Windows 10: I can't change folder icon to a custom one

Discus and support I can't change folder icon to a custom one in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I created a new folder on the desktop and I can't change its icon to a one I downloaded. selecting the icon from the stock list (shell32.dll) works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by najodleglejszy, Aug 12, 2015.

1. I can't change folder icon to a custom one

I created a new folder on the desktop and I can't change its icon to a one I downloaded. selecting the icon from the stock list (shell32.dll) works fine though. I tried with another folder in different location, still no luck. however, when I created a shortcut to the folder I placed on the desktop, I can change its icon to the custom one just fine. can anyone help me? I just wanna have a folder with a blank icon *Sad

edit: I fixed the issue. turns out Windows didn't like the fact that there was an "ą" letter in the icon path.

:)

najodleglejszy, Aug 12, 2015

2. why am I unable to change the folder icon?

I created a new folder on the desktop and I can't change its icon to a custom one I downloaded. selecting the icon from the stock list (shell32.dll) works fine though. I tried with another folder in different location, still no luck. however, when I created
    a shortcut to the folder I placed on the desktop, I can change its icon to the custom one just fine. is there any way to fix it?

najodleglejszy, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Icons changed by themselves

I customized the folder icons by clicking on the folder's properties then selecting the customize tab and changing the icon. I used new icons from the internet and the icons that I changed and the ones that changed by themselves were only from Windows Explorer.

ThomasOS_00, Aug 12, 2015
  4. I can't change folder icon to a custom one

An organisation called "Shedko" has a programme Shedko Folderico. It was originally for windows 7 and I used it on that, however it has worked for me on Win 8, win8.1 and now it works on 10.

Shedko software - quality software for your desktop | Shedko software
    You can integrate into right click menu to click on any folder to change the icon to your choice. I have a folder packed with various icons and have linked it to that.
    It has never given me any problems although icons I use for Photos/music/videos in my user folder usually get reverted to default with MS updates. So I have to change them to my liking again
    Give it a try.

brotherboard, Aug 12, 2015
  5. I'd rather not use a 3rd party software for that since it should've been possible to do with Windows itself. I'd prefer to fix the issue.

najodleglejszy, Aug 13, 2015
  6. No problem*Smile. Good luck

brotherboard, Aug 13, 2015
  7. Utkrisht Win User
    Right click on the folder then open the security tab. Press the Edit button Select Users and check the full control box.
    Worked for me.

Utkrisht, Jan 6, 2017
  8. dmesal Win User

I can't change folder icon to a custom one

Good Day All the permissions trick didn't work for me (Not on ms word 2010)

just letting you know

DME

dmesal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I can't change folder icon to a custom one

1. I can't change folder icon to a custom one - Similar Threads - can't change folder

2. Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11: I am trying to change the icon of a folder on my computer and it doesn't work.I go to properties/customize/change icon and I choose an .ico file I have in a folder. When I click on "apply" the icon changes, but then it reverts back to the default.I also tried with an icon in...
  3. Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't customize folder icons in Windows 11: I am trying to change the icon of a folder on my computer and it doesn't work.I go to properties/customize/change icon and I choose an .ico file I have in a folder. When I click on "apply" the icon changes, but then it reverts back to the default.I also tried with an icon in...
  4. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  5. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  6. Is there a way to change a PDF icon to a custom one?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to change a PDF icon to a custom one?: Is there a way to change a PDF icon to a custom one? I'm not talking about the PDF application, I'm talking about the files. I want to change every icon of every PDF file on my computer to a custom icon. Thanks in advance Default PDF file iconCustom Icon [ATTACH][IMG]...
  7. I can't customize folder icons anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't customize folder icons anymore: I was able to customize folder icons but they changed into what looks like an empty folder. I tried restoring them to their original image and customizing it again but the same empty folder appears. The ico files I have just don't seem to work anymore. When I try to customize...
  8. I can't change folder icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't change folder icons: Windows Home Version 1909 Here is what I did I have went and pressed Windows + R and then in there I went to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" without quotes. And I added the "Shell Icons" folder in the "Explorer Folder" and then on the...
  9. Can't change folder icon

Can't change folder icon: [ATTACH] This is the problem I'm having. I want to change all these icons but I can't. The box is greyed out and I have no found any forum post of youtube video with this issue. Please help....
  10. Can't customize folders; icon layout resets

Can't customize folders; icon layout resets: Ever since the last update, I've noticed my in-folder icons keep resetting to detail view I prefer large icons (I work with a lot of image files). Attempting to fix this via folder Properties > Customize, I discovered something else: I can no longer change folder templates. I...