Windows 10: HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

Discus and support HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 11, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

Hi there

just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!).

Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V

VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7)

VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine (VM1) --created XP VM --works fine !!!!

I know it's Bonkers but I was curious to see if the HYPERVISOR (HYPER-V) on the Host would propagate its properties to a second level machine (VM1) preventing VMWARE workstation from running.

Seems that the XP VM which is using VM1 as its Host doesn't know anything about HYPER-V nor does VM1.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 11, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

virtual machine

VirtualBox and VMWare Workstation are the easiest VMs to setup. Both have detailed tutorials on the web.

Microsoft's own Hyper-V is just as capable but not as easy to understand and setup. That seems to be slowly changing, as the Creators Update included a new Quick Create tool, and rumor has it that virtual appliances for Hyper-V are on the way.

BulldogXX, Nov 11, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How Can I use Windows 10 to Run a program written for Windows 98?

Sure, no problem and it's free: Run your program in a Windows 98 virtual machine.

Setting up a virtual machine with VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation player is easy - there are many tutorials on the web. Install Windows 98 in the VM and then install your program.

You can also create a VM with Microsoft's own Hyper-V but the process is more tricky to understand.

BulldogXX, Nov 11, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

It's entertaining to test various nested scenarios *Smile

I've had Windows XP Mode running on Microsoft Virtual PC installed on Windows 7 Ultimate vm running on a nested Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V vm running on Windows 10 Enterprise host.

Thema:

1. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation - Similar Threads - HYPER second level

2. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine: I know it's been out in beta a while, but the new Version of VMware workstation (15.5.5) is now out which can be installed on a system with Hyper-V active. This is great if you need to do testing with both Hypervisors. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Note that this...
  3. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V Working Together

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V Working Together: Yesterday VMware demonstrated a pre-release version of VMware Workstation with early support for the Windows Hypervisor Platform in the What's New in VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation session at VMworld. In Windows 10 we have introduced many security features that utilize...
  4. VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V: Hi folks would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V. Using a W7 VM (with latest updates applied) I got a reasonable performance spec on an 8GB HP envy laptop -- I chose W7 as the built in...
  5. Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains: I have used Hyper-V in the past on Server 2008 some years back and typically used rdp from another machine to access the VM's. I have a lot more experience over the years using VMWare Workstation (ESX too) as well as VirtualBox. I thought I would give Hyper-V another go...
  6. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have enabled Hyper-V previously and you are trying to install VMware or any other virtual machine creator, you may confront an error – VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Users face such an issue since Windows 10 [...] This post VMware...
  7. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  8. Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware

Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware: Hi there particularly @Kari - you seem to be the resident expert on HYPER-V !!!! I have two reasonably identical VM's (Linux CENTOS 7 basically runnng SAMBA, PLEX media server, logitech media server and sharing some files). The shared files are on 2 logical RAID 0...
  9. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  10. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
Tags: