Windows 10: I can't delete folders in Steamapps

Discus and support I can't delete folders in Steamapps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I had a windows 8 laptop, and I never had this problem. Because of this I assume it has to do with windows 10 that is on my new laptop. I want to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JTGames1000, Aug 1, 2017.

1. I can't delete folders in Steamapps

So I had a windows 8 laptop, and I never had this problem. Because of this I assume it has to do with windows 10 that is on my new laptop. I want to do a mass delete of steam games without going through the uninstall process through steam, and I could do this before on my old laptop, but on here it denies my access and tells me I need permissions from the system. Am I not admin? If I'm not admin, why can I give admin access to downloads and stuff like fraps, but not deleting stuff?

:)

JTGames1000, Aug 1, 2017
  2. BTrudgill Win User

Deleting a folder from steamApps

Hi,

I installed a mod to gta V the other week and now i want to delete it. It was the gta V redux mod with Ultra-v3 preset. I tried to remove the mod by verifying the files through steam and it redownloaded 36GB of files. This however did not cure the problem.
    I uninstalled the game and tried to delete the gta v folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Grand Theft Auto V but it says i need administrator permission to remove the folder (which is am). Even after trying to give myself permission through
    the properties tab and trying a program to give permision it still fails. I have nailed it down to a couple folders from the mod inside it, but when i go all the way down the folders i get that i dont have access.

Any help in this would be appreciated

BTrudgill, Aug 1, 2017
  3. Louie Del Win User
    Deleting a folder from steamApps

Hi,

A corrupted system files or changes made on the permission settings are the possible cause why you're unable to delete a folder. To resolve your concern, you can use the following methods:

Method 1: Delete the folder with Command Prompt.

Command Prompt can be useful for deleting a folder and sometime it's more efficient when performing commands. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Type cmd on the Search box, then hit
      Enter
    • In the Command Prompt, type del and the location of the folder that you want to delete, then press
      Enter.
    Method 2: Change the ownership of the folder.

If appropriate permissions will be set, then you'll gain the full permission of the file or folder. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the file you want to delete, the select Properties.
    • Click the Advanced button, under the Security tab.
    • Once the Advanced Security Settings window appear, you'll see
      Owner.
    • In some case SYSTEM is listed as owner, and in some it's TrustedInstaller, click on
      Change option, next to the name of the Owner.
    • Enter the username you want to become the owner file, press Check Names to make sure if it's okay, the press
      OK.
    • Check the name of the Owner if it has changed already once you get back to the
      Advanced Security Settings window. You'll also see a checkbox called
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects, check that checkbox and click
      Apply.
    • Click Windows Security Properties (Windows will require you to restart it).
    • Open the Properties again, by right-clicking on the file, then go to
      Security tab and select Advanced.
    • Under the Permission tab, check Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object.
    • Click Edit.
    • In the permission Entry window, check Full Control and click
      OK.
    • Try to delete folder again.

Let us know if your concern has been resolved.

Louie Del, Aug 1, 2017
Thema:

I can't delete folders in Steamapps

1. I can't delete folders in Steamapps - Similar Threads - can't delete folders

2. I can't delete a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't delete a folder: I am using Windows 10. I am trying to delete a folder, but it keeps saying "You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder" even though I set all permissions in the folder to Full Control. Is there anything else I missed?...
  3. I can't delete a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't delete a folder: I am using Windows 10. I am trying to delete a folder, but it keeps saying "You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder" even though I set all permissions in the folder to Full Control. Is there anything else I missed?...
  4. I can't delete a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I Can't Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Can't Delete a Folder: I have a folder I created but I can't delete. When I try to delete the folder I get an error telling me I need permission from myself to delete it. I tried to change the ownership of the folder to everyone, but that gives me an error that says, "Failed to enumerate objects....
  6. I Can't Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Can't Delete a Folder: I have a folder I created but I can't delete. When I try to delete the folder I get an error telling me I need permission from myself to delete it. I tried to change the ownership of the folder to everyone, but that gives me an error that says, "Failed to enumerate objects....
  7. I can't delete a folder

I can't delete a folder: I accidently wrote a infinite loop to creat a bunch of folders. These folders are nested toghther and there is probably more than 10k layers. Now I can't delete these folder, since there is too much layers. I tried to use python to delete these folders and it says that...
  8. There is a folder that I can't delete.

There is a folder that I can't delete.: I have 2 drivesC and D and most apps download to C drive. But windows has this feature where it can move the apps to D drive, which I did. But soon after that I had to reset my system which reset everything except for the D driveWhich has 2 windows apps folders. If I try to...
  9. Folder that I can't delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder that I can't delete: I have a folder in win 10 that I can't delete! When I try to delete it is says "You do not have access to this folder" There is an explanation on what to do to gain access to it but it is meaningless to me! Can someone give me clear & concise procedure on how to delete...
  10. Can't delete folder that I created

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete folder that I created: This folder was created in Feb. It's in C: Users/(Me)/Music. I named it Overflow so I could move files into it to keep the main folder looking cleaner. It has no content except for a subfolder called "Photos" (which also has no content). When I look at properties I get...