Windows 10: I cannot transfer my files from old user account to new - file in use

Discus and support I cannot transfer my files from old user account to new - file in use in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 & have a corrupt user account. I created the new account but can't transfer my files because I get a "file in use" message. I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mkj307, Aug 11, 2016.

1. mkj307 Win User

I cannot transfer my files from old user account to new - file in use

I am running Windows 10 & have a corrupt user account. I created the new account but can't transfer my files because I get a "file in use" message. I can't find the file in Task manager to end task. I'm also trying to delete Windows.old. I tried running disk cleanup 3 times to delete it but not happening. I have tried all the suggestions on the forums but no help. Any ideasa?

:)

mkj307, Aug 11, 2016

2. Explorer on Windows 10 crashing continuously on clicking New item menu in file explorer or context menu on desktop.

Your user account may have been corrupted. The best solution is creating a new account and delete the old. We recommend transferring your files from old user account to the new user account and delete the old account. Follow the steps provided by
    Azaruddin Syed on this thread
    on how to transfer files to the new user account.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Martin Bar, Aug 11, 2016
  3. User account access to files, documents, etc.

I recently bought a new computer and had all my files from my old computer copied to the new computer via a flash drive. I created a Microsoft account on the new computer under my name which is the Administrator account. I created a standard user account
    for my husband. The problem is that he cannot see, access, or use the files that were transferred from our old computer which were a mix of files for both of us. I have been on so many blogs, help websites, manuals, and have read and research so much about
    permissions, file sharing, public files, user accounts, etc. and still can't seem to figure it out. I just neeed a process that will allow my husband full access to these files as they belong to him as well as me.

GinaRose13, Aug 11, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

simrick, Aug 12, 2016
  5. mkj307 Win User
    Thanks for your reply. I have never used that but I downloaded it. How do you use Kyhi's rescue media to transfer files?
    Also, the Asus support told me that if I changed my boot options I could then still just boot automatically from the hard drive if there is no media in option 1 or 2. It doesn't. I changed the boot options in BIOS. Then when I restarted it asked for a boot disk or USB. Do you know if I can set the boot options differently in case I have to boot from a USB or DVD & still have it boot from the hard drive if there's nothing in those slots?

mkj307, Aug 15, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    When you boot your system to Kyhi's rescue media, you have a little, mini, "live" Windows operating system there to work with. It has some tools/programs on the desktop. But, you can just open File Explorer and use that to transfer your files from one place to another.

If you tell the computer to boot from USB or Optical drive, that is how you boot to Kyhi's rescue media. There are two ways to do this: One is to permanently change your boot order in your BIOS. The other way is to use the one-time-boot feature that most BIOSs have. I don't know your keys exactly, but I'll give you an example:

When first booting a system, very quickly you will see (usually in a bottom corner), something about pressing, say, F2 for boot options, or say, F9 to enter the BIOS. If you press the F2, it will give you the option to select your boot device only for that session. If you change the boot order in your BIOS and save it, that is permanent. Usually, if you set the order in the BIOS to be USB, then CD/DVD, then Windows Boot Manager (if UEFI), then the system will look for boot information in that order and use the first one it finds.

Hope that helps.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I cannot transfer my files from old user account to new - file in use - Similar Threads - cannot transfer files

2. Transfer files from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer files from old to new laptop: I am wanting to transfer wanted files, documents downloads and else from my old Dell Latitude E7450 damaged but working laptop to my newer Dell Latitude 7490. Is there a smart way to do this besides using a flashdrive and manually loading them onto it and then dropping them...
  3. Transfer files from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer files from old to new laptop: I am wanting to transfer wanted files, documents downloads and else from my old Dell Latitude E7450 damaged but working laptop to my newer Dell Latitude 7490. Is there a smart way to do this besides using a flashdrive and manually loading them onto it and then dropping them...
  4. file transfer from old pc to new pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file transfer from old pc to new pc: how do I transfer files and photos from old computer to new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-from-old-pc-to-new-pc/f7bda902-fac7-458f-a55d-ad9f464f3c80
  5. How to transfer files/programs for a new user account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to transfer files/programs for a new user account?: Hello! If I want to create a new user on my PC, what determines what files and programs that transfers from my main admin-user to the new user? I created a new user on my computer and some programs and files came with it and some didn't. submitted by /u/ReactedLizard...
  6. transfer files from old comouter to new

transfer files from old comouter to new: I recently bought a new computer with windows 10. Works 9 installed just fine. How do I move the data from the old computer to the new? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files-from-old-comouter-to-new/740f7149-03d5-40ea-a3b4-6eef75929a7c"
  7. File transfer from old to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File transfer from old to new computer: How do you easily transfer files from an old computer to new computer in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-from-old-to-new-computer/d2deafdb-e993-4441-b34c-612ae5d2e329
  8. Transfer Files from old to new computer

Transfer Files from old to new computer: How can I transfer files from my external hard drive to my new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files-from-old-to-new-computer/d3888df2-0288-4252-89c8-13c74ec0d862"
  9. Transfer files from old Microsoft account to the new one?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer files from old Microsoft account to the new one?: I created a new Microsoft account on the laptop that I’ve bought recently. I’d like to know if I can transfer the files from my old Microsoft account that I used before....
  10. transfer files from old computer to new

transfer files from old computer to new: transfer files from old computer to new https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10/f49e2618-aa29-457b-b562-ff7d6117fbaa"