Windows 10: I can't boot Windows!

Discus and support I can't boot Windows! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First, I wasn't gettimg the BIOS screeen before booting into Windows.I then tried booting into Safe Mode and now I see. nothing.I forced my computer to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Advice Pro, Oct 31, 2017.

1. I can't boot Windows!

First, I wasn't gettimg the BIOS screeen before booting into Windows.I then tried booting into Safe Mode and now I see. nothing.I forced my computer to shut down by holding the power button. Still I. have this issue.

:)

Advice Pro, Oct 31, 2017

2. Can't boot to desktop after making Windows 8.1 Operating system as default.

Old title: Can't boot

Hello: I have a 1 TB start up drive that has windows 7, 8.1 and 10 on it. I use to be able to boot and it gave me a choice of which windows to boot into but recently it has just started going directly to Win 10 and giving me No choice. I went into disk management
    and made the win 8 partition active and now I can't boot into anything. is there anyway to change this back? Once again, I can't boot into any OS. I can't even boot into safe mode.

TimothyKuhlman, Oct 31, 2017
  3. rozj07 Win User
    system_thread_exception_not_handled (edevmon.sys) and system_service_exception(edevmon.sys) on asus laptop. doesnt boot on windows

I can't boot to windows. i'm always stuck up on BSOD and it keeps on restarting when it gets to BSOD and I can't boot to any recovery..

rozj07, Oct 31, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

I can't boot Windows!

1) Please update the specs in the "My Computer" section:

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please include PSU, cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, printer, headset, xbox, etc.)

2) How old is the computer?
    a) are the files backed up?
    b) had you made a backup image?
    c) if you needed to make a clean install (delete partitions, format drive, make unallocated drive, install windos10 1709) would you be able to?
    d) which version of windows (1709, 1703, 1607, 1511, etc.)
    3) Are all of the parts original or have some been replaced?
    4) What is the history of the drive? Have there been any problems including chkdsk runs on boot, bad blocks, paging or controller errors?
    5) Find several flash drives that you can format.
    6) For the first flash drive make a bootable Windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    7) The other flash drives save for later steps if necessary.
    8) Power on the computer and power off when you see the Microsoft icon
    9) Repeat the above step and power on the computer and then power off when you see the Microsoft icon.
    The timing is important. So make sure you power off as soon as you see the Microsoft icon.
    10) Power on again and allow the operating system to open the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu.
    11) In the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu start with system restore
    Make sure you view all restore points and go back as far as you can in time.
    If that fails go to a more recent restore point.
    If there are no restore points move to the next step.
    12) Attempt startup repair.
    13) If start up repair fails move to startup options > restart > #6 safe mode with command prompt > type: sfc /scannow > reboot > report into the thread the findings and progress.
    14) If system restore, startup repair and startup options fail move to reset with save files (this will save files but applications are removed).
    15) If all of the above fail insert the Windows 10 iso into any USB port and power on the computer clicking the applicable keyboard key.
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    If it is a custom computer you will need to change the boot order in the bios to have the USB boot option on top.
    16) boot to the Windows 10 iso and allow it to load for 5 - 10 minutes while you view the Windows icon.
    17) Once it has loaded select the language, time, currency, and keyboard.
    18) Don't click install as this is the method to perform a clean install.
    19) Look in the lower left corner an click on repair your computer.
    20) This should open the Windows 10 iso advanced troubleshooting menu.
    21) Run though as many of the steps as you did before with the Windows 10 iso and report the results into the thread.
    22) If all of the steps above fail there are more steps using the Windows 10 iso and more steps using the other flash drives.

zbook, Nov 1, 2017
  5. 1) I updated my specs.
    2) The computer is about 6 months old?
    a) Yes, my files are backed up.
    b) Yes, I made a backup image?
    c) Yes, I could make a clean install.
    d) Version 1709
    3) The parts are all original.
    4) I've never had a problem with my HDD.
    5) I've got flash drives.
    6) I already have a bootable Windows 10 iso:
    7) OK
    8-10) I opened the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu.
    11-12) I chose startup repair and was able to get in.

I see no problem so far. I suspect that the problem is the GPU.

Advice Pro, Nov 3, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    If you were able to use the startup repair and fix windows please run the DM log collector and post a zip into the thread so that we can troubleshoot the logs:

BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

If you need to reboot into windows advanced trouble shooting menu and or safe mode you can get there using:
    1) power > hold down keyboard shift key > click restart
    2) using administrative command prompt > type: shutdown /r /o /f /t 00
    3) msconfig
    4) see this link for additional information:
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I can't boot Windows!

1. I can't boot Windows! - Similar Threads - can't boot

2. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  3. MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS tech can't fix my Win 11 problem - can I set up dual boot and will I have access to all...: Problem - tiny text at top of screen and all popups.Spent over 7 hrs with 8 different MS Win 11 tech people and problem not solved.Would like to set up dual boot to Linux - if so, will I have access to all my files AND programs?If Linux solves the problem, can I then delete...
  4. Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.: After the last update I was having constant usb device errors. One was for a logitech camera but the others I believe were for a card reader installed in my case. I tried disabling the devices but I kept getting the errors. I also disabled USB root hub because I saw a...
  5. Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.

Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.: After the last update I was having constant usb device errors. One was for a logitech camera but the others I believe were for a card reader installed in my case. I tried disabling the devices but I kept getting the errors. I also disabled USB root hub because I saw a...
  6. my friend's computer can't boot up and always show this window.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my friend's computer can't boot up and always show this window.: as you could see from the picture i attached, his computer just can't boot up, and keep repeating the process: preparing to repair your computer, diagnosing your computer and what you could see in attached picture. we also tried those steps in advanced settings but it doesn't...
  7. my friend's computer can't boot up and always show this window.

my friend's computer can't boot up and always show this window.: as you could see from the picture i attached, his computer just can't boot up, and keep repeating the process: preparing to repair your computer, diagnosing your computer and what you could see in attached picture. we also tried those steps in advanced settings but it doesn't...
  8. I can't boot my Windows 10 after all of the attempts to fix this...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't boot my Windows 10 after all of the attempts to fix this...: Hi! So I am here to ask for some help...So I accidentally removed the other partitions of my laptop which is ASUS by the way, and the only partition left is my "C:" drive and nothing else, due to that I forgot to backup my files, so I exited to the installation setup of...
  9. Can't boot into bios after installing new gpu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't boot into bios after installing new gpu: I just installed a gpu into my pc, but after setting it up it didn't appear in task manager. So I was gonna enable my gpu in bios that's what I was told to do when I went searching around. However when I go through the suggested route left shift and restarting there is no...
  10. Can't boot into bios after installing new gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot into bios after installing new gpu: I just installed a gpu into my pc, but after setting it up it didn't appear in task manager. So I was gonna enable my gpu in bios that's what I was told to do when I went searching around. However when I go through the suggested route left shift and restarting there is no...