Windows 10: I changed the name of my computer & all I have in it is the users file

Discus and support I changed the name of my computer & all I have in it is the users file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am having some problems after changing my laptop's name. I changed it under System in the Control Panel. The only folder in it is the users folder.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mkj307, Mar 22, 2016.

1. mkj307 Win User

I changed the name of my computer & all I have in it is the users file

I am having some problems after changing my laptop's name. I changed it under System in the Control Panel. The only folder in it is the users folder. My user name is incorrect & I have several NTUSER.DAT files under my user name. Where are all of my files under my computer name? Everything is still under my C: drive. I'm having a problem using the Homegroup now too. Anyone that can tell me how to fix this & my user name. I tried changing it with netplwiz but it didn't change it under users folder.

This is my laptop info:
    TOSHIBA LAPTOP SPECS

SYSTEM MODEL
    Toshiba Satellite L775D PSK4OU-OOGOOP

OPERATING SYSTEM
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1511 Build 10586.71 IE Version 11.63.10586.0CO
    Chrome Version 48.0.2564.103 m
    Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI
    Secure boot not supported

MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD
    Board: Pegatron Corporation TKBSS 1.50
    Bus Clock: 100 MHz
    UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 1.50 10/18/2011

PROCESSOR
    1.40 Gigahertz AMD A6-34OOM APU with Radeon HD graphics
    Graphics Chipset:AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G
    512 KB primary memory cache
    4096 secondary memory cache
    64=bit ready
    BIOS Version:012.043.000.001
    BIOS Part Number:BR40547.bin
    BIOS Date:04/07/2011

DRIVES
    HGST 1Tb hard drive, 7200 RPM, Advanced Format
    P/N H2T100032725 SATA 6 0Gb/s FW: 350
    HL-DT=ST BDDVDRW CT31F Optical Drive
    PCI to USB host controller 3x
    Standard open HCD USB host Controller 3x

MEMORY
    8 GB RAM
    LOCAL DRIVE VOLUMES
    C: NTSF

CONTROLLERS
    ATA Channel 0
    ATA Channel 1
    Standard dual channel PCI IDE Controller
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller

BUS ADAPTERS
    MS Storage spaces controller.
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
    DISPLAY
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G Display Adapter
    Generic PnP monitor 17.1” vis.

MULTIMEDIA
    AMD HD Audio Device
    Realtek HD Audio
    Microphone Realtek HD Audio
    Speakers Realtek HD Audio
    Toshiba Web Camera – MP

OTHER DEVICES
    MS AC Adapter
    MS ACPI -Compliant Control Method Battery
    HID-Compliant Consumer Control Device 2x
    HID-Compliant Wireless Radio Controls
    Toshiba Hotkey Driver
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad Mouse
    Send to OneNote 2010
    MS Device Association Root Enumerator
    MS GS Wavetable Synth
    MS IPv4 IPv6 Transition Adapter Bus
    MS Radio Device Enumeration Bus
    MS RRAS Root Enumerator
    USB Composite Device
    USB Root Hub 6x
    Generic Volume Shadow Copy

WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION
    Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802
    Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface

PRINTERS
    HP Envy 100 All-in-One D410 Series
    HP Officejet Pro 8600 All-in-One

ANTI-VIRIS PROTECTION
    Windows Firewall & Defender

:)

mkj307, Mar 22, 2016
  2. RoyRhino Win User

Why is the computer all of a sudden saying I have no default email program associated?

All of a sudden the computer is giving me the attached error when I log on each day. I have checked and I have Live Mail associated. The computer does not recognize it or any other email I select. Why? See attached Screenshot.

