Windows 10: I changed my windows username, password stopped working

Discus and support I changed my windows username, password stopped working in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I changed my username on Windows 10, and after a while I logged out. Then when I try to log back, it asks for password, but my old password doesnt... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by sirtus, Aug 19, 2015.

1. sirtus Win User

I changed my windows username, password stopped working

I changed my username on Windows 10, and after a while I logged out. Then when I try to log back, it asks for password, but my old password doesnt work. I also tried putting blank password (not writing anything) but that doesn't work either.

How can I return to using my computer?

:)

sirtus, Aug 19, 2015
  2. ridr Win User

Pocket msn does not work

Mine stopped working again! I deleted saved password again AND clicked on 'change user' in pocket msn general settings, then re-entered my username and password and it seems to be working again...

3. iCloud email stopped working on WP8

Hi there,

yesterday my iCloud email box suddenly stopped synchronizing - I was notified the username or password was incorrect. I did not change it, verified its correctness by easily accessing the email box via my internet browser. It just stopped matchnig the username
    and password. I contacted Apple support, they verified that everything is fine with my iCloud account. Has anyone of you ever experienced such a problem?

Kind regards

BłażejGrochowski, Aug 19, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Hi sirtis and welcome to the forum. *Smile

Firstly, have you checked and confirmed that Capslock and Numlock are both correctly set when you are inputting your password?

WhyMe, Aug 19, 2015
  5. Victek Win User
    Try rebooting.

Victek, Aug 19, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Interesting.. and you didn't write down your new password??
    Q, How did you change your username?? Did you change the MSA account?

BunnyJ, Aug 19, 2015
  7. sirtus Win User
    I changed my username like in this guide: How To Change User Account Name In Windows 8 (Yeah I know it's for Windows 8, my mistake*Eek)
    Pressed Windows+R, typed netplwiz, changed my username, and next time I try to login my password doesnt work.

I was able to use system restore point (or whatever it's called in english) to restore computer to earlier state and it works now *Smile

sirtus, Aug 19, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Glad to hear this.

Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Aug 19, 2015
  9. Swifty Win User
    If your user doesn't own any EFS encrypted files, then you can use this approach:

• Create (or make sure you have) an administrator ID other than your own user.
    • Make sure you can logon to this ID (i.e. you know its' password)
    • Make the change to your username.
    • Logon as your other administrator
    • Go to "Control Panel" -> "User Accounts" (I don't know if Windows 10 has a "native" equivalent)
    • Manage another account
    • Click your username
    • Change the password.

If you have EFS encrypted files, and you go this route, then you'll no longer be able to access their content. I use an encrypting backup mechanism to backup my encrypted files to a file which is not EFS encrypted. If you adopt this approach, then make sure that you can recover files from the backup before changing your own username!

To see if you have encrypted files, issue the command: cipher /u /n

Swifty, Aug 21, 2015
  10. Robi Win User
    2 steps need to be followed :-

1) Change user name using "lusrmgr.msc" from run(win+R)
    2) After restart or shutdown, when login problems occur, use "netplwiz" and toggle using sign in and save.

That's it. I have followed,basically,invented this measure and reaping the rewards *Biggrin

Thema:

1. I changed my windows username, password stopped working - Similar Threads - changed username password

2. How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?: I've been trying to connect to a VPN that I recently downloaded, but whenever I try to do so, this sign-in message keeps popping up. I quite literally have zero clue what my user or password is because I've tried everything it could possibly be. It's been over an hour of me...
  3. How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?: I've been trying to connect to a VPN that I recently downloaded, but whenever I try to do so, this sign-in message keeps popping up. I quite literally have zero clue what my user or password is because I've tried everything it could possibly be. It's been over an hour of me...
  4. How Do I Go About Changing My Windows Username/Password?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Changing username in netplwiz broke my password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing username in netplwiz broke my password: Hi,I just used netplwiz to change my username. After doing so, I log out and went back to see if the change was visible. At that point I see on the lock screen that it still displays the old username. Strange. I type my password to log in and keep going, and ... "the password...
  6. usernames and passwords

in Windows 10 Customization
    usernames and passwords: how do i access all my usernames and passwords. I had them written down but lost them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usernames-and-passwords/62585e2c-7c94-4fa2-98fe-5755f3f02907
  7. Microsoft site changed my username and password - recovery?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft site changed my username and password - recovery?: I have several computers and a Office 365 home subscription that allows me to use Office on 6 pcs. I have 365 installed on 3 computers, and was trying to install it on my wife's computer. Let's say my wife's user name was "Sally". When I logged into my Online Account (for...
  8. uac username and password not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    uac username and password not working: Hello I have windows 10 professional version 1909 installed on my computer. The computer is not connected to a domain. I would like to make the uac prompt for credentials for my administrator account with the username and password. I had this setup before with windows 10...
  9. Windows Security Username and Password not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security Username and Password not working: I am trying to install Adobe Creative Cloud, which I am supposed to get for free through my university. When I attempt to login, a window pops up called "Windows Security" and asks for my user name and password. I've tried to get past this at least 15 times now with my...
  10. my password stopped working

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    my password stopped working: Hello all. Last night my password into my windows 10 (upgrade from 8.1 so I have no disk). I'm the only account other than the ones created by the system. It keeps telling me my password I'm entering is wrong. It's been the same password since I bought the machine. It...