Windows 10: I am locked out of my Administrator account (very complicated issue)

Discus and support I am locked out of my Administrator account (very complicated issue) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am currently on a different computer than the one where I am locked out of the Administrator account. Less than 3 weeks ago, I bought a new laptop... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Hyperspace, Dec 25, 2015.

1. I am locked out of my Administrator account (very complicated issue)

I am currently on a different computer than the one where I am locked out of the Administrator account.

Less than 3 weeks ago, I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 10 installed. When I finally set up the new laptop and tried out Windows 10 for the first time, I was annoyed at the whole thing with Windows blocking some programs from being installed and a lot of other annoying prompts. This is when I found out about a higher level of Administrator access known as a Super Administrator to avoid most of these prompts, and install programs without being blocked by Windows. So what I did created a new user account with the Command Prompt and gave it Super Administrator access without setting a password. Once I logged into my new user account, I deleted all of the other user accounts on my computer, since I had no need for the other user accounts (such as the Guest account).

The real trouble happened when my computer crashed and experienced a BSOD. After the computer rebooted from the BSOD, I found out that I could not log into the Administrator account because it prompts for a password, but I never set up a password for the account. Inputting no password does not work. I am not sure how a password was set up on the Administrator account without my knowledge and whether this might have been related to my BSOD crash.

I have made an attempt to get back into my only user account, but nothing has worked so far. All of the built-in Windows diagnostic tools have failed to work, since they all require that I log into the Administrator account, which I am unable to do. My original plan was to use the option to reset my PC that lets me keep my files, but that won't work without having access to the Administrator account. I have no idea what password is on my Administrator account considering that I never set up a password and somehow the account now has a password on it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get back into my Administrator account?

:)

Hyperspace, Dec 25, 2015

2. *SOLVED* Locked out of administrator account

when I try to sign in safe mode with my normal account it says only administrators can. When I do it with the admin account it fails to load the account.

FrazerCowan, Dec 25, 2015
  3. *SOLVED* Locked out of administrator account

Could you check if you can sign in through Safe Mode?

At the sign in screen...

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen.

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart.

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears.

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced Options

Click Startup Settings

Click Restart

Press (4) to Enable Safe Mode

Wait while Windows 10 starts in safe mode.

At the command prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Hit Enter

Close command prompt, restart, then try signing into the Administrator account.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 25, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I am locked out of my Administrator account (very complicated issue)

Brink, Dec 25, 2015
  5. Thank you for your response. I have a USB drive that I can use, so I will download this tool and set up a bootable USB drive for re-installing Windows 10. I will report back here later on to confirm if this solves my problem.

Hyperspace, Dec 25, 2015
  6. I have made an attempt to re-install Windows 10 from a USB drive, and I have no idea what options to select during each step of the process. Although the instructions for setting up the USB drive were pretty clear and had plenty of screenshots, this is not the case when it comes time to actually using the USB drive to re-install Windows 10. Since I cannot take any screenshots of the prompts that come up during each step of the process, I will type out the text that is shown.

This is the very first prompt that comes up after my computer detects the bootable USB drive:

It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click Yes. If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click No.

I have no idea which option to choose here, since I don't want to pick the wrong option and lose my personal files completely.

Hyperspace, Dec 26, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    A reset would basically be the same as doing a clean install. You will lose anything that you don't have backed up to another location. If you don't have a backup, then you could use the method in the tutorial below to back up your files before doing a reset.

Peppermint Live CD/DVD/USB - Create for Emergency Backup - Windows 7 Help Forums

You would use OPTION FIVE below to boot to advanced startup when you boot from your USB.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

You would then follow the steps below to reset.

Reset Windows 10

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  8. I am locked out of my Administrator account (very complicated issue)

I had no problem setting up Peppermint Live on a USB drive and obtaining all of my personal files before proceeding with a complete re-install of Windows 10. Re-installing Windows 10 fixed my issue and I am no longer locked out of the main Administrator account. I can say right now that my issue has been solved.

The only thing left for me to do is re-install some programs that I lost from re-installing Windows, but this will be fairly easy to do.

This time around, I have set up a second Administrator account with an actual password on it in the event I get locked out of my main Administrator account (no password).

Hyperspace, Dec 26, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad to hear that you were able to get all your files backed up, and that everything is ok now. *Party

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I am locked out of my Administrator account (very complicated issue)

1. I am locked out of my Administrator account (very complicated issue) - Similar Threads - locked Administrator account

2. Account hacked and I am locked out!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account hacked and I am locked out!: My Microsoft account was hacked today and I am locked out. When I try to login I got a prompt to enter the recovery email which a RUSSIAN ONE!! HOW did that happen? How can I get my account back???...
  3. Locked out of administrative account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of administrative account: Hi,I signed into our new workstation using my work/school account. After that I made a local account without using an email address, just a username and password and changed its type to administrative while changing my work/school account type to standard. After restarting...
  4. Locked out of administrative account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of administrative account: Hi,I signed into our new workstation using my work/school account. After that I made a local account without using an email address, just a username and password and changed its type to administrative while changing my work/school account type to standard. After restarting...
  5. I am locked out of my account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am locked out of my account.: I have just logged into my account on a new device. The moment I logged in, I was prompted with "Help us protect your account." I try to verify other accounts but it does not work. What do I mean by it does not work? Well it goes back into the "Help us protect your account"...
  6. I am locked out of my account.

I am locked out of my account.: I have just logged into my account on a new device. The moment I logged in, I was prompted with "Help us protect your account." I try to verify other accounts but it does not work. What do I mean by it does not work? Well it goes back into the "Help us protect your account"...
  7. I am locked out of my administrator account. It's not even visible on the login screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am locked out of my administrator account. It's not even visible on the login screen?: Hey, so I have a problem signing into the administrator account. I had two accounts on my computer; the admin and my personal one. I wanted to switch the admin account in order to make my personal one administrator. The reason I wanted to do this was because my admin account...
  8. I am locked out of my administrator account. It's not even visible on the login screen?

I am locked out of my administrator account. It's not even visible on the login screen?: Hey, so I have a problem signing into the administrator account. I had two accounts on my computer; the admin and my personal one. I wanted to switch the admin account in order to make my personal one administrator. The reason I wanted to do this was because my admin account...
  9. Administrator Account Locked Out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator Account Locked Out: I recently got back on my PC after a 1 week vacation and I wanted to check the accounts logged in to the PC netplwiz and a pop up showed saying to enter an Administrator Password and then to press yes but there is no where to put the password plus I don't even have an...
  10. Administrator Account Locked Out

Administrator Account Locked Out: I recently got back on my PC after a 1 week vacation and I wanted to check the accounts logged in to the PC netplwiz and a pop up showed saying to enter an Administrator Password and then to press yes but there is no where to put the password plus I don't even have an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i am on a child account and locked out