Windows 10: I can't enable Windows Defender SmartScreen option

Discus and support I can't enable Windows Defender SmartScreen option in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Why I don't have access to that option? what's that red line meaning?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mahidur, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Mahidur Win User

I can't enable Windows Defender SmartScreen option

Why I don't have access to that option?

what's that red line meaning?

:)

Mahidur, Aug 25, 2018

2. Can't launch any applications

Hi,

This error message will show if the application or program that you are trying to open was been blocked by Windows Defender SmartScreen. Having said that, we suggest that you disable Windows Defender SmartScreen by following these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • Click on Off in the following options:
      • Check apps and files.
      • SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.
      • SmartScreen for Windows Store apps.
    • SmartScreen is now completely disabled. If you'd like to still receive a warning when a potentially malicious file or program is detected, you can choose Warn in each SmartScreen option.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Aug 25, 2018
  3. I cannot disable Windows SmartScreen

Hi,

Disabling Windows SmartScreen in updated Windows versions was already moved to Windows Defender Security Center. It's a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update. That might be the reason why it is not showing in the Control Panel. For us to disable the
    Windows SmartScreen, please follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Press Enter.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • You have 3 options:
    • If you will disable it, it will show you a warning message.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Aug 25, 2018
  4. Rob Koch Win User

Defender/SmartScreen warning.

Though this doesn't explain why an application's specific reputation might have changed, the addition of granular controls for these settings in the recently released Windows 10 Creators Update may have something to do with it.

Smartscreen in Creators Update

This newer implementation of SmartScreen within Windows 10 has also been renamed to

Windows Defender SmartScreen
    rather than the old Windows SmartSreen and SmartScreen Filter name within the browser.

Again, none of this specifically explains a change in reputation, but it's possible that all of these changes might have affected the reputation for some applications or certificates.

Since you didn't specify what type of certificate you are using, since this affects the ability to add or gain reputation status more quickly. The

Windows Defender SmartScreen® Filter Frequently Asked Questions
    page covers this as follows.

There are industry best practices for application developers that will affect your download's reputation and help ensure reputation is established and maintained. If your program is not digitally signed, reputation cannot automatically be shared
    across different versions and builds.

To help establish your application's reputation, consider doing the following:

• Digitally sign your programs with an Authenticode signature

Reputation is generated and assigned to digital certificates as well as specific files. Digital certificates allow data to be aggregated and assigned to a single certificate rather than many individual programs. Only Authenticode Certificates issued by a Certificate
      Authority (CA) that is a member of the Windows Root Certificate Program can establish reputation.
    • Apply for a Windows Logo

To learn more visit the
      Windows Logo Program
      page on MSDN.

Rob

Rob Koch, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

1. I can't enable Windows Defender SmartScreen option - Similar Threads - can't enable Defender

2. Microsoft Defender Smartscreen "Can't Run" *HELP*

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Smartscreen "Can't Run" *HELP*: Hello,I can't download apps because of this microsoft defender smartscreen.. How can I turn it off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-smartscreen-cant-run-help/95b2bc05-329e-4e23-8455-41a0e7d4a208
  3. Microsoft Defender Smartscreen "Can't Run" *HELP*

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Defender Smartscreen "Can't Run" *HELP*: Hello,I can't download apps because of this microsoft defender smartscreen.. How can I turn it off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-smartscreen-cant-run-help/95b2bc05-329e-4e23-8455-41a0e7d4a208
  4. Windows defender SmartScreen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows defender SmartScreen: Bonjour,J'ai un gros soucis avec SmartScreen il consomme en permanence entre 25 et 30% de ressources processeur sans que le PC ne fasse quoi que ce soit.Comment puis-je faire pour stopper ce process?...
  5. Windows Defender Smartscreen Warning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Smartscreen Warning: [IMG] Would I be safe to visit this site if I don't reveal any personal info? I sent them a message and they responded saying their site is safe. Duh, what else would they say? Thanks, Terry...
  6. defender smartscreen

defender smartscreen: im trying to download a file and run it but everytime i do it says unverified publisher and wont let me i disabled everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/defender-smartscreen/d22f5060-47dd-4724-aebc-0662fafe1aac
  7. Windows Defender Smartscreen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender Smartscreen: Windows Defender SmartScreen is constantly using 13-16% of my CPU resources. Is this normal? Seems to be bogging my computer down. Task manager shows Very High power usage and Very High power usage trend. This doesn't seem appropriate for a function that operates in the...
  8. Windows defender smartscreen

Windows defender smartscreen: Every time i go to install a application on my windows 10 it keeps getting Blocked by the windows defender smartscreen security is there anyone that can help me please i’ve tried turning off the windows defender smartscreen but i’m still have no look hope someone can please...
  9. Windows Defender SmartScreen

Windows Defender SmartScreen: We are developing an application and singing both the executable/dlls as well as the installer with an EV code-signing certificate. Our application recently we began being flagged by Windows Defender SmartScreen despite having the EV certificate. It passes the Windows App...
  10. Windows Defender/SmartScreen

Windows Defender/SmartScreen: Why does Windows Defender/SmartScreen detect the AMTSO Test Web sites Phishing test page one day and then I try another day and it WILL NOT detect it? What is going on? I do not want a 3rd party A/V product, but we need consistent and strong protection. Thanks, Karl...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender smart screen not working

2. i accidentally disabled smartscreen and cant get it back on