Windows 10: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Discus and support Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Follow this great guide and got VirtualXp usable, however it can not see host files or printer while host can see VirtualXp files. Am able to use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ThrashZone, Oct 2, 2014.

1. drburdi Win User

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Follow this great guide and got VirtualXp usable, however it can not see host files or printer while host can see VirtualXp files. Am able to use the Internet from the virtual. I provided snips of virtual settings and network. Did I miss something to prevent me from seeing the host?

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 [​IMG]

drburdi, Aug 29, 2015

2. For the XP Mode to go on and work I will need to find a new switch since neither the one created for 7 or use of the Legacy type network adapter sees it connect. Of course XP would first look for the dial up type connection.

Night Hawk, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Marcin2m Win User
    Hello,
    I can't find Hyper-V in Win features list.
    I'm using Win10 Home edition, is it matter of Win edition?
    I remember, when using Win7 I couldn't use VM, but I found solution. Now, I don't know what to do.

My target is to install XP. Any other possibilities?

Marcin2m, Aug 29, 2015
  4. drburdi Win User

Hyper-V is not available with the Win10 Home edition. Need to upgrade to Pro. There are other virtual programs available, but I have no experience with them. Suggest doing a Web Search for them.

drburdi, Aug 29, 2015
  5. That's why Pro is Pro and Home is Home the same way the 7 Ultimate featured the BitLocker drive encryption tool the Home Premium edition didn't see and the retail tag was higher on the Pro and Ultiimate editions for seeing other features lacking in Home Premium and Starter editions while HP offered a bit more then Starter!

Since you have the Home edition there Marcin2m you may want to look over the other guides for VM Player and Virtual Box. I was just reading over one article that compared VBox 5.11 up against the VM Workstation 11 and just heard that Workstation 12 was now out. So you do have some other options available.

Night Hawk, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Marcin2m Win User
    Thanks a lot, I thought so *Sad
    I have two option, come back to win7 (with home premium was possible) or find an alternative.

Marcin2m, Aug 29, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    Run the XP Network Wizard (Explorer > My Network Places > Set up a home or small office network). When it asks the workgroup name, give the name of your network.

When done, on your XP vm, right click the network adapter and add TCP/IP version 6 protocol as shown in below screenshots:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Add a network printer in XP vm using the local printer option, not the network printer! Weird but works, just add a new local TCP/IP port and add the printer. When finished, follow the next wizard's instructions to install correct printer drivers if you hadn't already installed them:

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the printer installation.

In Windows 10, disable the 128 bit encryption:

Now all the network shares can be seen and added in XP, and XP is visible to the network:

If you just want to access the host resources instead of full network access, use the XP vm over Remote Desktop Connection instead of Virtual Machine Connection. This way you can access all host resources without limitations. Here connection over RDP, all host (Windows 10) drives shown in XP vm Explorer:

RDC tutorial: RDC - Connect Remotely to your Windows 10 PC - Windows 10 Forums

Whatever I try, however I set up an XP virtual machine, I cannot make it fail to connect. It always connects. My XP virtual machines always connect and always see the network and can be seen. Simply use the legacy NIC which is connected to a working external switch.

8. Marcin2m Win User

Well, I was not expected that is so easy...with VirtualBox (5.03). It's working so far perfectly.. faster than VM.
    *Smile

Marcin2m, Aug 30, 2015
  9. That's great news! I'm glad to hear that went well for you there. VBox is known for keeping things plain and simple while the other options tend to offer more features and can get into slightly more complicated set ups at times. But those are also intended for use by the more tech savy users like program developers, architects, and other professionals that will have the need to invest quite a bit more at times in virtualization.

I'll be giving that one a try out soon on the laptop that was upgraded for someone so they can see a VM at work! *Smile

Night Hawk, Aug 30, 2015
  10. I can't do it. It says virtualization is disabled in the firmware? How to fix?

MrRandomMan, Sep 1, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    You have to enable it in your BIOS or UEFI settings. As different BIOS / UEFI systems have different settings it is impossible to tell how to do it in your case. See this article for some more information: How to Enable Intel VT-x in Your Computers BIOS or UEFI Firmware

12. drburdi Win User
    I redid the steps and unfortunately I still can not print from my Sony Laptop, from VirtualXpPro, or from a VirtualXpPro dos window.
    All have access to the internet through the Win10 host and can read each other's files. The printer that VirtualXpPro sees is the host shared printer. Sony sees is it from VirtualXpPro, which I had it shared and now think that is wrong to do. Tried to re-install it as a networked printer but getting stopped by the request for a password. When given it says that credentials will be over-ridden but when answered it says that it can not done. Will try to go the local route tomorrow.
    I have attached a few more snapshots to show by host printer port and devices, and My Computer. Hopefully you can see what is wrong with my setup. I really do want to get this working since I have a few other computers that I will upgrade to Win10 and need the Hyper-V working.

drburdi, Sep 2, 2015
  13. Kari Win User

Did you install the correct printer drivers in XP, on your virtual machine? If XP vm has the correct drivers installed and it sees the printer on host, it should print.

14. drburdi Win User
    Yes. I checked Sony and VirtualXpPro and both have "Intel Windows 2000 or XP" box checked.

drburdi, Sep 2, 2015
  15. Kari Win User
    I don't get that? Do you have the HP LaserJet P1006 printer drivers installed on the Windows XP virtual machine? The virtual machine cannot use the drivers installed on host.

You need to install the drivers in XP, on your virtual machine.

Thema:

1. Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hyper virtualization Setup

2. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  3. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  4. Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V: Hi guys, I enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10 but unable to create a virtual switch. I tried to create private and internal types of virtual switch but every time the process stuck on "Applying changes". What could be the reason of that? Thank you. 61906
  5. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  6. Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?

Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?: Greetings. I set up Hyper-V in my Win 10 Anniversary install and created a Win 10 Virtual Machine which is fully activated. I tried setting up a picture password for this VM. The Picture Password option was not available but I got it to show using gpedit. I then set a...
  7. Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch: Hey, new here. I wasn't sure if this should go in Network and Sharing or Programs and Apps, so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Anyways, while trying to set up a virtual switch I discover I need to install the 'Hyper-v Extensible Virtual Switch' network...
  8. Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO: How to: Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO [img] Information To run a Windows Insider version of Windows 10, your PC does not have to be opted in for Insider builds. It's enough to have one machine opted in, use it to get Insider build upgrade and...
  9. Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Import Hyper-V Virtual Machines Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
  10. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
Tags: