Windows 10: Hyperlink Not Working In Document, But Copy/Paste Into Browser Does

Discus and support Hyperlink Not Working In Document, But Copy/Paste Into Browser Does in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To add, and so you will know, in File Explorer or wherever the .reg file is stored you can right-click it and use Edit, BUT only if you know what needs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Berton, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Berton Win User

Hyperlink Not Working In Document, But Copy/Paste Into Browser Does

To add, and so you will know, in File Explorer or wherever the .reg file is stored you can right-click it and use Edit, BUT only if you know what needs changing, one misstep when merged will allow reinstalling Windows. [Knowledge is power]

Berton, Apr 5, 2018

2. Hi All,

My first post!

I created hyperlinks in Word & Excel and up until recently I wasn’t having aproblem. One day, out of the blue, I clicked this link and I got this error message “This operation hasbeen canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contactyour system administrator”. Doing a right click on the link, selecting "Open" I get the same error. However, it will work if I select "Edit", do a copy and paste into a browser.

I have a phonebook created with Excel. I have two types of links: 1.) Existing File or Webpage 2.) Place in this document. Link #1 Does Not Work. Link #2 does work.

I spent most of yesterday trying to fix it without success. Obviously that's why I am here. I spent time searching this forum, but again wasn't successful. Would it be Ok if I could, temporarily, get a few hints to try to fix it on my own?

Thanks in advance!

I.A. H. S.

:)

I Am His Son, Apr 16, 2018
  3. Is copying Favorites from Internet Explorer PC to WP7 in the works?

Very doubtful. But as a workaround you can probably copy all of your links into a word document and move the word document to your phone. Then when the copy and paste functionality comes out maybe it can be used to paste the links into your browser.
    Workaround #2: Paste all of your weblinks into hyperlinks in a forum or in an email. Then on your phone navigate to that email/page, click/save, click/save, click/save.

oneoreleven, Apr 16, 2018
  4. fishwire Win User

windows 10 mobile text web page links

Hi

updated to windows 10 for mobile

one annoying thing is when I get hyperlinks via text they do not work I have to copy and paste into the browser this was not an issue on windows 8

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks Lumia 735

fishwire, Apr 16, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
  6. Try3 Win User
    The Microsoft KB on the subject at Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook KB310049 has now become available again. You can use
    • method 2 [resetting IE in order to alter Registry settings through the UI]
    or
    • method 3 [editing the Registry directly in order to achieve the same result].
    If you use method 3 then note that there is a stupid typo in it, the Registry key you need to check is
    actually HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html [i.e. there is no space in the middle of it]

Denis

7. I definitely appreciate your help! Frustrating! Thank you!! I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Again, thank you very much.

I. A. H. S.

I Am His Son, Apr 16, 2018
  8. Hyperlink Not Working In Document, But Copy/Paste Into Browser Does

Denis,

I tried what you suggested and nothing has changed.

Now what?

I Am His Son, Apr 18, 2018
  9. Try3 Win User
    So if you look in the Registry using RegEdit -
    1 The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command key looks like this?

Hyperlink Not Working In Document, But Copy/Paste Into Browser Does [​IMG]

2 The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html has this (Default) entry?

Hyperlink Not Working In Document, But Copy/Paste Into Browser Does [​IMG]

I have never heard of this fix failing before.

Denis

10. I wrote out a quick reply, but clicked "SOLVED" before sending. I tried "Method 2: Reset Internet Explorer settings" without success; and unable to do "Method 3: Export and import the registry key from another computer" Not one that handy! Long story short. I saw your snippet with htmlfile, etc. Well, mine had Firefox instead.

I can, but not crazy about playing with the registry!

Thank you!

Bob

I Am His Son, Apr 18, 2018
  11. Try3 Win User
    Bob,

That Slipstick link has a copy of the Registry key you can download. It is a bit more reliable than writing it all out manually merely because of the risk of typos.

