Windows 10: I can't disable windows update driver installation

Discus and support I can't disable windows update driver installation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded to 10 again without doing anything I usually do before hand. I went to disable the option to not let windows update install drivers and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tim87, Nov 17, 2015.

1. tim87 Win User

I can't disable windows update driver installation

I upgraded to 10 again without doing anything I usually do before hand. I went to disable the option to not let windows update install drivers and theres no option. I went to advanced system settings, hardware, then device installation settings and theres only 2 options, yes (recommended) and no (your device might not work as expected) What is going on now?

:)

tim87, Nov 17, 2015

2. After latest update Windows auto enables faulty hardware

After recent Windows 10 update it keeps enabling a disabled faulty ATI graphics card. It also installs drivers for it.

I disable device, uninstalled driver, removed local copies of the driver and in System > >"device installation settings" automatic driver downloading is set to "No ..."

Still the device is repeatedly gets enabled and driver installed.

(Why can't I manually disable a device? Why is the disable option there if it is not possible to use it.)

BTW Windows 7 actually recognized that the hardware was faulty and disabled by itself.

Please provide a solution for it. Thanks.

Adam Koncz, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Can't download scanner driver software from my Canon printer because of a Microsoft update

I can't download/install the scanner driver software for my Canon Pixma MG6320. This is apparently due to a Windows update that disabled my scanner. Microsoft's trouble shooting feature found nothing.

MarcCherno, Nov 17, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

This setting alone is not enough. You must hide the unwanted drivers updates, so they will not install. Of course, before you can hide them you must first install the manufacturer's drivers. You cannot hide something already installed.

spapakons, Nov 17, 2015
  5. tim87 Win User
    Sorry, I'm not following you. I have to install the drivers that windows update installs before I can hide it? Why don't I get the options I used to when going into device installation settings?

tim87, Nov 17, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 17, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    To be able to hide the updates you must first replace the driver with the official driver from manufacturer. Then the utility (see link on previous post) will find the update again and show you on a list of updates. Then you can choose to hide it (disabled it). If the update is already installed, the utility won't find anything new and you won't get that on the list.

spapakons, Nov 17, 2015
  8. tim87 Win User

tim87, Nov 17, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Unfortunately, despite of the setting, Windows Update will reinstall any driver updates unless you hide them (see my previous posts). I tried.

spapakons, Nov 17, 2015
  10. tim87 Win User
    I didn't have to do any of this to make windows update not install any driver updates.

tim87, Nov 17, 2015
  11. tim87 Win User
    So I actually have to do a lot more than what I originally was told.

tim87, Nov 17, 2015
  12. tim87 Win User
    I went to the link you gave me and step 5 is what I originally did, but once I select no, no other options pop up like it should. Which is why I made this thread in the first place.

Update: so I'm assuming I have windows 10 insider preview build 10565 since the options that are supposed to pop up aren't. **?!

Update 2: After I replied with the first update, I did the windows update which installed some security update, did a couple more things then restarted. The *** computer locked up during the restart process again! the one problem I've had each time I've upgraded to 10! That's the last straw, I'm done with this *** *Mad

tim87, Nov 17, 2015
  13. tim87 Win User

So I checked my moms laptop which is the non touchscreen version of my laptop, but she has the intel celeron N2840 processor instead of the N2830 that I got. Her damn laptop NEVER locks up during restart on win 10 like mine does. I don't understand lol

tim87, Nov 17, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You should only see this below with step 5. It's the new default in the new Windows 10 TH2 as well.

I can't disable windows update driver installation [​IMG]

Brink, Nov 17, 2015
  15. tim87 Win User
    Those two options are exactly what I got which is why made this thread. I then found out I had the newer version of ten? Now can you tell me why my pc locks up every time I restart? Like I said before, it doesnt happen on my moms laptop, only mine.

tim87, Nov 17, 2015
Thema:

1. I can't disable windows update driver installation - Similar Threads - can't disable update

2. Drivers not installed and can't update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drivers not installed and can't update: I really need help, my usb devices keep saying they don't have drivers, none of my usb sticks have drivers in device manager, my HyperX headset usb lead doesn't have drivers so I can't use it on my PC and now my webcam has decided it doesn't have drivers and won't work. Tried...
  3. Drivers not installed and can't update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drivers not installed and can't update: I really need help, my usb devices keep saying they don't have drivers, none of my usb sticks have drivers in device manager, my HyperX headset usb lead doesn't have drivers so I can't use it on my PC and now my webcam has decided it doesn't have drivers and won't work. Tried...
  4. Windows can't install nvidia driver in windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows can't install nvidia driver in windows update: HelloI have a lenovo ideapad l340 gaming 8gb ram intel i5 9th gen , nvidia gtx 1050 I updated to windows 11 in the start of this year and since then i've been facing problems with my nvidia driver and it disappeared completely from my computer since then Like i have no GPU...
  5. Windows can't install nvidia driver in windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows can't install nvidia driver in windows update: HelloI have a lenovo ideapad l340 gaming 8gb ram intel i5 9th gen , nvidia gtx 1050 I updated to windows 11 in the start of this year and since then i've been facing problems with my nvidia driver and it disappeared completely from my computer since then Like i have no GPU...
  6. permanently disable driver installations from Windows update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    permanently disable driver installations from Windows update: Hi guys! I am running Windows 10 Pro 20H2. I have installed Windows at least 20 times over and over and followed the tutorials from the forum here to stop driver updates and automatic updates. The purpose why I am doing this is to prevent Windows update from installing...
  7. Can't install/update nvidia drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install/update nvidia drivers: Hello, so i own an Asus scar II gaming laptop i7 8750H 32gb ram 2070 rtx, been 2 years i got this bad boy and today i can't update nvidia driver, i used ddu, doesn't work, tried no failure mode doesn't work, i tried nvidia cleanstall doesn't work, so i went as far as entirely...
  8. I can't disable windows update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't disable windows update.: I can't disable windows update anymore. Any kind of help will be appreciated. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-disable-windows-update/a8c1fa1e-81f5-4ca4-b082-be2432c7e055
  9. Disable Driver Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Driver Update: Howdy, System Properties > Hardware > Device Installation Settings Here I want to: 1. No, let me choose what to do 2. Never install driver software from Windows Update 3. Disable Automatically get the device app... As shown in the snapshot. I want to do the above...
  10. Can't disable driver signature

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't disable driver signature: I disable driver signature pressing 7 button: [img] But when try to install unsigned driver I get this error: [img] The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information + info: I folow the next manual to instal this drivers. 19439