Windows 10: I can't delete winrar, says file is open in another program, causing virus (I think)

Discus and support I can't delete winrar, says file is open in another program, causing virus (I think) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, i downloaded Winrar a few months ago to extract .rar files, but I think I downloaded a fake and now I can't delete it. It caused 3 unwanted apps to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Kathryn G, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Kathryn G Win User

I can't delete winrar, says file is open in another program, causing virus (I think)

Hi, i downloaded Winrar a few months ago to extract .rar files, but I think I downloaded a fake and now I can't delete it. It caused 3 unwanted apps to be downloaded, I did not choose to download them and I was unaware until the app showed up. It also keeps making this thing pop up that says "End of Service Notification" saying that acer portal services will be discontinued on '2018/09/03'. It then wants me to click a button saying 'I got it", which I think is what lead to the unwanted apps. You cannot close the message. I think if i can just delete Winrar, it will all go away. The problem is that it says I can't delete it because the file is open in another program. I would really appreciate help because I am very afraid that my computer is going to catch a worse virus. Thank you

:)

Kathryn G, Jul 5, 2018
  2. Kathryn G Win User

I can't delete winrar, says file is open in another program, causing virus (I think)

Hi, i downloaded Winrar a few months ago to extract .rar files, but I think I downloaded a fake and now I can't delete it. It caused 3 unwanted apps to be downloaded, I did not choose to download them and I was unaware until the app showed up. It also
    keeps making this thing pop up that says "End of Service Notification" saying that acer portal services will be discontinued on '2018/09/03'. It then wants me to click a button saying 'I got it", which I think is what lead to the unwanted apps. You cannot
    close the message. I think if i can just delete Winrar, it will all go away. The problem is that it says I can't delete it because the file is open in another program. I would really appreciate help because I am very afraid that my computer is going to catch
    a worse virus. Thank you

Kathryn G, Nov 11, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User

Hi Kartryn,

Yes WinRar is commonly wrapped in unwanted programs if installed from a non-official website

Your best option is to manually delete the WinRar folder - C:\Program Files\WinRAR

Then go into Control Panel - Programs and Features and try to uninstall it again - it will then be removed form the list of installed apps . . .

DaveM121, Nov 11, 2018
  4. I can't delete winrar, says file is open in another program, causing virus (I think)

Hi

My suggestion is that you try to restart your computer and validate once ingested to remove the conflicting program. Mostly these programs but download safe and reliable pages bring possible viruses.

It will also be recommended that if you have an antivirus installed you can run a general search on all the disk drives.

Regards

dayamiperez, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

1. I can't delete winrar, says file is open in another program, causing virus (I think) - Similar Threads - can't delete winrar

2. when i try open files on winrar it say: the instruction at 0x00000000557B87D5 referenced...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    when i try open files on winrar it say: the instruction at 0x00000000557B87D5 referenced...: this what the image says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-try-open-files-on-winrar-it-say-the/fc0e50ca-3f6b-4cb3-8967-64942848c794
  3. when i try open files on winrar it say: the instruction at 0x00000000557B87D5 referenced...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when i try open files on winrar it say: the instruction at 0x00000000557B87D5 referenced...: this what the image says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-try-open-files-on-winrar-it-say-the/fc0e50ca-3f6b-4cb3-8967-64942848c794
  4. when i try open files on winrar it say: the instruction at 0x00000000557B87D5 referenced...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't remove the file "aow_drv_x64" because it says it's running in another program, I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't remove the file "aow_drv_x64" because it says it's running in another program, I...: I can't delete the file "aow_drv_x64_ev.sys" because it says it's running in another programand I've tried the way.Right-click on Command Prompt then select “Run as Administrator” press Enternet stop aow_drv "...service was stopped successfully. Close Command Prompt once it...
  6. I can't remove the file "aow_drv_x64" because it says it's running in another program, I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't remove the file "aow_drv_x64" because it says it's running in another program, I...: I can't delete the file "aow_drv_x64_ev.sys" because it says it's running in another programand I've tried the way.Right-click on Command Prompt then select “Run as Administrator” press Enternet stop aow_drv "...service was stopped successfully. Close Command Prompt once it...
  7. Unable to delete files weirdly "opened by another program"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to delete files weirdly "opened by another program": Hello all, I just have cleaned up and reorganised font folders on my dropbox. But there is a folder with a bunch of fonts that I can't delete, having the message that files "is open in another program". I checked and closed everything, even rebooted in safe mode to try to...
  8. File is open in another program

in Windows 10 Support
    File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...
  9. Opening Files I Think

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening Files I Think: Every time I try to download a file it won't download the right way or I can't put it in my game because it keeps on downloading with Internet Explorer. I have downloaded another app to download files or whatever, but it keeps on going back to internet explorer and won't let...
  10. Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program": The ASUS Aura software for my ASUS B250F motherboard was working fine until I downloaded ASUS GPU Tweak II, for some reason it reset the lighting on my motherboard back to its default rainbow setting, I went into The ASUS Aura software to change it back to the way it was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winrar open in another program