Windows 10: Hypothetical question re Win 10 home-Pro upgrade.

Discus and support Hypothetical question re Win 10 home-Pro upgrade. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've asked this on various Windows forums & received conflicting replies; some say it'll works while other say it won't, posting here to get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bastet, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Bastet Win User

Hypothetical question re Win 10 home-Pro upgrade.

I've asked this on various Windows forums & received conflicting replies; some say it'll works while other say it won't, posting here to get a genuinely honest answer.
    Long story so bear with me.
    I previously has a Vista premium/pro laptop which was retired & I bought a Win 7, this came with the Win 8 upgrade offer which I chose to receive on CD which came with a Windows 8 pro key. Before I could install win 8 on win 7 laptop, it failed so I received a refund but was left with the upgrade & key doing nothing. I installed Win 8 over Vista & eventually I also upgraded Win 10 after several months of Windows 8/8.1 working fine.
    Now I have a Win 10 home laptop as old one died, my question is can I use the win 8 pro key to upgrade win 10 home to pro or was it absorbed into Windows 10 upgrade on the old Windows Vista-Windows 8 laptop.
    I just want to make sure before I throw the CD & key away that it cannot be used again to install Win 8 or upgrade Windows.
    TIA,

:)

Bastet, Apr 26, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

Long story so bear with me.

I previously has a Vista premium/pro laptop which was retired & I bought a Win 7, this came with the Win 8 upgrade on CD with a key - key says it's win 8 pro, before I could install win 8 on win 7 laptop, it failed so received a refund, I installed Win 8
    over Vista & eventually installed Win 10.

Now I have a Win 10 home laptop as old one died, can I use the win 8 pro key to upgrade win 10 to pro or was it absorbed into Windows 10 upgrade.

I just want to make sure before I throw the CD & key away that it cannot be used again to install Win 8 or upgrade Windows.

TIA,

Time Lady, Apr 26, 2016
  3. Hypothetical question re Win 10 home-Pro upgrade.

It can be used.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the following default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Review instructions how to perform an Easy Upgrade using the default key:

How
    to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10

After upgrading, proceed to enter the Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Windows 8 Pro product key.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key

Enter the product key, close then restart your computer, it should reactivate automatically.

If the product key was previously in use, you might have to use contact chat support to reactivate:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Apr 26, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

First question - (and probably the only one that really matters) - did the various OS versions come pre-installed on on a system, (supplied by the manufacturer)?

If this is the case then the OS is tied to the original hardware and "dies" with that system, it may be upgraded but not transferred to another system.

If the OS you have is a Retail OS then this can be transferred as many times as you wish, as long it is only in use on one machine at any time.

Barman58, Apr 26, 2016
  5. Bastet Win User
    Yes the Vista was pre-installed & had the key on the bottom of the laptop, when I upgraded I then entered the key which came with Win 8.

Bastet, Apr 26, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    What you can do is download a program made by one of our members here. Run this program on the computer in question and it will report to you the Key # and if it is a OEM key or a Retail Key. If its reported as Retail then you can use it to upgrade to Windows 10, same version Home for home ..Pro for Pro
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html

OldMike65, Apr 26, 2016
  7. AnEdge Win User
    Just enter the key and see if it takes. Make sure its not activated on the other machine. You should find the upgrade to pro on the lower portion of the System page. If it doesn't take it will say its not a valid key, and if it does work, celebrate!!

AnEdge, Apr 26, 2016
  8. Fafhrd Win User

The Win 8 offer in 2012 was a retail license if offered with Windows 7, even if the installed Windows 7 was OEM - as OldMike says, run Showkey for confirmation.

Fafhrd, Apr 26, 2016
  9. Bastet Win User
    I no longer have the original Vista/Win 8/8.1-10 laptop as MB failed, I know the current laptop has OEM version of Win 10 home.

Bastet, Apr 26, 2016
  10. Bastet Win User
    Will try that later, haven't so far as I didn't wish to mess up the original OEM key but if it just rejects the key if it isn't valid then it's worth a shot.

