Windows 10: I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal

Discus and support I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, so i'm running B10074 on my laptop , and I connected my external display to it as well as my external keyboard and mouse at my desk so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Maltesespace, May 2, 2015.

1. I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal

Hey guys, so i'm running B10074 on my laptop , and I connected my external display to it as well as my external keyboard and mouse at my desk so I could sit there and do the setup etc without moving all of that out of the way. I had the laptop lid shut and off to the side while I was doing this. Then, I shut the laptop down, unplugged all the external peripherals, and turned it on again. It went through the windows boot sequence with the spinning circles, then black screen. After 20 minutes of frustration, I realised that the laptop would show a login prompt only when I plug in the external monitor BEFORE i start it, and only if the laptop is closed while it is booting (when the lid is closed during boot, the Dell logo and spinning circles come up on the external display)

I further figured out that in Control Panel, it only displays the external display, its like the computer doesn't even recognise the internal display anymore. I dont know why that would be since when I first booted it up and installed drivers, I was using the internal display and everything was working fine.
    Any help appreciated as well as pointers on not running into this again *chuckle

:)

Maltesespace, May 2, 2015

2. Have Windows 10 with NVidia Quadro K3100M and intel integrated video cards in mobile workstation - had 3 monitors now only 2

How do I get windows 10 pro to recognise the two external monitors as well as the integrated display , one is connected to the HDMI (wired internally to the K3100M Card) and the other to the VGA (wired internally to the intel Card)

The Internal screen seems to be wired via the Intel Card.

Have latest Drivers installed.

Note Worked perfectly well with Windows 7 Pro

ps Use the laptop on the road so can't disable intel graphics as that would Kill Battery Life also need the vga port.

I don't have any display port displays but have this port on the K3100M as well so I should be able to run 3 external monitors.

Also can have both adaptors running at same time so that not the problem, but if connect vga display when the HDMI one is running , then widows switches the external display to the vga (intel port) and switches the HDMI off.

NVidia Control panel shows that it knows about the HDMI display but windows ignoring it

David_s_k21, May 2, 2015
  3. Problem in Ejecting USB Hard drive having windows backup

I recently made a windows 10 backup file in my 1TB Transcend USB hard drive. but now every time when i connect my hard with laptop it continues working and never ejects safely. I have disabled my auto backup option. It displays following message

"This device is currently in use, Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, And then try again".

How can i eject my Hard Drive safely?

If i will make backup in my internal hard drive then backup could make internal hard busy as it doing external one?

Waqar Amin, May 2, 2015
  4. I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal

Control Panel screenshot *Smile
    I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal [​IMG]
    (normally this would have display '1' and '2')

5. Berton Win User
    Notebooks/Laptops with the external VGA port [or DVI maybe HDMI] have an Fn + Fx key to toggle between the LCD panel, the external monitor or both at the same time. sometimes the fx key will be marked with a couple of squares. Have to experiment to see which works for you. It's in the User Manual.

Berton, May 2, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    Notebooks/Laptops with the external VGA port [or DVI maybe HDMI] have an Fn + Fx key to toggle between the LCD panel, the external monitor or both at the same time. sometimes the fx key will be marked with a couple of squares. Have to experiment to see which works for you. It's in the User Manual, can't tell you more as the Notebook's Model Name and Model Number aren't listed.

Berton, May 2, 2015
  7. I'll give that a go, Fn+F8 was suggested elsewhere, didn't work, but didn't try any other fn keys. Will try it

8. I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal

No-Go on that *Sad
    Thanks anyway though *Smile

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7548 (2015 edition)

Specs are in my spec button thingy on here.

The monitor is connected via HDMI, there is also a minidisplay port i believe but I do not have an adaptor for that.

9. If its the same as my Dell Inspiron (2013 Model), try Fn+F1

It sounds like it is set to the last option from this (external only), I have my tv connected via HDMI, and Fn +F1 toggles between, Laptop Only, Duplicate, Extend, 2nd Screen Only

paulsalter, May 2, 2015
  10. I gave that a go, no dice.... You are correct that is how I have set up , the "Second screen only" so it turns off the laptop display. I think the issue comes when I restart the PC with this configuration still applied. I've learnt my lesson Lol... But what you and others are implying is that the internal display is still recognised by the OS, which it is not. If it was, in my control panel, I would see 2 displays, "1" being the laptop display, "2" being the external. But now I only see "1" the exernal display with no mention of the internal anywhere. Even when I boot up, the Dell logo and spinning circles show up on my external monitor NOT the internal display.

