Windows 10: I Can't Format My HDD

Discus and support I Can't Format My HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hiya guys, I have 2 HDD's in my PC, one is a Windows 10 HDD and the other is just there for media files. I wanted to format my media drive, but it wont... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EvoKazz, Sep 24, 2016.

1. EvoKazz Win User

I Can't Format My HDD

Hiya guys, I have 2 HDD's in my PC, one is a Windows 10 HDD and the other is just there for media files. I wanted to format my media drive, but it wont let me. It turns out when I installed Windows 10, it added the boot folders to the media HDD. No idea why.

I guess I need to somehow move these files to the Windows 10 HDD, so then it might let me format it? But I have no idea how to do this, and everything I have Google'd looks really hard, what's the easiest way to fix this? I just want my Windows HDD only, and format the other.

:)

EvoKazz, Sep 24, 2016

2. Can't format HDD

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

It seems that, some of the hardware settings might got corrupted.

I suggest you to run Hardware and device troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Run Hardware and device troubleshooter

a) Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.

b) Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

c) Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.

d) Follow the On Screen instructions.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Sep 24, 2016
  3. RBDRE Win User
    Can't format HDD

A few days ago I installed a new SSD and installed a fresh copy of Windows10. I want to format my old HDD but my system is telling me it is in use. At this point I don't really know what to do.

Someone with a solution?

RBDRE, Sep 24, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

I Can't Format My HDD

Welcome to the forum can you post a screenshot of your drives from disk manager so we can see what's going on. If you pull the power on the drive will Windows then not boot?

Samuria, Sep 24, 2016
  5. EvoKazz Win User
    Sure thing, here you go,

Imgur: Disk Map

I just disconnected the Seagate drive (one I want to format) and it refused to boot the PC.

EvoKazz, Sep 24, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Download a free version of: EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies
    Install then run. Follow the steps in the screen shot to move the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) file to C then you should be able to format D: Drive.

I Can't Format My HDD [​IMG]

topgundcp, Sep 24, 2016
  7. EvoKazz Win User
    Ok I ran that program and it does indeed make the boot files on C:/ problem is they are still present on my Seagate, and I still can't format, it says cannot format as drive in use by system.

EvoKazz, Sep 25, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

I Can't Format My HDD

You might have to try formatting the media HD from within Safe Mode without Networking.

RolandJS, Sep 25, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Open Admin Comand and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    clean
    exit

Open Disk management then initialize, Create Simple partition, format.

topgundcp, Sep 25, 2016
  10. EvoKazz Win User
    This worked! Now doing a Format, thanks everyone in this thread your help has been superb!

EvoKazz, Sep 25, 2016
  11. Gendji Win User
    So i dont understand much of computers recently my hdd broke i bought a 2 tb new one and replaced it but when i did that i couldnt format my hdd and i wouldnt allow me to download anything on it i tried multiple things and now i cant even enter it i cant format it i cant do anything ill be glad if someone help me out Screenshot - 36b48fca8054b4ba736fd8e71d1e94b1 - Gyazo Screenshot - 8588461107871c7f7700975d7c3caac9 - Gyazo

Gendji, May 20, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    You have to create a volume before you can format it.

cereberus, May 20, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

I Can't Format My HDD

Or in other words, a volume can be called a partition. All HDDs need at least one partition created then formatted.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I Can't Format My HDD

1. I Can't Format My HDD - Similar Threads - Can't Format HDD

2. Can't format HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format HDD: SO yeah, I can't format HHD, no way. chkdsk doesn't work, it's RAW, format doesn't work and gives me errors. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-hdd/6f2ac8df-6890-4e8a-a850-638e1556a4ef
  3. Can't format HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format HDD: SO yeah, I can't format HHD, no way. chkdsk doesn't work, it's RAW, format doesn't work and gives me errors. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-hdd/6f2ac8df-6890-4e8a-a850-638e1556a4ef
  4. Can't format HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Formatting HDD

Formatting HDD: Why creating partition does not generate healthy partitions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-hdd/bd6e4a63-8334-4c10-9ba3-4c82e381a01f
  6. Formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting HDD: Why creating partition does not generate healthy partitions ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-hdd/bd6e4a63-8334-4c10-9ba3-4c82e381a01f
  7. Formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. HDD Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Format: This might be a stupid Question lolHow do I tell for If an External USB HDD has been Formatted or not .... so I know for IF I NEED to Format it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-format/b956aefa-2570-4e3a-b8d6-e8715e386bba
  9. Can't Seem to Format a New HDD

Can't Seem to Format a New HDD: I get this message: Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_ST2000DM008-2FR1\5&2b637674&0&050000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_SanDisk&Prod_Ultra&Rev_1.00\4C530001061220111581&0 Class Guid:...
  10. Can't format my HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't format my HDD: So i tried formatting my HDD trough cmd and the drives manager. Both don't let me do it. When i do it with cmd it says can't format drive with system-,crashdump-, upstartvolume. The only file i have on my HDD is the windowsApps file. When i factory reset my pc it doesn't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant format hdd

2. admin cant format hdd