But if the only difference is Firefox then try uninstalling then reinstalling Firefox instead. It might be enough to reset it all correctly without your going into the Registry at all.

The safe way to work if you are using RegEdit is to first right-click on each key that you will be working on then select Export. The best format is the default one it offers you [.reg]. You can Open with Notepad to read it and you can also double-click on it if you want to set things back to the way they were.

Denis

12. Denis, Hi! I made the change using RegEdit. I decided not to re-install Firefox. I also uninstalled Google Chrome. I don't like their ui. I do, however, have to remember to back up RegEdit. Nothing has happened, but I prefer not to meet with Murphy's Law.

One last question, for this thread. I'm new to this forum, but I hope to help others down the road. How do you keep track of your post and someone you help answers. Keep handy? What was the most challenging with regards to functionality of this forum?

Again, thank you!

Bob

I Am His Son, Apr 20, 2018
  13. Berton Win User

If I may, you can Subscribe to the thread and any new posts should send you an E-Mail with such notification. Before clicking Submit scroll down to Additional Options for the Subscription choice.

Berton, Apr 20, 2018
  14. Thanks! Nothing personal, but is there a link I can click which will talk about subscriptions more?

I Am His Son, Apr 20, 2018
  15. Berton Win User
    Check the tabs at the top, second row. For me the choice to Subscribe shows when posting new or replying before clicking Submit and will not show again on a particular thread once it has been subscribed to. I do get a notice every time there is an added reply.

Berton, Apr 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyperlink Not Working In Document, But Copy/Paste Into Browser Does - Similar Threads - Hyperlink Working Document

2. i can't copy/paste hyperlinks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can't copy/paste hyperlinks: I Used to copy text with links. But now when I try, it copies only text, not the link. So Far Tried i Different browser edge, mozila and chromeii Disable all extension iii Tried in incognito mode iv No antivirus, did full scan for viruses No threats found v Cleared all...
  3. i can't copy/paste hyperlinks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i can't copy/paste hyperlinks: I Used to copy text with links. But now when I try, it copies only text, not the link. So Far Tried i Different browser edge, mozila and chromeii Disable all extension iii Tried in incognito mode iv No antivirus, did full scan for viruses No threats found v Cleared all...
  4. i can't copy/paste hyperlinks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Copy and Past Does not Work with Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy and Past Does not Work with Microsoft Edge: When using CTRL+C and CTRL+V unable to copy and paste from edge. Cleared cache/cookies/history, and even repaired and reinstalled Edge still not working. On Windows 10 PC. Can right click and select copy and it works but this is time consuming with multiple lines of text that...
  6. Copy and Past Does not Work with Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy and Past Does not Work with Microsoft Edge: When using CTRL+C and CTRL+V unable to copy and paste from edge. Cleared cache/cookies/history, and even repaired and reinstalled Edge still not working. On Windows 10 PC. Can right click and select copy and it works but this is time consuming with multiple lines of text that...
  7. Copy and Past Does not Work with Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Chromium browsers and copy/paste feature

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chromium browsers and copy/paste feature: Hi, non of the chromium browsers work on my pc, I installed windows multiple times, wiped all the discs however still no luck by doing so I faced another problem where if I try to copy/paste, drag/drop a file explorer crashes. I tried following instructions from online forums...
  9. Copying and Pasting Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying and Pasting Documents: I am using windows 10. I recently decided I no longer wanted to back my files up in my Onedrive, so I turned off all the backing up and I am copying the files from the one drive to paste them back into my computer. When I went to my documents in my one drive folder, I could...
  10. Snip & Sketch copy/paste does not work

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Snip & Sketch copy/paste does not work: I am using the latest version of Win10. Snip & Sketch copy/paste does not work. When I Ctrl-V to paste into LibreOffice Writer, nothing happens. I can paste into Gmail, but even if I do that and then Ctrl-C that image and then Ctrl-V to LibreOffice Writer, all I get is a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when I am pasting ahyperlink in word document it does not reflect a hyperlink

2. copy and past hyper link not working