Windows 10: I can't boot from any media to do the clean install

Discus and support I can't boot from any media to do the clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm having problems clean installing a 64 bit version of Windows on an old PC. I have Windows 10 FCU 32 bit working on a Socket 939 motherboard with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

I can't boot from any media to do the clean install

I'm having problems clean installing a 64 bit version of Windows on an old PC. I have Windows 10 FCU 32 bit working on a Socket 939 motherboard with 4GB RAM. My CPU meets the Windows 10 64 bit requirements provided I do a clean install (I checked using CoreInfo). However, I can't boot from any media to do the clean install:

• My PC doesn't support booting from USB sticks. I tried the Plop boot manager to boot from a USB stick but that didn't work.
    • I created a boot DVD via the Media Creation Tool which just stops with a Window logo. The DVD is fine since I can boot it on 2 other more recent PCs .
    • Other DVDs e.g. a Reflect recovery DVD do boot fine in the old PC

Why can't I boot from the DVD created by the Media Creation Tool on an old PC?

:)

Steve C, Nov 3, 2017
  2. Sanwin2 Win User

Windows 10 setup.exe Incompatible?

You can't run the installer from inside Windows. You need to boot the 64bit media and do a clean install of windows.

It has never been possible to do an update from 32 to 64 bit, you must clean install.

Sanwin2, Nov 3, 2017
  3. Windows 10 won't boot, repair or even format from new boot usb just keep crashing and restarting.

i can't access any recovery , reset , boot, new boot or any repair tool they all crash, and the new installation media i already did from other clean pc and still crashing, but i will try the Factory Recovery thanks.

AhmedJanabi, Nov 3, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 3, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    Thanks. I don't have the option to boot from another device under Advanced Options and my old motherboard doesn't support booting from USB sticks. I need to boot from a DVD but the boot DVD produced by the Media Creation Tool fails for some reason. I also got the ISO file from Heidoc.net but that ISO is too big for a DVD!

Steve C, Nov 3, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You won't be able to boot from a DVD with UEFI.

If the motherboard supports UEFI, then you'll have to enable CSM (Legacy BIOS) in your BIOS/UEFI settings to be able to boot from the DVD.

Brink, Nov 3, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    The motherboard doesn't have UEFI - it's a 2004 Asus A8N-SLI

Steve C, Nov 3, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hmm, in that case (if you haven't already) double check the BIOS settings to see if you have the DVD drive listed first in the boot priority order, and have the HDD you want to install Windows 10 on listed second.

Normally, you should see the "Press any key" text at boot to be able to boot from the DVD afterwards.

Brink, Nov 3, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    The computer is finding the right DVD drive to boot (you see the message press any key to boot from DVD). I started out last week clean installing Windows 7 from a DVD which worked and today made a Reflect rescue DVD which works. There seems to be something weird about the Windows 10 DVD produced by the Media Creation tool which prevents it booting on older PCs.

I have the files from the USB stick or can mount the ISO file. Is there a way of making a bootable DVD from these files which would work on older non UEFI PCs?

Steve C, Nov 3, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 3, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Nov 4, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 4, 2017
  13. Kari Win User

14. Steve C Win User
    That's ingenious - thanks.

In my case, the USB works but my old motherboard can't boot from USB sticks. Can't I just run setup.exe directly from the USB stick while in Windows? I would use the setup.exe in the Sources folder (<Disk>:\Sources\Setup.exe) which someone mentioned allows a custom install.

Provided setup.exe is run from any source other than the C: drive, you appear to be at liberty to wipe the OS drive of unneeded partitions and perform a clean install. If correct, then I don't need to mess about booting from a DVD or USB drive.

Steve C, Nov 4, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
    Yes, you can use \Sources\Setup.exe on install media starting it from Windows desktop but if doing so, you do not have partitioning options available. This means that hard disk will not and cannot be cleaned and formatted, thus it will naturally also take longer than a real clean install because your existing Windows installation will be first moved to Windows.old folder before new installation can start. This can really take some time depending on size of existing installation, how much data there is to move before actual installation can start.

The tutorial I linked to shows how to do a "real" clean install when booting from DVD or USB is not an option, with partitioning options.

Thema:

1. I can't boot from any media to do the clean install - Similar Threads - can't boot media

2. I am trying to do a clean install of windows 10 from boot media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to do a clean install of windows 10 from boot media: I have been having trouble installing windows. I got this error when trying to create a new partition, It is error code 0xbfb21590"We couldn't creat a new partition. [Error: 0xbfb21590]"And then when trying to install Windows in the location I chose, another error occurred...
  3. I am trying to do a clean install of windows 10 from boot media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am trying to do a clean install of windows 10 from boot media: I have been having trouble installing windows. I got this error when trying to create a new partition, It is error code 0xbfb21590"We couldn't creat a new partition. [Error: 0xbfb21590]"And then when trying to install Windows in the location I chose, another error occurred...
  4. I am trying to do a clean install of windows 10 from boot media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't boot Windows 10 from HD or any removable media -- Blank Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot Windows 10 from HD or any removable media -- Blank Screen: Never posted here before, but I've got a real stumper and would really appreciate some help. I'm not an IT pro but have a decent amount of experience troubleshooting this sort of thing.Long story short: I was trying to fix windows update, which hasn't worked since February...
  6. Can't boot into Windows Installation Media.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot into Windows Installation Media.: Title, it just gives me a black screen. Both secure and fast boot are disabled, UEFI only, I did try UEFI+Legacy but that didn't work. I have reflashed multiple times to no avail, my motherboard model is an MSI H170M PRO-VDH and I've got a GTX 1650 and i5 6400 in my system....
  7. can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation

can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation: i change BIOS to boot from usb and no problem with that, but windows installation can't progress, just black screen. What's my problem ? Do i need BIOS update ? If yes, i'm dead, can't find any new firmware for my bios. I'm stuck at version 1709. When i Restart after...
  8. If I do a clean install of windows 10 from installation media, can I still recover files...

If I do a clean install of windows 10 from installation media, can I still recover files...: I've been having weird problems with windows on my computer for a while now, I have tried resetting and refreshing windows but it keeps failing, so it seems I have to reinstall from installation media, I have already burnt a dvd with build 2004 and know how to reinstall, but...
  9. Unable to boot from the USB installation media to do a clean installation of windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot from the USB installation media to do a clean installation of windows 10: Hello, I have a lenovo Ideopad 320 and I created an installation media to do a clean installation of windows 10. I cannot get my laptop to boot from the USB, is there any keys I have to press when I turn the power on? I need help as soon as possible please. We need to...
  10. Can't do clean install on SSD

Can't do clean install on SSD: I keep getting "We couldn't create a partition or find and existing one". i already made a partition with Diskpart and verified it exists. I disconnected the other hard drives and still get the error. Is there something I have to change in the BIOS? 128599