Windows 10: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

Discus and support Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I don't get that? Do you have the HP LaserJet P1006 printer drivers installed on the Windows XP virtual machine? The virtual machine cannot use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ThrashZone, Oct 2, 2014.

1. drburdi Win User

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

I don't get it either. Noticed on Sony which is running Xp-Pro that my host printer is visible in File Explorer along with my host files. However in XP Sony AND Virtual, Device Manager has no printer listed. Any ideas why it is not shown but is shown on the host ?

drburdi, Sep 2, 2015
  2. Kari Win User

Please answer these two questions, with one word YES or NO:
    • Have you installed the HP LaserJet P1006 drivers on your Sony laptop?
    • Have you installed the HP LaserJet P1006 drivers on your Windows XP Hyper-V virtual machine?

Notice that it is not enough that you have the drivers installed on the computer which has the printer connected to it. Example from my network: I have among other machines an HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 with a PhotoSmart C309 printer connected to it with a USB cable, all PhotoSmart C309 drivers installed. That laptop has several Hyper-V virtual machines, among them Windows XP vm and a CentOS Linux vm. I have another HP ProBook laptop running Windows 8.1.

In order to be able to print from the Windows 8.1 laptop, CentOS virtual machine and Windows XP virtual machine using the printer connected to the Windows 10 laptop, I need to install printer drivers for HP PhotoSmart C309 on all of them. I download and install the drivers on CentOS vm, on Windows XP vm, and on Windows 8.1 laptop.

Only after I have installed the drivers on all of them can I connect and print to the printer on the Windows 10 laptop. When you connect one computer (physical PC or a vm) to a printer on another computer, both computers must have the proper drivers installed.

3. drburdi Win User
    Yes. I downloaded from HP the drivers for XP and Win10 and ran the 32 bit driver installation on Sony-XP and VirtualXpPro, Also ran the 64 bit HP driver on the host (Win10). Then I went into each printer after installation and ran the printer driver update selection for XP and Win10. Don't know which driver is shown. I assume it picks the newest driver.
    Just deleted the printer on Sony and reinstalled, or at least tried to for the printer. If I selected "network printer" it would not find it. Then I selected "local printer" and it still could not find it. Had to give it \\asusdrb direction and it asked for a password to the host. I don't require one to start computer but did have one ealier. So I gave that one and it came up with "credentials not sufficent to access the printer. Do you want to specify new credentials?" Seems like yesterday I was able to install without this requirement. I really think I should be able to see the printer when viewing in either XP machine/Virtual?

drburdi, Sep 2, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

If a printer asks for password to an account without a password, you should leave the password empty.

5. drburdi Win User
    That is one of the things I tried and it comes up with "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed."

I installed Hp latest driver and connected directly to Sony-xp. That connection works and prints. Next I installed a local printer using \\asusdrb Local Port (is this correct?) from my Win10 host, but that did not print. I see both printers on Sony-Xp. Any other suggestions?

drburdi, Sep 2, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    And you have the sharing settings in host computer (that one with the printer connected to) correctly set:

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 [​IMG]

7. drburdi Win User
    Have what you show above. Did find out 15 minutes ago that my host printer was turned off sharing so I changed it to "sharing". Don't know how it got turned off. Now do I need to reinstall the Xp printers after turning it back on?

Just noticed that there are 2 unknow devices in Device Manager. That happened before also. Plus I have no printers shown in the list

drburdi, Sep 3, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

You should not need to reinstall the drivers. Test, do it if necessary.

9. drburdi Win User
    I am concerned that I do not see any printers in Device Manager for either XP's but do see them in host. I did install correctly a printer when hooked up to Sony-xp. Is this correct with windows xp vs 10?

drburdi, Sep 3, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    No, it's not correct. I really do not know why you can't get it to work. Does the other way around, connecting the printer to the XP laptop and printing from Windows 10 to that work?

11. drburdi Win User
    Printing from host works. If I connect the usb printer to Sony-Xp directly and install this printer, it works.

Ops, I did not understand until now so I tried to install the Sony=xp printer but it could not see it. It saw every other print that is for faxes, quicken, etc. Weird.

Oops again. I just remembered that I need to share the Sony printer before it can be seen. Did that and installed network printer on host and behold it printed a page. So it works one way but not the other.

drburdi, Sep 3, 2015
  12. Kari Win User
    But can you print to the printer from your current host if the printer is connected to Sony-XP?

13. drburdi Win User

Yes, that is what I did.

drburdi, Sep 3, 2015
  14. Kari Win User
    It means 10 can connect to XP but the same XP can't connect to the same 10. Logical conclusion: you have something wrong in your 10 network and sharing settings and / or firewall.

15. drburdi Win User
    Can I open something from each computer and compare?

Since I can see files either way, it has to do with printing, right?

drburdi, Sep 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hyper virtualization Setup

2. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  3. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  4. Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V: Hi guys, I enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10 but unable to create a virtual switch. I tried to create private and internal types of virtual switch but every time the process stuck on "Applying changes". What could be the reason of that? Thank you. 61906
  5. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  6. Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?

Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?: Greetings. I set up Hyper-V in my Win 10 Anniversary install and created a Win 10 Virtual Machine which is fully activated. I tried setting up a picture password for this VM. The Picture Password option was not available but I got it to show using gpedit. I then set a...
  7. Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch: Hey, new here. I wasn't sure if this should go in Network and Sharing or Programs and Apps, so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Anyways, while trying to set up a virtual switch I discover I need to install the 'Hyper-v Extensible Virtual Switch' network...
  8. Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO: How to: Use Hyper-V virtual machine to get Windows 10 Insider ISO [img] Information To run a Windows Insider version of Windows 10, your PC does not have to be opted in for Insider builds. It's enough to have one machine opted in, use it to get Insider build upgrade and...
  9. Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Import Hyper-V Virtual Machines Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
  10. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...
Tags: