Windows 10: HYPER-V with Hardware SAS RAID only on VM - possible ?

Discus and support HYPER-V with Hardware SAS RAID only on VM - possible ? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Looking at nice fast SAS RAID stuff for the VM --any idea if it's possible to pass thru the RAID controller to the VM without Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V with Hardware SAS RAID only on VM - possible ?

Hi there

Looking at nice fast SAS RAID stuff for the VM --any idea if it's possible to pass thru the RAID controller to the VM without Windows seeing it or the HDD's it will be attached to -- I want mega fast I/O so I want to use RAID 0 -- not worried about failure as I have enough backup.

I want the attached HDD's to the RAID controller to go straight to the VM as "Raw" HDD's.
    Possible from Windows Host or not.

No problem with current setup although Windows still shows the 2 HDD's (Non SAS) that I've attached to the VM as "Non initialized". (HDD's formatted XFS). It would be nice if Windows didn't even SEE these drives so ALL the I/O was totally done by the VM..

What I'd also like is a really stripped down version of Windows so most of the resources can go to the VM which I'm using as a Server. Was looking at Windows 2016 server - but it's hopelessly expensive for home users - although you can get a Trial.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 20, 2016

2. Hyper-V VHD issue (RAID 0 setup)

Hello all,

I just tried using Hyper-V after upgrading my desktop hardware to a setup with 2 drives (identical drives) in a RAID0 setup.

Before the upgrade (and reïnstallation of Windows 10) i was able to create as many VM's with VHD as i want, however sinds the upgrade of my hardware this is no longer possible.

When i now try to create a new VM in Hyper-V Manager in the final step i get an error saying that the storage location on my Virtual Harddrive is not supporting sharing of Virtual Harddrives.

Does this mean that Hyper-V see's a RAID0 setup as a VHD and therefor is not capable of connecting VHD's to my VM's? Saying Hyper-V is not capable of working with RAID0 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Kind Regards,

Bart

Apocalypss, Oct 20, 2016
  3. Install windows 10 on hyper-v running on a windows 10 host licensing - Activation

I don't think that will work. In a Hyper-v VM the hardware is emulated; it is not the same hardware as the base machine. The OS in the VM will fail to activate.

Alan Russell, Oct 20, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Might be tricky. I mean, there's of course an option to use physical disks on Hyper-V vm, but to do that the disks must be set offline on host first. Using host hardware RAID controller on a vm is if not completely impossible but at least very tricky and difficult.

There's very little information available about using RAID on Hyper-V virtual machines, the information available suggests you should use either software RAID or Storage Pools / SAN.

A bit older TechNet article still worth to read: Planning for Disks and Storage

This is also a good series of articles: Storage planning for Hyper-V Hosts (Part 1) :: Windows Server 2012 :: Articles Tutorials :: WindowsNetworking.com

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks

A bit more research !!!! - still weather lousy and cold so something to do. !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HYPER-V with Hardware SAS RAID only on VM - possible ? - Similar Threads - HYPER Hardware SAS

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Problem with VM on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with VM on Hyper-V: Good morning,after installing updates on windows server 2008 R2 it's a server to do some lab tests, I know the OS is obsolete, the VM working on Hyper-V starts normally and works but the screen remains black. How can I solve the problem?Looking online, the server in question...
  5. Problem with VM on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with VM on Hyper-V: Good morning,after installing updates on windows server 2008 R2 it's a server to do some lab tests, I know the OS is obsolete, the VM working on Hyper-V starts normally and works but the screen remains black. How can I solve the problem?Looking online, the server in question...
  6. Hyper-V-Manager not possible to passtrough linux VM audio.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hyper-V-Manager not possible to passtrough linux VM audio.: Hellou hope anybody know exactly a answer for my problem: Following problem occour: Hyper - V & Linux Mint 19.3 [VM NO AUDIO] over Hyper V Manager! My Host System is Win 10 Pro x64 . And Linux VM is Linux Mint 19.3. x64. I try a lot of sugessstion in diffrent forums for...
  7. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  8. Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.: Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder. Clicking OneDrive doesn't give a OneDrive folder. 111321
  9. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  10. Hyper-V VM has no sound

Hyper-V VM has no sound: This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs. Expanding and a device...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virtual disk hyperv on sas raid 6