Bastet, Apr 26, 2016
  11. AnEdge Win User
    Let us know how it works out, good luck. Just make sure you go to upgrade link, and not to the change the product key link. I know its a trivial point, but I've seen some make that mistake over the years.

AnEdge, Apr 26, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    An upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using just a Windows 8 Pro key has never worked, even with valid Windows 8 Pro keys. The only way it works is to enter the generic Windows 10 Pro key to trigger the upgrade first, and after the upgrade, enter the Windows 8 Pro key to activate it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 26, 2016
  13. Fafhrd Win User

Showkey

will check a key if you enter it into the program, even on a different machine - it does not need to have the key installed to identify what type it is!

Hypothetical question re Win 10 home-Pro upgrade. [​IMG]

Fafhrd, Apr 26, 2016
  14. Bastet Win User
    That was the thing which was worrying me, I didn't want to try that & then not be able to return to the home version.

Bastet, Apr 26, 2016
  15. Barman58 Win User
    Also you have to realise that sometimes the Microsoft licence servers will accept a key only to reject it at a later date, this is due to the way that the licensing operates. The system will check the status of the key against the latest database every 90 days, this is done to keep up to date with the latest pirate keys and technologies. this does mean that a legitimate OEM key may be accepted at first when transferred but fail with a subsequent run of the checks, (when databases are updated).

The use of Showkey gives a much better specific check of the status, and type of licence than the "Suck & See" method, and will better prevent the additional work required if a key is rejected at a later date *Wink

Barman58, Apr 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Hypothetical question re Win 10 home-Pro upgrade. - Similar Threads - Hypothetical question home

2. upgrading win 10 home to Pro.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading win 10 home to Pro.: I already have WIN 10 PRO and HOME, How do I upgrade HOME to PRO without buying it again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-win-10-home-to-pro/6e195669-fa02-47ab-9d96-41e129a3904c
  3. Hypothetical question.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hypothetical question.: Let's say we have a laptop with a bad C-drive. Windows 10 isn't running well on it. Well, if you got a replacement C-drive, then inserted it into the computer, replacing the old one, will you get a new, clean Windows 10, or will you be stuck on the crappy version that was on...
  4. Question regarding upgrade from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question regarding upgrade from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro: Hello. I am thinking of upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. If I purchase the new product key, do I have to do a full backup of my computer as if for a full upgrade or does the new product key just unlock the upgraded version?...
  5. Upgrading Win 10 Home to Pro

Upgrading Win 10 Home to Pro: I am attempting to upgrade my new PC from Win 10 Home to Pro using a Win 8 Pro key. My old Win 10 laptop screen broke which I had used the Win 8 Pro key to upgrade in the past. I bought a new PC and am trying to upgrade from 10 Home to Pro with the same 8 Pro key. I was...
  6. Win 10 Home to Pro Upgrade

Win 10 Home to Pro Upgrade: I am under the impression that I can use my Win 7 Pro product key to upgrade my Win 10 Home to Pro … is that true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-home-to-pro-upgrade/f9099c66-ec7c-4164-9c1d-6c13c9e11463
  7. Upgrading Win 10 home to pro

Upgrading Win 10 home to pro: I have Windows 10 home version on my laptop. I have purchased the pro version of Windows 10 and would like to upgrade. Is it possible to enter the pro version's serial number into the home version and have it update or do I need to wipe the drive and start fresh with the...
  8. Win 10 Upgrade Home to Pro

Win 10 Upgrade Home to Pro: I have an ASUS laptop which came with Win 10 Home. It has been activated and working fine for more than a year. I need the remote Desktop, so I went to the MS Store and paid my $99 for an upgrade to Pro. Now Win won't activate, saying I don't have a valid license. Also it...
  9. Win 10 Home to Pro upgrade

Win 10 Home to Pro upgrade: How do I upgrade from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro with a digital Licence. The in structions say If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, select Go to Microsoft Store and you'll be prompted to upgrade to...
  10. upgrade win 10 home to pro

upgrade win 10 home to pro: what is the cost to upgrade from win 10 home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/upgrade-win-10-home-to-pro/2e3cb2b5-dbe0-408b-8cd5-52c230e6a815