Windows 10: I cannot safely eject usb drives since a few days ago

Discus and support I cannot safely eject usb drives since a few days ago in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. Does anybody know if something has changed for w10 [16299.125]? Since a few days ago I cannot safely eject some usb pendrives because the OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eLPuSHeR, Dec 19, 2017.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

I cannot safely eject usb drives since a few days ago

Hello.

Does anybody know if something has changed for w10 [16299.125]? Since a few days ago I cannot safely eject some usb pendrives because the OS says "something is using it", even though everything is closed. Could it be Windows Defender? How can I circumvent this?

Any ideas?

:)

eLPuSHeR, Dec 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 Update 511 & Safely Remove Icon Missing"

I applied Windows 10 5111 update and noticed that I can no longer "eject" or safely remove USB drives using the "Safely Remove Icon". I cannot find this icon to activate it. I did notice that if you select a USB drive in "the "Safely Remove Hardware"
    window | Properties | Policies, there is a default setting that allows you remove devices without ejecting them as in the past. Am I mistaken? Why would Microsoft remove this process which has been part of every operating system since I can remember?

GregoryJohnsonMEJ, Dec 19, 2017
  3. Unable to eject USB external drive (\Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\svchost.exe)

Hello. Few days ago, I've started to having issues with ejecting my Hard Disk. It seems that my Pen-Drive ejects just normally, but not my HD.

When I go at "Safely Eject Drive" option, I get this an error that the "\Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\svchost.exe" is in use and Windows cannot eject due to this.

I've tried to do the Process Explorer method (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555665 ), but that didn't worked.

This is how the message looks like (pt-br):

I cannot safely eject usb drives since a few days ago [​IMG]

That's the second time it happened. The last time I had to shutdown my computer without being able to eject the device.

Thanks.

gabrielwoj, Dec 19, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Have not experienced that on a thumb drive but have a usb ext HDD that I use for backups and it won't eject unless File Explorer is closed.

mrgeek, Dec 19, 2017
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Today it happened again but this time I have found the culprit.

Closed everything and Windows was still saying something or some process was using the device. Opened up task manager and found out it was the Superfetch service. As a nasty workaround I right-clicked on it and STOPPED it. Ejected the usb thumbdrive and then STARTED the Superfetch service again. Annoying to say the least. Why is Superfetch interferring now with usb sticks out of thin air?

PS - An idea just crossed my mind. I am going to flush the windows\prefetch folder contents to see what happens.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I cannot safely eject usb drives since a few days ago - Similar Threads - cannot safely eject

2. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: In case anyone is still having this problem, a simple solution that worked for me is to restart Windows Explorer from task manager.That's it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/d936ef04-76a6-4a39-a96f-9c64e0de8eec
  3. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: In case anyone is still having this problem, a simple solution that worked for me is to restart Windows Explorer from task manager.That's it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/d936ef04-76a6-4a39-a96f-9c64e0de8eec
  4. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: Again I'm opening a new thread because the original one has been locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/b7f4e780-3dce-4bfd-a669-b61613e244ffWhat is the point of locking threads that haven't been solved? Why can't I...
  6. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: Again I'm opening a new thread because the original one has been locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/b7f4e780-3dce-4bfd-a669-b61613e244ffWhat is the point of locking threads that haven't been solved? Why can't I...
  7. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: I am unable to "Safe Eject" my USB drive. Windows 10 tells me it cannot eject because programs are using it. I quit all programs and still it will not eject. If I log out completely and then log back in it STILL will not eject. I have to shut down the computer...
  8. Cannot eject safely an external USB drive

Cannot eject safely an external USB drive: Hello, Recently I bought one "WD Elements" 1TB external drive for data storage. When attachet it to the pc, it was found by the file explorer, it is already NTFS formated, one whole partition. On it found "WD Smartware pro trial" installer and an 'autorun.inf' file....
  9. Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive: I got my new Seagate 2 TB Expansion Drive and made the first image of my new laptop (running Win 10 anniversary build) using Macrium Reflect. All went well, and I closed Macrium, then attempted to eject the external drive from the notification area. I consistently got an...
  10. Cannot eject safely usb external drive

Cannot eject safely usb external drive: Hello, The problem of beeing unable to eject the usb drive safely still exists, the only way I found (temporarily) is to disable it in the device manager, but then the change asks to restart the computer, if I do not restart, the drive is unabled. It seems I will have to...