Windows 10: I can access a file in one profile, but not in the other

Discus and support I can access a file in one profile, but not in the other in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; As part of my on-going problems in setting up a new profile, I have encountered one that I do not understand: When I started the new admin profile,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Not Myself, Nov 24, 2016.

1. I can access a file in one profile, but not in the other

As part of my on-going problems in setting up a new profile, I have encountered one that I do not understand:

When I started the new admin profile, there were some problems with both Firefox and Thunderbird. I am concentrating on Fx, where I found that the configuration file that tells Fx which Fx profile to use was quite wrong. I fixed that problem by copying from my current default profile to the new one the correct information.

That fixed some file access problems, but the profiles.ini file cannot be accessed in the new profile, so I have no way of editing it. I have checked the Security and Details tabs of the file's property sheet in both the default and new Windows profile; they are identical.

In both cases, the General tab for both shows that the file opens in Notepad, which it does in the default, but all I get in the new profile is `access denied.'

What can I do to fix this?

:)

Not Myself, Nov 24, 2016

2. can access all other websites but one please help important

Hi Melvin,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Temporarily disable the third party security program. (If you have installed any).

If you have installed any third party security program, then I request you to contact its technical support to temporarily disable the program and then check the issue.

Important: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have
    to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2:
    If the above step fails then I would suggest that you temporary disable the Windows Firewall and check if you can website.

Refer to the below link to Turn Windows Firewall on or off:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/turn-windows-firewall-on-or-off

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank You.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 24, 2016
  3. can access all other websites but one please help important

after installing windows 10 I can no longer Access the andescentralschool.org Web site It is highly important that I access this site for my kids please someone give me a real solution this problem accurrs with my laptop, desktop, Ipads but not the iPhone(only
    my son has one of these) you can access other sites facebook iTunes ect and bill sites but once I try to load the ACS website the page says waiting for andescentralschool.org for approx. 5 min then boots page back to last page I was on It is accurring on
    all types of browser I tried firefox, IE, edge, googlechrome they all do the same

what is the problem how can I fix it the kids and I need to acess this website a lot during the school year

gracemelvin, Nov 24, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

I can access a file in one profile, but not in the other

I have found the best way to transfer all your Firefox settings to a new computer or profile is to use the Sync function with Firefox. Hit Options/Sync tab. Set up acct with an email on the working profile. To start clean, navigate to hidden folder under Users/User Name/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles and delete all profiles.
    Open Firefox on new device, go to Sync tab and Sync with email sign-in. This will create a new profile with all your bookmarks, add-ons and settings. You can also use Sync to use a computer in a library or on a friend's computer.

mrgeek, Nov 24, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    It's a file permissions problem. Right-click on the file and select Properties. On the Security tab click Advanced and take ownership of the file.

6. At least I know why I could not find the thread, as I posted it in the wrong forum; perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to move it. I will blame that on my moving back and forth between profiles, trying to get things working correctly, being certain not to stop the hourly playing of music by Bach on SiriusXM's "Bach Friday."

Yes, that is the least lame excuse I can invent....

Now, as to your instructions, the mystery continues: In both profiles, the owner is the same, but even in the default profile, the owner is shown as being in the new profile. Despite that, as I stated, I can open it in the default profile.

Should I change the ownership in the new profile, and if so, how do I do that? As I have mentioned in my other, related, threads over the past several days, the entire process of creating a new profile is something that, as far as I know, I have never done--or perhaps more accurately, I think I did it once only to test something or another, and if I did do that, I deleted it immediately without ever looking at such things as file property sheets. Thus, I am floundering, because the process of creating and using the new profile has not been nearly as simple as I expected, and not anything I have any knowledge about.

Not Myself, Nov 24, 2016
  7. Neemobeer Win User
    Ownership and permissions are two different things. You can be the owner and not have permissions on an object. You should only need to grant the appropriate permissions to the top level of the user profile C:\Users\<username> and enable inheritance if it is not on.

Neemobeer, Nov 24, 2016
  8. I can access a file in one profile, but not in the other

Profiles.ini, in both Firefox profiles, show that System/Administrators/ and John (Desktopxxx) have no inheritance, and that System/Administrators (second entry, same Desktop)/John were all inherited from C:\Users\John. All entries are of the Type Allow, and all have Access stated as Full Control.

(Some day, please remind me to thank you for offering assistance.)

Not Myself, Nov 24, 2016
  9. I am closing this thread, because I was running into entirely too many problems in trying to create a new Windows profile, problems plausibly caused by my own failures. Having never done this, and having practically no knowledge as to how to proceed, I decided, having learned at least a modicum of how to properly create a new profile, I discarded the one for which I started this thread and started another new profile.

Not Myself, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I can access a file in one profile, but not in the other

1. I can access a file in one profile, but not in the other - Similar Threads - access file profile

2. Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.: Hi all,One of our users had a network shared folder mapped as a drive on his previous laptop.He got a new laptop from us lately, and when we tried to access the same path with the same user credentials, it said he doesn't have the permissions for that folder.It's weird and...
  3. Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can access a shared folder on one computer, but not on the other.: Hi all,One of our users had a network shared folder mapped as a drive on his previous laptop.He got a new laptop from us lately, and when we tried to access the same path with the same user credentials, it said he doesn't have the permissions for that folder.It's weird and...
  4. Unable to access other user profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access other user profiles: My PC should have 2 accounts, mine and my fathersadministrator account but when logging in recently only mine has been showing up. After noticing i checked the user profiles/ family accounts tab in settings and only my account showed up. Even after re-adding his account to...
  5. Unable to access other user profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access other user profiles: My PC should have 2 accounts, mine and my fathersadministrator account but when logging in recently only mine has been showing up. After noticing i checked the user profiles/ family accounts tab in settings and only my account showed up. Even after re-adding his account to...
  6. Unable to access other user profiles

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  7. one user can access, other user cannot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    one user can access, other user cannot: Two Win10Pro vers 20xx computers, Ethernet LAN. In compD (destination): - password protected sharing is OFF - shares give full control permission to Everyone. CompS (source) UsernameS (standard account) can access compD (dest) which also has UsenameS. CompS Explorer lists...
  8. Can not access my User profile or files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not access my User profile or files: i first recieved a login error and Windows assigned a Temp Acct. i followed steps to delete the temp and rename the .bak file however, now i can only log in as Administrator. I have run this in Safe Mode too. I have scanned from a sfc file. If i could access my documents just...
  9. Unable to access other profiles on laptop.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to access other profiles on laptop.: I have a Samsung laptop on which I had three profiles. (my own, my partners and my sons) While signing into my profile after startup I had an error about the login not being recognised and was signed into a temporary user that allowed me very little access and told me that...
  10. Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two win10 computers, one can access nas files the other cannot: I recently obtained a new Surface Pro 4 running win10 pro to replace an older laptop also running 64b win10 pro. The old laptop can access all of the files on my NAS Buffalo TeraStation via a router (both hardwired and wireless). The new computer can access the TeraStation...