Windows 10: I cannot use Shift + Alt on my keyboard

Discus and support I cannot use Shift + Alt on my keyboard in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have windows 10. suddenly, when I used (Shift + Alt) to change language the keyboard act wired!! first, does not change the language.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Meshaiel Mohammed, Aug 28, 2018.

1. I cannot use Shift + Alt on my keyboard

Hello,

I have windows 10.

suddenly, when I used (Shift + Alt) to change language the keyboard act wired!!

first, does not change the language.

second, either stop working as keyboard, when I try to write something it does not type anything! but act like a mouse and click on random thing on the browser. Or type {G$@#%^Y something like that !!!

Also, when I use the arrow to go down the browser it Specifies the text on the page.

pleas help me to solve this problem.

:)

Meshaiel Mohammed, Aug 28, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 28, 2018
  3. Who knows why I can't switch to Ukrainian keyboard by pressing Alt+Shift?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As you are unable to change the keyboard language by using the Alt+Shift keys, I suggest you to use the
    Windows key + Spacebar key and check if you are able to change the keyboard language. Also, I suggest you to uninstall and re-install the language pack and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 28, 2018
  4. AndreyT Win User

I cannot use Shift + Alt on my keyboard

Alt+Shift activates menu - an upleasant annoyance of AU version

The default key combination for switching keyboard layouts is Alt+Shift. Unfortunately, after Anniversary Update Windows often activates the current window's menu bar when one presses Alt+Shift. More precisely, it does switch the keyboard layout, but at the same time it treats Alt+Shift combination as a single Alt hit - it activates the menu bar. This happens in about 9 cases out of 10. This is extremely annoying, since in the middle of typing some text after switching keyboard layout I suddenly discover that the text I type is now interpreted as menu shortcuts.

If I make sure that I press Alt and Shift perfectly simultaneously, it usually works as before (no menu is activated), but in real life it is not possible to hit these keys with perfect simultaneity all the time.

Older versions of Windows (including pre-AU Windows 10) were handling this situation more gracefully. They understood that Alt+Shift combination had special meaning and that there's no need to activate the menu in response to Alt+Shift. But not anymore.

I can probably teach myself to use Win+Space combination for switching keyboards, which does not suffer from this issue. But Alt+Shift has always felt more convenient for me.

AndreyT, Aug 28, 2018
Thema:

I cannot use Shift + Alt on my keyboard

1. I cannot use Shift + Alt on my keyboard - Similar Threads - cannot Shift Alt

2. Not Working: Magnifier Shift + Alt + Arrow Keyboard Shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not Working: Magnifier Shift + Alt + Arrow Keyboard Shortcut: I am currently trying Magnifier keyboard shortcuts and gestures. Shift+Alt++ does not resize the lens and I have read on this forum that its been removed. Is there a reason why it still exists on the Magnifier keyboard shortcuts and touch gestures page?...
  3. Cannot use Ctrl, Windows, Alt, FN or Left shift on my Fujitsu Laptop

Cannot use Ctrl, Windows, Alt, FN or Left shift on my Fujitsu Laptop: I used the instructions posted here method 2 and now my Ctrl, Windows, Alt, and left Shift key don't work. Sadly, I didn't realize that system restore was turned off, so I can't reverse the damage that way. Does anyone have a way out of this? I tried the following:Using an...
  4. Cannot use Ctrl, Windows, Alt, FN or Left shift on my Fujitsu Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use Ctrl, Windows, Alt, FN or Left shift on my Fujitsu Laptop: I used the instructions posted here method 2 and now my Ctrl, Windows, Alt, and left Shift key don't work. Sadly, I didn't realize that system restore was turned off, so I can't reverse the damage that way. Does anyone have a way out of this? I tried the following:Using an...
  5. Cannot use Ctrl, Windows, Alt, FN or Left shift on my Fujitsu Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Control, Alt, and Shift keys cannot be assigned in Microsoft Keyboard Mouse Center.

Control, Alt, and Shift keys cannot be assigned in Microsoft Keyboard Mouse Center.: Control, Alt, and Shift keys cannot be assigned in Microsoft Keyboard Mouse Center.Please fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-alt-and-shift-keys-cannot-be-assigned-in/0a7064bd-75f0-4710-92c6-7d2d66196a5f
  7. Control, Alt, and Shift keys cannot be assigned in Microsoft Keyboard Mouse Center.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control, Alt, and Shift keys cannot be assigned in Microsoft Keyboard Mouse Center.: Control, Alt, and Shift keys cannot be assigned in Microsoft Keyboard Mouse Center.Please fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-alt-and-shift-keys-cannot-be-assigned-in/0a7064bd-75f0-4710-92c6-7d2d66196a5f
  8. Control, Alt, and Shift keys cannot be assigned in Microsoft Keyboard Mouse Center.

9. my keyboard keys shift cntrl fn alt not working

my keyboard keys shift cntrl fn alt not working: hello ! I have looked for solutions on many different forums but all the suggestions are the same. I have no sticky keys, the keyboard drivers are up to date and I have configured only one language and region. I tried everything but I have no idea why it doesn't work. I...
  10. Shift+Alt change only part of the keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shift+Alt change only part of the keyboard: Hi, For the last 20 years I use two input languages on my Windows10 latptop: UK English; and Greek It is now a couple of weeks that I noticed the following: When switching from Greek to English, only the letter keys are switched and for the character keys like @ I have...