Roy Rhino
    I changed the name of my computer & all I have in it is the users file [​IMG]

RoyRhino, Mar 22, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How do I changed the name on an album I have ripped to my computer

Hi Disgruntled Ange,

Go into your Music Folder

On the View Ribbon, click Details Pane

Select all the Songs in the Album

In the Details Pane, type the Artist and Album Name and click Apply

DaveM121, Mar 22, 2016
  4. I changed the name of my computer & all I have in it is the users file

Before you changed the name of your laptop did you do a system restore point
    Or do a backup
    If you have a Restore point before you changed your laptop name you should be able to roll back
    Hopefully you will then be able to get your files/folders back

System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

hTconeM9user, Mar 22, 2016
  5. mkj307 Win User
    Yes, I have a restore point but it will roll back to the old name won't it? It's something weird the computer made up.

mkj307, Mar 22, 2016
  6. Yes but then you should be able to then get your files and folders you want to retrieve

hTconeM9user, Mar 22, 2016
  7. I've changed the Computer Name many times with no side affects. Exactly for the reason you mention. Now Windows gives it a weird name during install with no option to change it during setup? Then I go to System > Advanced system settings to set what I want it to be. I've never lost any user files in the process though? My User name under C:\Users is Kerry, which is just the first 5 characters of my Microsoft ID. Yours may be the same. Depending on what your Microsoft ID is, it could end up being weird? Changing your username will not rename the C:\Users folder. It will change everywhere else in Windows but the actual folder name will not change. You would have to create a new user (new folder) to do that.

alphanumeric, Mar 22, 2016
  8. mkj307 Win User

Create a new user or new folder?

mkj307, Mar 22, 2016
  9. To create a new user folder you need to create a new user. If you set it up as a local account instead of a Microsoft ID, you can name it anything you want. Then switch to a Microsoft ID and the folder name will stay what it was.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I changed the name of my computer & all I have in it is the users file - Similar Threads - changed name computer

2. I can't change my user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change my user name: I'm the administrator for my PC and yet when I go to "User Accounts" and select my profile there is nothing in the place that should read "Change User Name." I can't change my user name on this PC. It's set on "User" after reinstalling Windows and it shows my Microsoft...
  3. I can't change my user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't change my user name: I'm the administrator for my PC and yet when I go to "User Accounts" and select my profile there is nothing in the place that should read "Change User Name." I can't change my user name on this PC. It's set on "User" after reinstalling Windows and it shows my Microsoft...
  4. I need to change the name of my User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to change the name of my User: I need to change this address C:\Users\AðalheiðurIt has Icelandic letters in it that a program I have on my computer and use everyday can't work with. How can I change it without having to make a new User? I want to use the same one, but with a different name. I have tried...
  5. I need to change the name of my User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to change the name of my User: I need to change this address C:\Users\AðalheiðurIt has Icelandic letters in it that a program I have on my computer and use everyday can't work with. How can I change it without having to make a new User? I want to use the same one, but with a different name. I have tried...
  6. I changed my user account name but in C drive under user name it hasn't changed and all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed my user account name but in C drive under user name it hasn't changed and all...: I changed my user user accounts name in start up has been change but when I go to my this pc On C drive user and open the user account still shows the old user name . My pc runs on windows 11 Please give a advise Thanks...
  7. I changed my user account name but in C drive under user name it hasn't changed and all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I changed my user account name but in C drive under user name it hasn't changed and all...: I changed my user user accounts name in start up has been change but when I go to my this pc On C drive user and open the user account still shows the old user name . My pc runs on windows 11 Please give a advise Thanks...
  8. I changed my user folder name

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I changed my user folder name: I thought I hadn't changed any important file names but when I try to open my explorer folder i get "no mapping between account names and security ids" I was trying a method that included typing "RSOP.msc " into the run but then it said "windows cannot find rsop.msc...
  9. I can't change my user name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't change my user name: [ATTACH]I've tried many things to change it but the name is unable to be renamed which I'm looking to change I should also add this is for the C:\users folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-change-my-user-name/82cec765-5f68-44fc-9a59-49357f341167"
  10. My computer USERS file name has changed names and the files in it have nothing in them.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My computer USERS file name has changed names and the files in it have nothing in them.: Some how today, under C:/Users my computer used to be called 'mrspa', but now it says 'defaultuser0' and almost nothing is in the file folders listed under this new named folder and 'mrspa' is no where to be found. How do I get it back to 'mrspa' with all the normal files...