Windows 10: I cannot update windows

Discus and support I cannot update windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Everytime I search for updates and windows finds and installs them, I get a message that says "could not install updates, rolling back updates"... when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Cerawy, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Cerawy Win User

I cannot update windows

Everytime I search for updates and windows finds and installs them, I get a message that says "could not install updates, rolling back updates"... when I restart my computer and it basically prevents me from going into my desktop for some 15-20 minutes.... please help

:)

Cerawy, Apr 12, 2017

2. Windows update_1900101 Windows 10

I haven't been able to install Windows 10 due to the following error: C1900101-20017. Any idea what this is and does it mean I'm out of luck?

Windows update-1900101, Apr 12, 2017
  3. i*windows Win User
    i*windows, Apr 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

I cannot update windows

Hi, Please start by doing these basic initial steps as I know nothing about the state of your PC.

1. Check the disk.
    Download and run Crystal Diskinfo (free) - Quick Good/Caution/Bad indication.
    Do not proceed if not good.

2. Check the file system
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

3. Run Ccleaner (free) to remove temporary files etc.

4. Here is a useful compendium of possible steps.
    Fix 10 - Microsoft Community

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3036646/how-to-read-windows-update-logs-in-windows-10-version-1607

Replace the section about reading the logs with the above.

Please post a screenshot of your update history like this:

dalchina, Apr 12, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Which version and build do you have? Run Winver to find out. The latest is version 1703, build 15063.138 for the Creators Update, or 1607, build 14393.1066 for the Anniversary Update.

Which updates are causing problems? The failed updates should be listed in:
    Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Update history

6. Cerawy Win User
    it says version 1607, build 14393.10.

It says these updates failed: windows updates (KB4016635), collection of updates (KB4015438), collection of updates (KB3206632).
    @dalchina I will see if i can get the programs to work and get back with the results.

Cerawy, Apr 12, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, you're quite a way back. Step 4 contains lots of ideas for fixing Windows update.

When you get there, you can start by simply running the troubleshooter

dalchina, Apr 12, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

I cannot update windows

Frankly it is more hassle than it is worth trying to sort this. It is easier to download the latest CU iso, double click on it and run setup.exe and upgrade bypassing the problem. If you do get it working, first thing it will do is upgrade you anyway.

cereberus, Apr 12, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    @cereberus - but not before basic disk checks. If the disk is problematic, attempting an upgrade would likely make the problem worse. And Ceraway may wish to postpone the upgrade (which is possible, one way or another).

I would also assume MS is phasing the roll-out, so might be 2-3 months to the Creator's Upgrade.

dalchina, Apr 12, 2017
  10. Cerawy Win User
    I have tried cleaning my PC with ccleaner and windows cleaning tool, as well as running the FixWU program.. will run a chkdsk later and come back with the results.

Cerawy, Apr 12, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, have you done this- the first thing?
    Download and run Crystal Diskinfo (free) - Quick Good/Caution/Bad indication.

If not good, no point in attempting anything else.

dalchina, Apr 12, 2017
  12. Cerawy Win User
    Do you have a link to download it? Just so I know im downloading the right thing

Cerawy, Apr 12, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I cannot update windows

I must respectfully disagree. If the cumulative updates are failing, whatever is causing them to fail is more than likely going to cause the upgrade to Creator's Update to fail too. What I do in a situation like this is if the simple Windows Update Troubleshooter doesn't fix it then I shrink the existing Windows partition to as small as it will go, do a clean install to the empty space. Once I get all the data copy out of the old Windows install, delete the partition and expand the new partition to fill it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 12, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 12, 2017
  15. Cerawy Win User
    It says my disk is 100% good and the temperature is 27c.

Cerawy, Apr 12, 2017
Thema:

I cannot update windows

1. I cannot update windows - Similar Threads - cannot update

2. I cannot install/update anything on ms store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cannot install/update anything on ms store: I've tried countless times trying to fix this problem it just keeps repeating the same message "Something happened on our end.", I have tried resetting the cache, resetting through the settings app and even tried different products but nothing worked. windows 10 is my OS...
  3. I cannot install/update anything on ms store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot install/update anything on ms store: I've tried countless times trying to fix this problem it just keeps repeating the same message "Something happened on our end.", I have tried resetting the cache, resetting through the settings app and even tried different products but nothing worked. windows 10 is my OS...
  4. I cannot install/update anything on ms store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update: i recently updated my motherboards BIOS and after that my pc says that windows is not activated. i had upgraded from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reactivate-windows-after-motherboard-update/a93ba7cf-61b3-4e71-9755-fc2c6c01fca6
  6. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update: i recently updated my motherboards BIOS and after that my pc says that windows is not activated. i had upgraded from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reactivate-windows-after-motherboard-update/a93ba7cf-61b3-4e71-9755-fc2c6c01fca6
  7. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

8. Cannot install gaming services, receiving error on MS store when trying to update it. Xbox...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install gaming services, receiving error on MS store when trying to update it. Xbox...: Hello I have spent the last 30 days trying every solution I could find on google and on this MS answers form and I am still unable to access my game pass on the Xbox app. I am giving up at this point but trying to see if anyone has anything else I can try before I completely...
  9. Cannot install gaming services, receiving error on MS store when trying to update it. Xbox...

Cannot install gaming services, receiving error on MS store when trying to update it. Xbox...: Hello I have spent the last 30 days trying every solution I could find on google and on this MS answers form and I am still unable to access my game pass on the Xbox app. I am giving up at this point but trying to see if anyone has anything else I can try before I completely...
  10. Stuck in a loop where my laptop keeps freezing at 99 percent when updating, cannot start...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck in a loop where my laptop keeps freezing at 99 percent when updating, cannot start...: Yesterday I saw that there was a yellow icon alerting me that there was a new update and I decided to click on "update and restart" as I had the night before on my desktop which I am currently writing on. After a few minutes it reached 99% and promptly froze, stuck on a blue...