VP60® Simple Profile VP60 vp6vfw.dll 6.0.6.4 ICM VP61® Advanced Profile VP61 vp6vfw.dll 6.0.6.4 DMO Mpeg4s Decoder DMO mp4s, MP4S, m4s2, M4S2, MP4V, mp4v, XVID, xvid, DIVX, DX50 mp4sdecd.dll 10.0.10586.0 DMO WMV Screen decoder DMO MSS1, MSS2 wmvsdecd.dll 10.0.10586.0 DMO WMVideo Decoder DMO WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, WMVA, WVC1, WMVP, WVP2, VC1S wmvdecod.dll 10.0.10586.0 DMO Mpeg43 Decoder DMO mp43, MP43 mp43decd.dll 10.0.10586.0 DMO Mpeg4 Decoder DMO MPG4, mpg4, mp42, MP42 mpg4decd.dll 10.0.10586.0

MemoryBlock, Jul 8, 2016
  14. Kari Win User
    OK, not a solution you were looking for but totally working workaround, even with some benefits.

You can use the dev vm's VHDX file in native boot, dual boot your real physical hardware to it instead of using it as a vm. See this tutorial for really fast and easy setup: Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD - Windows 10 Forums

Dual booting, using the virtual hard disk in native boot allows it to use your native hardware directly. You will have full access to your host drives, and it functions faster than a vm.

If you decide to give it a go, please notice the following:
    • Be sure to install Macrium as told in tutorial step 1.3, and setup Macrium boot entry as told in steps 2.7 to 2.9, to be able to reset the boot records if something goes unexpected (steps 4.1 through 4.3)
    • Although the VHDX file is seen by host as just over 40 GB, it is in fact a dynamically expanding 127 GB virtual hard disk. This means that the drive where it is stored when mounted and added to native boot must have at least 128 GB free space; if selected from boot menu when the storage location has not enough space for the VHDX to expand to its full size, you will get a BSOD
    • When used in native boot, the pre-installed Windows dev environment VHDX tells you that the Windows license is expired. Simply open an elevated command prompt and give this command to get trial license rearmed / activated:
      Code: slmgr /rearm[/quote]
    I was sure this works but wanted to test it before posting. Please take the suggestion about setting up Macrium recovery environment seriously! This quote from the end of the mentioned tutorial:

Note One third joking, two thirds seriously:

If something happens when you are playing with native boot and you come back posting "Help! I can't boot to Windows anymore!", my only advice will be to boot to Macrium rescue system as told in the tutorial and reset boot records. It works every time being a life saver when PC can't boot to any operating system.

In case you will then reply with "It's not there, I forgot to add Macrium to boot menu!", I don't even bother to respond!

I will continue searching for possible reasons for your remote connections failing when remote host plays audio.

15. What are the conditions for RDP to work correct? I mean things such as what are the list of services I need to make sure they are running, and what are the firewall settings that would be allowed on either one or both of the public/private selection for exclusion?

Specifically, which ones deal with the processing of sound from the VM?

Update:
    I wanted to add the new list of sites I found that seems to indicate the same issue I am facing based on the error messages posted and scenario described.
    None of these have a answer/resolution to not getting the crash (without sacrificing the sound which is the trigger for the crash).

MemoryBlock, Jul 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Hyper-V Virtual Machine Crash When Audio Activates (Event 1000, 1026) - Similar Threads - Hyper Virtual Machine

2. Hyper-V virtual machine very slow to start? Speed-up Hyper-V virtual machine!

in Windows 10 News
    Hyper-V virtual machine very slow to start? Speed-up Hyper-V virtual machine!: [ATTACH]If you have installed Windows 11 in Hyper-V, but the virtual machine is very slow to start, here are some tweaks that might speed it up. Although several things are responsible for this slowness, these common changes might be handy for you. Whether you have installed...
  3. Enabling audio on Hyper V virtual machine (Windows XP)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling audio on Hyper V virtual machine (Windows XP): To whom it may concern, When using a virtual machine, I find that some of my programs do not run due to a lack of audio. My Hyper V Manager is already set to 'use enhanced mode if available' by default. Since I want to get access to the aforementioned software, is there a...
  4. Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi all, I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine. It's configured to use Hyper-V's "Default Switch" network adapter, but for some reason, the VM doesn't seem to get internet access. My computer is connected to the Internet (both through Wi-Fi and Ethernet). I've...
  5. Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error: While starting the Vistual Machine i am facing the below error shown in Event Viewer. Plz Help me out to resolve this problem. License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code: hr=0x8007232B Command-line arguments:...
  6. Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine: Suddenly, Hyper V would not connect to any Virtual Machine using the Virtual Machine Connection. I trying creating new VMs and nothing worked. I am using Windows 10 Education....
  7. Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines: How to: Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines Running Windows on a virtual machine can naturally never be as fast as same version of Windows on same computer running on physical hardware. However, by tweaking virtual machine settings, you can greatly impact the speed and...
  8. Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine [img] Information Nested Virtualization means that user can enable Hyper-V on existing virtual machines, and run virtual machines and Windows Sandbox on them. To make Nested Virtualization...
  9. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...
  10. Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows: How to: Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows How to Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 10 [img] Note There's nothing wrong in running the Hyper-V Manager and launch your virtual machines from there. However, creating a...
Tags: