Windows 10: I can't get into bios or change what OS to boot into on a USB keyboard

Discus and support I can't get into bios or change what OS to boot into on a USB keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I unplugged my keyboard one day and now all the sudden, I can't use the usb keyboard at all on boot. I can't get into bios. I have a dual boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MrRandomMan, Feb 21, 2017.

1. I can't get into bios or change what OS to boot into on a USB keyboard

So I unplugged my keyboard one day and now all the sudden, I can't use the usb keyboard at all on boot. I can't get into bios. I have a dual boot between Windows 10 and Ubuntu and I can't get into ubuntu now. I decided to try plugging in a keyboard with the old plug (sorry don't remember what it is called) and it works on boot. So my question is, how do I get my USB keyboard to turn on at boot?

:)

MrRandomMan, Feb 21, 2017

2. I couldn't get into BIOS to change boot sequence (but that is another problem). The search facility was also not working.

Thank you for your reply. sfc run, but no issues found.

grumpyoldman_717, Feb 21, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    I couldn't get into BIOS to change boot sequence (but that is another problem). The search facility was also not working.

You need to run sfc as admin. Right click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin) then carry out the scan using sfc /scannow at the prompt.

neilpzz, Feb 21, 2017
  4. I can't get into bios or change what OS to boot into on a USB keyboard

I believe the old port you are talking about is a PS/2 (6pin) for a keyboard.

Try changing the boot priority with the old keyboard first. Make sure USB is first, also make sure all options to do with keyboard power in BIOS are enabled.

ellellell1, Feb 22, 2017
  5. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Feb 22, 2017
  6. Yes I have and it still doesn't work

Also just a little side note I don't use both the PS/2 and USB Keyboard at the same time. I only plugged in the PS/2 Keyboard to diagnose if it was a problem with the usb keyboard.

MrRandomMan, Feb 22, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Also in the BIOS may be a setting about Legacy USB, that has to be Enabled. An issue I've seen with computers that have the blue USB 3.0 ports is they don't have support until the Operating System gets loaded, have to be sure the keyboard and maybe mouse are in USB 2.0 ports.

Berton, Feb 22, 2017
  8. I can't get into bios or change what OS to boot into on a USB keyboard

I plugged back in the PS/2 keyboard to my computer to look for the Legacy USB setting (My bios named it USB Legacy Function) and it is enabled and I have made sure my keyboard is plugged into a USB 2.0 slot and it is still not working. Any tips? *Also my bios is Award Modular 2012, my motherboard is in My System Specs

9. I would unplug from wall. Remove CMOS battery. Press power on button for 20 secs. Re assemble, using USB 2.0 ports as suggested. Make necessary BIOS changes. Boot to windows.

Caledon Ken, Feb 22, 2017
  10. I am fairly decent with computers but by no means am I willing to do this as I will be afaird with I brake my computer

11. Resetting the BIOS to defaults via the BIOS menu, or the motherboard reset jumper, will do essentially the same thing. It's not a wireless USB keyboard is it?

alphanumeric, Feb 22, 2017
  12. Okay, however I think you need your BIOS to rediscover the USB controllers. I respect your call.

The processes, if you want to review are on page 16 and 22 of your manual.

Caledon Ken, Feb 23, 2017
  13. I can't get into bios or change what OS to boot into on a USB keyboard

The keyboard is a wired keyboard

MrRandomMan, Feb 23, 2017
  14. Ok, I figured as much but just wanted to make sure. There were some PC's that you couldn't access the BIOS via a USB keyboard, but that was a long long time ago. I haven't seen that issue for a long time now. Usually enabling Legacy USB support fixes it. Some keyboards will let you plug the blue USB to PS2 adapter in and plug them into the PS2 port. My Logitech keyboards will work that way. It may let you use the new keyboard to get BIOS access? The adapters are really inexpensive.

alphanumeric, Feb 23, 2017
  15. clam1952 Win User
    Having just Googled the Manual, check all the USB options are enabled.

Enable Power on with Keyboard as well, just a hunch.

clam1952, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I can't get into bios or change what OS to boot into on a USB keyboard

1. I can't get into bios or change what OS to boot into on a USB keyboard - Similar Threads - can't bios change

2. Help! Stuck on BIOS, can't load into OS / USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! Stuck on BIOS, can't load into OS / USB: Running out of ideas, losing my mind, My PC wont boot into OS, can't reinstall windows as it's stuck in bios, tried multiple times, 1 time it worked, began the reset PC process, only for it to be stuck again on BIOS, the loading circle just stop moving, like it frozeThis one...
  3. Help! Stuck on BIOS, can't load into OS / USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help! Stuck on BIOS, can't load into OS / USB: Running out of ideas, losing my mind, My PC wont boot into OS, can't reinstall windows as it's stuck in bios, tried multiple times, 1 time it worked, began the reset PC process, only for it to be stuck again on BIOS, the loading circle just stop moving, like it frozeThis one...
  4. Help! Stuck on BIOS, can't load into OS / USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Keyboard and mouse works in BIOS but not in the OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and mouse works in BIOS but not in the OS: Straight to the point, it seems that the keyboard and mouse USB stopped working when doing a system recovery. It all started with an update which caused instability and applications stops working.I started the steps for a system recovery, however, I have not been able to...
  6. Keyboard and mouse works in BIOS but not in the OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard and mouse works in BIOS but not in the OS: Straight to the point, it seems that the keyboard and mouse USB stopped working when doing a system recovery. It all started with an update which caused instability and applications stops working.I started the steps for a system recovery, however, I have not been able to...
  7. Keyboard and mouse works in BIOS but not in the OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  9. Can't Get Boot to BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Get Boot to BIOS: Hi... Have a Dell XPS 8300 which came with Win7 Home Premium. 10-12 days ago, finally got my system upgraded to Win10... but, after completing the password, all I get is a black screen. FINALLY figured out it's because this motherboard came with an on-board VGA and...
  10. Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD: Hi My problem is that I can't access UEFI Firmware settings or Boot from USB/DVD in the Advanced startup. They are missing. What can I do? I want to go back to windows 8.1 (Don't have windows.old folder), but it gives me an error when I install it when windows is running....