Windows 10: Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

Discus and support Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I’m not entirely sure if this should be in networking section. Sorry if this is wrong section. First little background. I have Raspberry Pi running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by JKAVS, Oct 28, 2017.

1. JKAVS Win User

Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

I’m not entirely sure if this should be in networking section. Sorry if this is wrong section.

First little background. I have Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I also have Windows 10 computer with TV tuner card. I can watch TV on Kodi over the network as the Windows 10 machine is running a PVR server software.

Recently I wanted to try Hyper-v so I enabled it and created a virtual machine and an external virtual switch. This worked great and the VM ran very well. Then I wanted to watch TV on Kodi. Once I started it I got many errors stating that it could not connect to the PVR server on the Windows 10 machine.

Then I deleted the VM and virtual switch and disabled Hyper-v. Now TV on Kodi works again.

I think that the virtual switch somehow breaks the connection and TV streaming won’t work anymore. What could be the reason for this?

:)

JKAVS, Oct 28, 2017
  2. dscycler Win User

Windows 10 Hyper-v using 2 Nic ports

I am running Windows 10 with Hyper-v installed. I want to add a 2nd network adapter to the system in order to separate the hyper-v network traffic from the host network traffic. I disconnect all hyper-v vms from the current virtual switch that is set up
    allowing host access. I remove that hyper-v virtual switch. Then I add the new nic, restart and add a virtual switch (External) that is connected to the 2nd nic. I don't select the 'Allow management operating system to share this adapter'. Then click OK and
    the virtual switch is added.

The result is that my Win 10 host can still see the Internet and ping other systems on my lan but it cannot actually connect to shares on servers on my lan through Network or via existing mapped drives.

The only way I can get back complete network functionality is to use System Protection >> System Restore to go back in time prior to adding the virtual switch connected to the 2nd nic.

Windows server 2012 R2 has no issues with setting the host to use one lan port and a hyper-v virtual switch connecting to a different lan port.

Any ideas? A bug? Thanks...

dscycler, Oct 28, 2017
  3. RobDev Win User
    Internet Explorer (and Edge) "can't find this page" for some web sites

Hi Robert,

no, it's not. According to the Hyper-V Manager, I've only got two Virtual Switches; Microsoft Emulator NAT Switch and Windows Phone Emulator Internal Switch, both are marked as internal. My internet access, via the Ethernet port, is provided by a Realtek
    PCIe GBE Family Controller. I've also got two other Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet adapters showing up among my Network Connections but they are both marked as disabled.

Kind regards,

RobDev, Oct 28, 2017
  4. GalaxyGe Win User

this is the correct forum. I also have issues since installing Hyper-V / the virtual switch. E. g. my WiFi Monitoring app isn't able to show the current WiFi connection, quality and speed anymore.
    Certainly the experts here can lighten this up.

GalaxyGe, Oct 28, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    Since version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) you do not have to create external switches to get Hyper-V virtual machines connected to Internet. If you are OK with using NAT networking, forget external switches; set up Hyper-V and use the new Default Switch when setting up new virtual machines:

Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network [​IMG]

6. JKAVS Win User
    I haven't installed Creators Update yet. I'll install it and try again.

JKAVS, Oct 29, 2017
  7. GalaxyGe Win User
    Kari, will we be able to also remove the Virtual Switch for vms we created before the upgrade? I ask as you said we can configure this when creating new virtual machines.
    I will upgrade to FCU then asap.

Thanks a lot for your as always great support!

Ge

GalaxyGe, Oct 31, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

Just open settings for any existing VM and change switch:

9. JKAVS Win User
    I now have Fall Creators Update installed and a new Hyper-V virtual machine running Windows 10 on it. I set it up to use the default switch.
    The problem is that it does not have an internet connection. The VM says: "Unknown network. No internet connection" (Or something similar. My OS is not in english and that's my translation).
    What could be the problem.

JKAVS, Dec 4, 2017
  10. Kari Win User

Postaa virheilmoituksen teksti tai kuvakaappaus siitä tänne, kyllä me suomea ymmärretään *Wink

Hyvää itsenäisyyspäivää!

Please post the error message in Finnish or screenshot of it, we do understand Finnish *Wink

Happy independence day!

11. JKAVS Win User
    It's just the normal network menu in the task bar.

JKAVS, Dec 4, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
    Ah OK, I understand now what you meant.

Try following: Shut down VM. In VM settings, set Network Adapter > Not connected:

Start VM. When on desktop open VM settings (File menu > Settings) and set Network Adapter > Default Switch.

Please post back if it worked or not, we'll think something else if not.

13. Kari Win User

OK.

Have you tested if an external switch works?

14. JKAVS Win User
    External switch still does work, but I don't want to use it as it causes problems elsewhere.

JKAVS, Dec 4, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
    The thing with default switch is that it can't be deleted and recreated. Only way to do it is completely remove Hyper-V feature, restart and enable Hyper-V again.

You could try setting static IP and DNS for network adapter on guest using default switch. Set IPv4 default gateway to 172.21.183.161 and IPv4 address to 172.21.183.XXX where XXX is a value between 162 and 255. Subnet mask needs to be 255.255.255.240.

Sample NIC settings from a VM using default switch:

Same from a Finnish Hyper-V guest:

Please post back telling if it works or not.

Thema:

1. Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network - Similar Threads - Hyper virtual switch

2. Hyper-V virtual switches difference?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V virtual switches difference?: I made a new external switch in Hyper-V, and the screenshot below is what I have now: [img] First 3 adapters from screenshot are as follows: 1. Physical realtek adapter 2. Default (non removable) virtual switch 3. vEthernet is the external switch I made BUT, what is...
  3. Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Create Hyper-V VM and Hyper-V Virtual Switch: Hello, I have been trying to create a Ubuntu VM using Hyper-V for the past hour, but Windows still can't create one for me. Every time I tried to create it just says "The server encountered an error while creating VM name. 'VM name' failed to realize. Failed to access...
  4. Hyper-V Virtual Switch Issues

Hyper-V Virtual Switch Issues: I have multiple VMs that work very well but I am trying to limit some of them to accessing my internal network only but I have been unable to find a way to do that. The Default Switch simply doesn't allow access to my internal network and when I set the Virtual Switch that I...
  5. Can't enable Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch in Networking

Can't enable Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch in Networking: I can find the dialog to enable the Hyper-V Extensible Switch for my network card but when I say OK then it says: "Your current selection will also disable the following features: Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch" Yes or No Either way the selection becomes...
  6. Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V

Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V: Hi guys, I enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10 but unable to create a virtual switch. I tried to create private and internal types of virtual switch but every time the process stuck on "Applying changes". What could be the reason of that? Thank you. 61906
  7. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  8. Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch

Hyper-V - Unable to Create External Virtual Switch: I get the error "bind failed: General access denied error" when I try to create an external virtual switch. [img] I tried running Hyper-V with as admin without success. Kevin 43133
  9. Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Accesses the Internet With Hyper-V's Virtual Switch: After adding Hyper-V to Windows 10 Pro, Windows now accesses the internet with the virtual switch I created for Hyper-V instead of my Ethernet connection. Why isn't Windows 10 using my Ethernet connection? 83247
  10. Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch: Hey, new here. I wasn't sure if this should go in Network and Sharing or Programs and Apps, so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Anyways, while trying to set up a virtual switch I discover I need to install the 'Hyper-v Extensible Virtual Switch' network...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper v switch external breaks network

2. hyperv networking windows 10 default switch 1809

3. your current selection will also disable the following features: hyper-v extensible virtual switch

4. hyper vc external switch breaks my os,
  5. hyper v breaks my internet