Windows 10: I cant click on any newly installed programs in windows 10 start menu

Discus and support I cant click on any newly installed programs in windows 10 start menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Been through half a dozen windows 10 installs trying to get it right! Im not sure at what point this happened as everything in there from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by klepp0906, Aug 6, 2016.

1. klepp0906 Win User

I cant click on any newly installed programs in windows 10 start menu

Been through half a dozen windows 10 installs trying to get it right!

Im not sure at what point this happened as everything in there from hours/days ago works fine.

I just installed GIMP2 as im working on fixing my busted iphone icons in devices & printers and I tried to click on it in the start menu and nothing happens. Not like the click even registers whatsoever. Its like its not even there. might as well be clicking on empty space on the desktop.

Any ideas? Any services that could be the culprit? I always set to manual instead of disable, and ill be the first to admit i turned off indexing as well as used winaero tweaker..

but so far so good. except this. I'm anal enough that I wont proceed with my icon making until I get this resolved and i will DIE if i have to concede to another dump of windows and a wasted day. Only so much free time w/ a 1 y/o!

Rest assured I know one of you guys will know. Site is an amazing resource *Smile

:)

klepp0906, Aug 6, 2016

2. Can't click on any icons in the Windows 10 menu

Thanks I will give it a try and let you know. In the meantime I found out that the upgrade process replaced my Logitech mouse drivers. After some fancy installation procedures I'm 95% there. Right now the Logitech drivers are controlling my touchpad as
    well. Hopefully your suggestion will fix it all.

Emilio Incerto, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Can't click on any icons in the Windows 10 menu

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply. Are you still facing the issue? If yes, please follow the below suggestions:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Close the CMD window

Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Aug 6, 2016
  4. klepp0906 Win User

So fwiw - it will work after a restart.

Question is, what is or is not happening that makes them unuseable until I restart?

I hope this tidbit makes it an easy fix/easier fix!

If i didnt have killer OCD and pride in my overpriced PC, i'd just leave it and restart every time i installed something. That being said, its a pain and unrealistic and means an underlying problem exists.

I'm sure ya'll understand or you wouldnt be here *Smile

klepp0906, Aug 6, 2016
  5. klepp0906 Win User
    gah - seems it was gimp (i think). Wont mark this as solved just yet - but crisis could be averted.

klepp0906, Aug 6, 2016
  6. klepp0906 Win User
    klepp0906, Aug 26, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just tried installing GIMP on win 10 pro 64 bits- launches ok from the Win 10 start menu - which I never routinely use (!). I'm running as admin with UAC on.

You should find its shortcut here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Try opening the folder, and clicking on the shortcut.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I cant click on any newly installed programs in windows 10 start menu - Similar Threads - cant click newly

2. Newly installed programs are not shown as recently added programs in start menu after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newly installed programs are not shown as recently added programs in start menu after...: When I installed Windows 11 with default US timezone and installing any new program, the program appears as recently added in start menu. But when I change to timezone Actually I have to change timezone since I live in a different country to my desired location and install...
  3. Newly installed programs are not shown as recently added programs in start menu after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newly installed programs are not shown as recently added programs in start menu after...: When I installed Windows 11 with default US timezone and installing any new program, the program appears as recently added in start menu. But when I change to timezone Actually I have to change timezone since I live in a different country to my desired location and install...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start Menu Programs: Can Windows 10 display all programs as a list of files and folders like Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-programs/d3be5cd6-4220-42d6-bec4-b4f36e667f91
  5. Windows 10 start menu not updating for newly installed programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 start menu not updating for newly installed programs: I noticed that when I search for something that I installed recently, I can't find it when searching for it. Example: I have installed the Everything search tool and I want to invoke it by searching from the start menu, but I don't get a result....
  6. Cant click on taskbar/start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant click on taskbar/start menu: I cannot click on my taskbar, no right click either. I can click on my desktop icons and open them, but then i cant click on anything in the folders. Sometimes it swaps, like i can click on taskbar but not desktop. My mouse also sometimes randomly does a middlemouse button...
  7. cant open any windows related program and start menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant open any windows related program and start menu: so this problem started the other day where I was unable to open my start menu. thinking it was just some weird bug as my pc has a tendency of crashing (another issue) I thought it was due to this. The problem has persisted and I cannot find a way to fix it. what is funny is...
  8. I cant get any programs to instal. It asks for administrative rights and i click OK and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cant get any programs to instal. It asks for administrative rights and i click OK and...: I was trying to uninstal an Ipack and it Uninstallled.When I went to install another Ipack it asked for admin rights which I oked and it looked like it was extracting the files like normal and just never installs. Ive restarted and turned off my antivirus but it wont finish...
  9. Installed program not in the start menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installed program not in the start menu.: With a clean install of Win 10 1703 I installed MSI Afterburner from the administrator account but the shortcuts weren't placed in the standard accounts start menu. I'm not sure if this is Windows issue or MSI Afterburner as I haven't received a reply from Guru3d forums...
  10. Start menu programs right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu programs right click: Hello, recently I have reinstalled my windows, and after few days, after right clicking on my apps in start menu several options, which have been previously, disappeared. I can't uninstall, resize, or pin apps to start. Right clicking only show 'more' with sub-menu. Does...