Windows 10: I can't set any language as default language

Discus and support I can't set any language as default language in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My windows 10 PC currently has French as its Default Language. I can't set any other languages as default. I uninstalled the French language, on my PC,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Val Ready, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Val Ready Win User

I can't set any language as default language

My windows 10 PC currently has French as its Default Language. I can't set any other languages as default. I uninstalled the French language, on my PC, and downloaded English (united-states). Normally, it is supposed to show "set as default" but it doesn't. All it says is "Options" and "Supprimer" (French for delete). I've tried googling this, but nothing helped. I really need to set this PC to English as default language, but it doesn't give me the option to. Could someone help me?

:)

Val Ready, Jul 14, 2018
  2. RFC3514 Win User

Tooltips displayed in the wrong language

Although my version of Windows is set to English and the GPU-Z "Tooltip Language" appears as "System Default (English (United Kingdom))", the tooltips are appearing in the language corresponding to my system locale (or possibly keyboard layout), not the actual system language. I frequently change the keyboard layout and date format (to match the clients I'm working for and the language I'm writing in), but the system language never changes (and software is supposed to run in that language).

I can manually select "English (United States)", but this basically makes it impossible for me to select the "correct" language (i.e., UK English), because it doesn't appear in the list (other than as "system default" - but is then ignored). Obviously it makes no difference to me if it's in UK or US English, but people with other language combinations might have a problem.

It seems the routine that populates the language list in the options is (correctly) determining the system language, but the routine that actually generates the tooltips is (incorrectly) reading the system locale instead of language.

RFC3514, Jul 14, 2018
  3. Unable to set keyboard language as default differently from Windows 10 language

Hello,

You can configure your keyboard language by adding it on the default language set on the system. For instructions, follow these steps:

• Open Settings.
    • Open Time & language.
    • Select Region & language.
    • Click on the default language, and click Options.
    • Select Add a keyboard, and select the language that you want to add.

We'll wait for the outcome.

Antoneth Ber, Jul 14, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Jul 14, 2018
Thema:

1. I can't set any language as default language - Similar Threads - can't set language

2. How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language: This was no problem with Windows 10, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it in Windows 11. I want my Windows 11 language to be completely in English as default. But I need my keyboard by default to be Danish. However, I also need to have the English keyboard installed...
  3. How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set default keyboard language to be different than default Windows language: This was no problem with Windows 10, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it in Windows 11. I want my Windows 11 language to be completely in English as default. But I need my keyboard by default to be Danish. However, I also need to have the English keyboard installed...
  4. No "set as default" option in Display Languages

in Windows 10 Customization
    No "set as default" option in Display Languages: [ATTACH] There is only english in preferred languages place. but There isnt any other language in Display Language part. well I see that my license can only support 1 display language.. I thought its only means my other windows accounts in laptop cant use different display...
  5. Can't set speech language

Can't set speech language: I can not add speech language in windows 10 settings watch these screenshots [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] so I need a answer for it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-speech-language/54444b43-d46c-4203-8463-619c622047c2
  6. Change default language from foreign in the foreign language Window setting

Change default language from foreign in the foreign language Window setting: I added language extensions yesterday. My system is now displaying a foreign language that I cannot read. I want to change the Default language, but I cannot execute the instructions because I cannot read page in the foreign language. Please help....
  7. Input language and keyboard language are different.How to set as default.

Input language and keyboard language are different.How to set as default.: I use English as a language, but living in Spain I use a Spanish keyboard. (Sometimes I write in Spanish) Every time I turn on my Surface I have to manually change the settings to ENG/ES - ENG being the input language and ES being the keyboard input. Every time, if I...
  8. default language

default language: How do I change default language in Office 2016? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-language/d8433cbe-e10e-4868-86cc-a683f310fdad
  9. Region settings: Unable to set default language!

in Windows 10 Support
    Region settings: Unable to set default language!: Hi, I get this error when setting my Region settings to English/Netherlands and restart Windows 10. Error : "Unable to set default language !" When I put it back to English/US then all is ok. How can I get my Regio settings to English/Netherlands, which Windows itself...
  10. How to set up a default language?

How to set up a default language?: How to set up a default language? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/how-to-set-up-a-default-language/a3f6006b-6a15-4696-85d6-d97e9e87bd3f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant set language as default

2. i cant set english as default