Windows 10: I can't install from usb drive

Discus and support I can't install from usb drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have created a usb drive by burning windows 10 technical preview using my macbook pro's Boot Camp Assistant and the windows 10 technical preview iso... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by skiabox, Mar 27, 2015.

1. skiabox Win User

I can't install from usb drive

I have created a usb drive by burning windows 10 technical preview using my macbook pro's Boot Camp Assistant and the windows 10 technical preview iso but I only get a blinking cursor at my sony vaio vgn-fw21z.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you.

:)

skiabox, Mar 27, 2015

2. Can't install from USB drive

Hi,

The issue you're experiencing might be due to a faulty hardware or corrupted software. For us to further assist you, we'd like to ask if have you tried checking the USB drive to other computers if it is working properly?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try recreate the bootable media by downloading the ISO files. Check the article below and follow the instructions provided.

How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

How
    to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 27, 2015
  3. tiagocnp5 Win User
    Can't install from USB drive

Hello guys,

So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with.

I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and never had any problems..

The PC in question has originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 via that free update.

But now I want to completely format the disk and install a new version of Windows 10.

So I put the iso (one that I have used in many other computers) in the USB drive using Rufus (settings as MBR partition for bios and UEFI/formated as NTFS) and set bios to boot via usb.

The computer boots and then a screen appears saying "press any key to boot from USB". After I press, a screen appears with the windows logo and the rolling dots moving. Then this disappears to a black screen
    and nothing else happens.

Things that I have done so far and didn't work:

-Rufus settings gpt partition for UEFI/fat32

-use Microsoft media creation tool-use windows 7 usb/dvd download tool

- using an only 32bits iso

- different USB drives

I also tried a different approach, going to the troublehost menu and try to "reset this pc". What happens is exactly the same, after reboot goes to Windows logo and then back screen and nothing happens!
    This happens when I click almost every option in the troublehost menu...

I'm really struggling with this, appreciate any help
    I can't install from usb drive [​IMG]
    thanks

tiagocnp5, Mar 27, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

You need to create a bootable USB by using something like RUFUS with the ISO image. You can't just copy the ISO to a USB HDD or stick.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 27, 2015
  5. See: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Option One uses Rufus to create install media on a thumb drive.
    There are two sections UEFI (step 6) and BIOS (step 7) - use the method that matches your machine.

Option Two uses the Windows 7 DVD/USB Download tool to create install media on a DVD or Thumbdrive (there is no UEFI support on the Thumbdrive media with this tool).

To avoid the UEFI issue completely, create install media on a DVD.

Please read though the tutorial and ask any questions - since you're on Boot camp, I might not know the answer, but I know some members that should be able to help.

There are some considerations that you should look at before installing

Fast Boot (Power stetting) and Secure Boot (BIOS/UEFI setting) - both should be disabled for the install. They can be turned on afterwards. Again, I'm not familiar with Boot Camp, so these might not have any bearing. See how far you get by just creating the install media from the tutorial above - that might be enough.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I can't install from usb drive - Similar Threads - can't install usb

2. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  3. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't install Windows from USB drive: I'm trying to install Windows on a brand new gaming PC I've just built. I've used Google to see if I can find an answer and I came across this post on the Answers forum:...
  4. I can't install Windows from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't Boot From USB Drive

Can't Boot From USB Drive: I have an older Dell XPS l1521x and I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10. I used Microsoft's Creation Tool to make the usb stick, but when I plug it in and reboot it just goes into Windows. So I went into the bios A18 and saw secure boot was enabled. From reading some...
  6. can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation

can't boot from usb drive to have clean installation: i change BIOS to boot from usb and no problem with that, but windows installation can't progress, just black screen. What's my problem ? Do i need BIOS update ? If yes, i'm dead, can't find any new firmware for my bios. I'm stuck at version 1709. When i Restart after...
  7. Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?

Can't install windows from USB 3.0 drive?: Hi, I've recently been blessed by the gods with a RTX 3080. I finished my build and... I can't install windows. I manage to reinstall windows on other computers with the USB 3.0 drive. But not this one. I get stuck on this screen see the attachment. I've read online...
  8. Installation W10 from USB drive

Installation W10 from USB drive: I haven HP laptop HP Pavilion g6 with BIOS InsydeH20 rev 3.5. I did not succeed to boot from USB drive for installing W10 Pro original license. I tried all alternatives and it seems that it does not support booting from USB drive. What alternatives do I have? Thanks....
  9. Install from USB partitioned drive?

Install from USB partitioned drive?: Hi guys, Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable. So I bought myself a 250gb m.2 sata ssd, and put it into the Silverstone MS09 m. 2 to USB enclosure to use as a USB thumb drive. My plan was to have a partition of around 10GB that I would use rufus to create a boot...
  10. Can't install from USB drive

Can't install from USB drive: Hello guys, So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with. I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and never had any problems.. The PC in question has originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 via that free update. But...