I guess this is good because I have found a bug, many bugs actually, in my struggles of getting windows 10 running on my PC, namely this and then the display driver. Seems like there are bugs in the way it handles displays. Normally when the laptop is running Win8.1 or Win7 i can have the external display set up no problems in the same manner I do, and as soon as I disconnect it, the "second screen only" setting does not apply because there is no second screen, so it goes back to the first one. Then when I plug in the external monitor, it goes to that screen and nothing displays on the internal.

11. badrobot Win User
    What model of graphics card it came with? AMD Radeon R7 M270?

badrobot, May 2, 2015
  12. Yeah Its a dual graphics... The Intel HD 5500 and the R7 M270. Both drivers are installed

13. badrobot Win User

I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal

It's supposed to support dual monitors but you have to disable something? Read below from this site.

I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal [​IMG]

And here's a random "how-to" I found but not sure if it will work for you: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...enduro.680797/

badrobot, May 2, 2015
  14. Sorry, nothing there either... Oh well. I'm going to cut my losses and reinstall at this point.

Maltesespace, May 3, 2015
  15. Well, upon a reinstall and some tinkering, i've got to the bottom of it (or so I think)

Even though I installed a modded Intel driver for my display, once I connect to the internet, Windows Update still tries to install its broken driver. Turns out the broken driver just doesn't support my laptop's *internal* display, and if I connect an external monitor BEFORE i boot up, then make sure the lid is CLOSED while booting up (the issue I was having in this thread) , the broken driver will display through my monitor, but since it doesn't support the internal display of my specific laptop, it doesn't detect it, therefore why my control panel only saw the external monitor.

SO the solution to both my issues is

-When first boot is completed do NOT connect to the internet
    -Reboot in test mode and install modded driver
    -Reboot and connect to internet
    -Let windows update install the broken driver
    -Connect an external display, reboot the laptop and make sure the lid is shut before the OS boots so your display feed comes through the external display
    -Reboot into test mode
    -Install modded driver (again)
    -Reboot

So far Windows Update hasn't tried to install its graphics driver again. Lets hope. Unfortunately you can only fix this issue if you have access to an external display.

Hope this helps someone

Maltesespace, May 4, 2015
Thema:

I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal

1. I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal - Similar Threads - connected external display

2. Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...: So I wanted to use a different Boot device with my laptop than the internal without opening it up, so I connect my SSD to my SATA to USB adapter, turned it on, switched to USB boot on the Boot manager by pressing f12 repeatedly and it Worked!! But when I wanted to use the...
  3. Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...: So I wanted to use a different Boot device with my laptop than the internal without opening it up, so I connect my SSD to my SATA to USB adapter, turned it on, switched to USB boot on the Boot manager by pressing f12 repeatedly and it Worked!! But when I wanted to use the...
  4. My laptop internal display is connected to "Microsoft basic display adapter" and I cannot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop internal display is connected to "Microsoft basic display adapter" and I cannot...: gpu: nvidia geforce GTX 1060 / 6gbcpu: intel i7-6700HQI have tried every possible solution I could find but none have worked. One interesting thing is that when I plug my computer into a monitor via hdmi then it will use my nvidia gpu and run much better.so in the advanced...
  5. My laptop internal display is connected to "Microsoft basic display adapter" and I cannot...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop internal display is connected to "Microsoft basic display adapter" and I cannot...: gpu: nvidia geforce GTX 1060 / 6gbcpu: intel i7-6700HQI have tried every possible solution I could find but none have worked. One interesting thing is that when I plug my computer into a monitor via hdmi then it will use my nvidia gpu and run much better.so in the advanced...
  6. My laptop internal display is connected to "Microsoft basic display adapter" and I cannot...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Internal external Mic on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Internal external Mic on my Laptop: I have a headset I use for my PS4 that I want to use for my laptop. My problem comes from the fact that my laptop microphone is the only input device and I would rather it be the mic. What can I do? Can I install another driver to recognize mics jacked in? Am I stuck with...
  8. My system is choppy since I connected it to this 120Hz external display (my laptops is...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My system is choppy since I connected it to this 120Hz external display (my laptops is...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/_Huggo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fj95hw/my_system_is_choppy_since_i_connected_it_to_this/
  9. Connect No Display Laptop to external display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Connect No Display Laptop to external display: My Toshiba running laptop has display problem since the update of display driver. There were blue vertical lines on screen but now when I turn on the laptop, there's a black screen. I want to connect my laptop to my BRAVIA TV using HDMI cable. But there shows no signal and as...
  10. Business Laptop User connecting by Internal OR External networks.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Business Laptop User connecting by Internal OR External networks.: I work for a small firm with no real IT support. I recently started the move from a desktop Win 7 machine to a new Win 10 Pro Laptop. Aside from the typical pains of moving this and that over, I now have a new issue. My office has a Network Drive that provides two drives to...