Windows 10: I am getting a W-10 upgrade Assistant popup. I have had W10 installed

Discus and support I am getting a W-10 upgrade Assistant popup. I have had W10 installed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been using Windows 10 on my laptop almost since it came out. In the last few days I have started getting a rather large, white background popup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jbow, Jul 8, 2016.

1. jbow Win User

I am getting a W-10 upgrade Assistant popup. I have had W10 installed

I've been using Windows 10 on my laptop almost since it came out. In the last few days I have started getting a rather large, white background popup window that says it is Windows 10 upgrade Assistant. I'm not sure what this is or why I am getting it. I suspect malware but Norton didn't find anything. I have Malwarebytes Premium and will run it.
    Does anyone have any idea what this is or why I am getting it?

Thanks for the help... nervous!

Julien

:)

jbow, Jul 8, 2016
  2. sncalaska Win User

windows 10 pro does not update: not automatically nor does it show any available updates after i upgraded...

I think i am still having a problem with windows updates.

i have only received 1 update so far this year.

is that possible with a new OS: W10, only 1 update?

how can i get some help with this?

i do not like the idea of possibly not getting a bunch of updates w/windows.

note from my above thread that i had initially done a fresh install of W7 and then almost immediately upgraded to W10.

w/W7 install i had massive update problems (read above).

sc

sncalaska, Jul 8, 2016
  3. sncalaska Win User
    windows 10 pro does not update: not automatically nor does it show any available updates after i upgraded...

Jan. 5, 2015

i have tried a bunch of tips i found on line, including microsoft diagnostic software and troubleshooting on the OS to correct problems with updating.

i still continue to get no updates since my upgrade to W10 on the last day of 2015.

can anyone offer a solution?

is there any way to tell if there is a problem?

or has windows 10 not had any updates since 2015?

sc

i had recently done a fresh install of W7 pro just before doing the W10 upgrade. with the W7 install i had massive update problems including errors, not updating, not showing available updates, hanging up, and then inundating me w/updates.

this really concerns me because the problem w/W7 seems to have carried over to my W10 upgrade.

sncalaska, Jul 8, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

there have been a few upgrades to the original build of Windows 10, most notably in November 2015. And the next one will be on Aug 2. Go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type winver and press enter. This will tell you what version of Windows you have. If it is Not version 1511, then the Upgrade Assistant may be offering you the upgrade

spunk, Jul 8, 2016
  5. jbow Win User
    Thank you, if it comes back I'll try that. In fact I'll look anyway. I think I remember having to roll back an update but I thought I reinstalled it but I'll check. I deleted the "Assistant" again and so far it has not come back. I ran a full virus scan and Malwarebytes, rebooted after uninstalling it again. It bothered me that the word china is in it, as with some others. Seems spooky, then again if it was some malware from China surely they wouldn't add the word china in the location/properties. I'll follow up if it comes back and I'll check my version... thanks again!
    Julien

jbow, Jul 8, 2016
  6. jbow Win User
    It is version 10.0 (build 10240). It hasn't been a problem. I wonder why it is just popping up? I guess if it does again, I'll try to ease my way through it. I've had several updates that required a restart over the last months though... weird. I just want to be sure I'm not installing some malware.
    Thanks,
    J

jbow, Jul 8, 2016
  7. jbow Win User
    How d I find, download, and install 1511 manually? Is there a way?

jbow, Jul 8, 2016
  8. jbow Win User

BTW, in settings. Windows Update tells me I am up to date: "Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ‏‎8:29 PM"...
    IDK, MS is weird sometimes.
    J

jbow, Jul 8, 2016
  9. Grizzly Win User
    the actual Version of Windows 10 is 1511 OS build 10586.420 .
    yours is a version prior to the November update. What you can do is using the Media creation tool and upgrade your Windows 10 with that. After finishing the upgrade you will have to install the latest cumulative update (which the Update will show you anyway). Then you will be up-to-date for the next round on August 2nd 2016 when Redstone will be released.

Grizzly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I am getting a W-10 upgrade Assistant popup. I have had W10 installed - Similar Threads - getting upgrade Assistant

2. I am getting a popup that I have trojan_%$@!F.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am getting a popup that I have trojan_%$@!F.: I am getting a popup that I have trojan_%$@!F. When I run scan AVG, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender they do not find a virus. What do I do to stop the popup?...
  3. I am having problems with yahoo mail on w10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am having problems with yahoo mail on w10: I recently removed and reinstalled yahoo mail on my phone and now i am totally unable to get my w10 computer to work with it. I keep getting the Something went wrong error 0x8019019a. I have checked the defender firewall and it is showing that mail can come through. I have...
  4. I am having problems with yahoo mail on w10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am having problems with yahoo mail on w10: I recently removed and reinstalled yahoo mail on my phone and now i am totally unable to get my w10 computer to work with it. I keep getting the Something went wrong error 0x8019019a. I have checked the defender firewall and it is showing that mail can come through. I have...
  5. i had a automatic virus popup

i had a automatic virus popup: i have had a virus pop up and try to download itself it was a trojan under the name "your file is ready to download" i cancelled from the edge tab when you download something it lets you press an X and it cancels the download i and couldnt find any trace of it on my pc im...
  6. I am running W7, trying to upgrade to W10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am running W7, trying to upgrade to W10.: Split from this thread. Same issue here. And yes, I did buy a licence. But I never get to the point where I'm asked for the product key. I also get the same message at the end of the process: "The updates are installed but Windows 10 Setup needs to restart for them to...
  7. Why am I getting this Popup?

Why am I getting this Popup?: Hi Support, Since an update to my Win10 2 days ago I've been getting this popup when the computer logs in. [ATTACH] I bought this computer with Win10 installed for personal use. It is a Wacom Mobilestudio Pro 16 from 2017. Thank you, Christian Moir...
  8. Am I having a W10 Update problem

Am I having a W10 Update problem: I bought a new Acer Aspire W10 computer 3 weeks ago. (It has an SSD if that matters). Anyway, when I go to check update, it says up to date, yet my winver is 1803. Shouldn't I have a later version. (It did d/l an update for 1803) Mel...
  9. Upgraded W Defender in W10 1709

Upgraded W Defender in W10 1709: As a novice I am definitely qualified in PC security. With the installation of W10 1709 I noticed Defender is supposedly very much upgraded. Question, is the upgraded Defender strong enough to use as my primary security software? I previously had McAfee. 96624
  10. Installed W-10 and now get popups

in Windows 10 Support
    Installed W-10 and now get popups: Took advantage of the W-10 free update and now get popups, particularly, for the cloud. I have an Asus laptop and these happen shortly after I boot. Same machine, was OS W_8.1. Is there a way to block them? Bill 34273