Windows 10: I cannot change my default .jar program to java

Discus and support I cannot change my default .jar program to java in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a windows 10 machine. I have run everything fine before I reset my pc. My default now is set to notepad, which was my mistake. The only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BryceJenkins1, Aug 20, 2018.

1. I cannot change my default .jar program to java

I have a windows 10 machine.

I have run everything fine before I reset my pc.

My default now is set to notepad, which was my mistake.

The only options I have to open a file with are apps from the windows store which is not helpful because I need to run this file using Java. Even searching in program files there doesn't seem to be a "java" option.

yes, I have java installed and it is in my programs on my computer.

I can add the java installer as a possible app, but this does not work it seems to try to reinstall java and open the file at the same time and causes and error saying it cannot install java again.

please help

Thank you.

:)

BryceJenkins1, Aug 20, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

jar files

Fixing .jar file opening on Windows requires two steps:

• Open the Control Panel, and chose "Default Programs - Associate a File type or protocol with a program". Find .jar extension (Executable JAR file) there, and pick Java as default program to open this extension. It will probably be listed as "Java Platform(SE)".
      A faster alternative perhaps is straightforward right-click on a .jar file, and then change associated program by clicking on the "Change..." button.
    • Now open the regedit, and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command key. Luckilly for us, we may specify parameters there for the (Default) value. This is normally: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Aug 20, 2018
  3. How to change default programs to open .jar files in Windowws 10?

Hello Snott,

As you are facing issues with setting-up default program to access .jar files, we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the below steps to change the default program for .jar files and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type default programs
      and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select .jar file type and click on Change program.
    • Choose the program you wish to open with and click
      OK

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 20, 2018
  4. I cannot change my default .jar program to java

.java to .jar file

if you know the manual then you know you dont put the code in the program, you convert all of your java class files into a jar file using their compiler.

Easy Rhino, Aug 20, 2018
Thema:

I cannot change my default .jar program to java

1. I cannot change my default .jar program to java - Similar Threads - cannot change default

2. Exploit Protection causes the java program jar to suspend

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exploit Protection causes the java program jar to suspend: hello expert Our program is a java program that encapsulates appium1.8. In the past six months, the program has always been suspended after a few seconds of startup. You need to turn off Exploit Protection in the Windows Security Center, and then wait for another half an hour...
  3. Exploit Protection causes the java program jar to suspend

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exploit Protection causes the java program jar to suspend: hello expert Our program is a java program that encapsulates appium1.8. In the past six months, the program has always been suspended after a few seconds of startup. You need to turn off Exploit Protection in the Windows Security Center, and then wait for another half an hour...
  4. Exploit Protection causes the java program jar to suspend

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Java .jar problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Java .jar problem: I have some friends and family that are trying to install Java and set it up for the default .jar app, but it is only letting them use Internet Explorer, or find another app on the Microsoft store. We have tried using the OPEN WITH option in File Explorer for their .jar...
  6. Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default: I have Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion.Anyway, today I downloaded a .jar file, and whenever I double-clicked on it, it would not open automatically. When right clicking on the .jar file and selecting "open with", "JavaTM Platform SE binary" would not show up. Yes, I have...
  7. Java not Showing Up as a default option for Jar Files

Java not Showing Up as a default option for Jar Files: Recently I have needed to download various JAR files. The default app for these is Internet explore for some reason. I have java on my computer, but strangely it doesn't appear in the app defaults for jar files....
  8. I have java but I cant set it as default for .jar files

I have java but I cant set it as default for .jar files: I have deleted java multiple times and I still can't make it default app for .jar to open with, I have no clue what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-java-but-i-cant-set-it-as-default-for-jar/87be85b5-d5c8-4a20-993c-7300fa3fde24
  9. I cannot change my default .jar file.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot change my default .jar file.: I am not sure how to reset my default .jar file. I have gone into settings and checked the 'choose default applications file type' and only internet explorer comes up Please Help Many Thanks RT...
  10. Cannot change default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default program: Hi All, I'll start this thread apparently for the umpteenth time, but none of the forum posts (and not just this forum's) I've read provided with a fix to this one. My Windows version number is 10.0.17763. I have a few Adobe CC 2020 programs installed (yes, with a genuine,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 reset jar to java for default