Windows 10: I bought a Windows Ten Pro key and it doesn't work...

Discus and support I bought a Windows Ten Pro key and it doesn't work... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I bought a new Dell Laptop with Windows Ten Home. I wanted to wipe the laptop clean and set it up the way I set up all my machines, partitioning the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CVRIV, Jan 31, 2017.

1. CVRIV Win User

I bought a Windows Ten Pro key and it doesn't work...

I bought a new Dell Laptop with Windows Ten Home. I wanted to wipe the laptop clean and set it up the way I set up all my machines, partitioning the drive basically. Plus to wipe out whatever crap they pre-install. The product key for the OS it came with is "injected" into the computer so I can't retrieve it, so I bought a new Windows 10 Pro key from a buyer online that I bought two other keys from.

While installing the OS it never asked me for a key??? After installing, it booted right into the OS as Windows 10 Home and it was already activated. So I went to change the key to the new key and it didn't work. I got an error saying the key didnt work.

Have any ideas as to whats going here?

Thanks.

:)

CVRIV, Jan 31, 2017
  2. drayk Win User

Windows 8.1 pro updates to Windows 10 home

The update screen appeared on my computer and I used it. There never was a requested product key nor an indication it was upgrading to Windows Ten Home during the entire process from Windows Pro 8.1 . I surrendered to my time constraints and bought
    the upgrade to Windows Ten Pro so I could keep working unimpeded. Thank you for your interest but please excuse me from the discussion as I've have other commitments to complete.

drayk, Jan 31, 2017
  3. Amirh.B Win User
    Getting windows 10 pro without a product key

Hi,

I've bought windows 10 pro product key before I realize that my actual windows is windows 10 enterprise, so the product key doesn't work. And now I want to get windows 10 pro without a product key, if it is possible, and use my product key to activate it.
    is it possible? if yes, how?

[Moved from Insider]

Amirh.B, Jan 31, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 31, 2017
  5. CVRIV Win User
    That tutorial is nothing I don't already know. I'm saying that when I enter my purchased key, the OS is telling me the key doesn't work.

CVRIV, Jan 31, 2017
  6. So then maybe you got a bad key.

logicearth, Jan 31, 2017
  7. CVRIV Win User
    That can actually happen? How does that happen? Damn it. I dont have time for this.

CVRIV, Jan 31, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Download Showkey Plus from this forum:
    ShowKeyPlus

Run it and it will show you the product key stored in UEFI and what edition of Windows it is for. Then you can click on Check Product Key and manually enter your purchased product key and see what edition of Windows it is for. I'll bet you will find an edition mismatch - if you purchased a valid product key.

For example - you have Windows 10 Home installed and the product key you purchased is for Windows 10 N Pro - the N is the edition mismatch.

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2017
  9. If you buy from a third party anything is possible. There is no guarantee when you deal with gray markets.

logicearth, Jan 31, 2017
  10. CVRIV Win User
    Ok. I downloaded ShowKeyPlus and checked the new key. It said it's Win 10 RTM Professional OEM: DM EULA Type: OEM

CVRIV, Jan 31, 2017
  11. CVRIV Win User
    Well, I purchased two other keys from them and those worked fine. Just this one I am having trouble with.

CVRIV, Jan 31, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    You said your machine booted into W10 Home, you're entering a Pro key, why don't you install W10 Pro?

Edwin, Jan 31, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Change product key to the Windows 10 generic Pro product key:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Once the upgrade to Pro finishes, change product key again to your purchased Windows 10 Pro product key. You can't do an upgrade with an OEM product key.

The product key in the computer's UEFI is blocking the installation of Windows 10 Pro. The solution is to put the Windows 10 Pro product key in a PID.txt file, save it to the \sources folder of the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive and that will override the Windows 10 Home product key stored in UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2017
  14. CVRIV Win User
    How do I install pro? I created a boot disk using MS's media creation tool. I booted the laptop from that and was never asked what to install. How do I install pro?

CVRIV, Jan 31, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    See my post #11 above on how to upgrade your 10 Home to Pro.

And, ironically, my post #11 here for detailed instructions how to install 10 Pro:
    Method of buying Home to Pro Upgrade that gets a Re-usable Key?

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2017
Thema:

1. I bought a Windows Ten Pro key and it doesn't work... - Similar Threads - bought Ten Pro

2. So if I bought a OEM windows 10 pro and the key doesn't work that means the disk was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So if I bought a OEM windows 10 pro and the key doesn't work that means the disk was...: So if I bought a OEM windows 10 pro and the key doesn't work that means the disk was already installed and connected to another motherboard? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-if-i-bought-a-oem-windows-10-pro-and-the-key/6ade656a-0705-4f62-b4b7-4b6a6da18088
  3. So if I bought a OEM windows 10 pro and the key doesn't work that means the disk was...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    So if I bought a OEM windows 10 pro and the key doesn't work that means the disk was...: So if I bought a OEM windows 10 pro and the key doesn't work that means the disk was already installed and connected to another motherboard? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-if-i-bought-a-oem-windows-10-pro-and-the-key/6ade656a-0705-4f62-b4b7-4b6a6da18088
  4. So if I bought a OEM windows 10 pro and the key doesn't work that means the disk was...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I bought a MacBook Pro M2 and Windows 10Pro license key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I bought a MacBook Pro M2 and Windows 10Pro license key doesn't work: I bought a MacBook Pro M2 and run Windows under Parallels; my formal Windows 10Pro license key doesn't work for my Windows 11 new installation... how do I replace my Win10 Pro license key for a Win11 Pro?...
  6. I bought a MacBook Pro M2 and Windows 10Pro license key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I bought a MacBook Pro M2 and Windows 10Pro license key doesn't work: I bought a MacBook Pro M2 and run Windows under Parallels; my formal Windows 10Pro license key doesn't work for my Windows 11 new installation... how do I replace my Win10 Pro license key for a Win11 Pro?...
  7. Windows 11 pro product key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pro product key doesn't work: Hi,I have bought a license for Windows 11 Pro and I am not able to activate it. The error message is : I have already tried using the method mentioned here, to close the internet and use the code provided by your engineer, and if it doesn't work restart. It is not working....
  8. Windows 10 Pro activation key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro activation key doesn't work: I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro. I've bought a licence, have scratched off the silver on the envelope containing the dvd to reveal the product key and accurately entered it to activate i.e., this is a genuine and new keyThe error message I'm getting is...
  9. I bought a refurbished computer and I can't to activate windows ten. It is a HP pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I bought a refurbished computer and I can't to activate windows ten. It is a HP pro: I bought a refurbished computer and I can't get it to activate windows ten. It is an HP pro. It wants me to buy a $199 license or have product key. All I do on a computer is buy and sell on ebay. No license required and they did not send me a product key. can anybody help...
  10. Recently bought a Windows 10 license key but it doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recently bought a Windows 10 license key but it doesn't work.: I bought a license key but it apparently only works with a fresh installation of windows 10. My PC however came with the windows inactivated version. Is there any way to make it work? submitted by /u/SEVERALBS [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i bought a windows 10 key and it doesnt work