Windows 10: I don't get the purpose of the Add a Desktop function?

Discus and support I don't get the purpose of the Add a Desktop function? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi What is the use for the add a desktop thing. If you open another application you get another windows anyway so why open a copy of the desktop?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeHawthorne, Oct 10, 2014.

1. I don't get the purpose of the Add a Desktop function?

Hi

What is the use for the add a desktop thing.

If you open another application you get another windows anyway so why open a copy of the desktop?

I just don't get how you are supposed to use it.

Mike

:)

MikeHawthorne, Oct 10, 2014

2. What is the purpose of the boxes on the desktop icons?

Care to upload a screenshot of them>

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 10, 2014
  3. What is the purpose of the boxes on the desktop icons?

On most machines there is a print screen button on the top row (right side)>click it. Then right click the desktop and click new bitmap. double click on the new bitmap and then hit control +"V" to paste the screen shot into the bitmap. Save it.

Use the "insert imgage" button (see snip) and upload it.

I don't get the purpose of the Add a Desktop function? [​IMG]

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 10, 2014
  4. Mystere Win User

I don't get the purpose of the Add a Desktop function?

I don't get what you mean by "you get another windows anyway"

Mystere, Oct 10, 2014
  5. davehc Win User
    I sympathise Mike.
    I think what Mike means is, that as we can now, in Windows X have windowed applications on out desktop, what is the extra purpose of "multi" desktops.

davehc, Oct 10, 2014
  6. Mystere Win User
    Still not following the logic here... what does having windowed applications have to do with virtual desktops?

Mystere, Oct 10, 2014
  7. One purpose (for those without multiple monitors) is to eliminate the sea of "open window" buttons if you open a lot of files/programs.

The Linux ones only show the "open window" buttons of programs on the current virtual desktop.

"VirtuaWin + KvasdoPager" mostly succeeds in this (on my W7 install).
    Certain programs like VMware and Process Explorer appear on all desktops (unless minimised).
    Strangely enough, their "open window" buttons don't.

I haven't played with the W10 virtual desktops (yet) but comments seem to indicate that they don't help with the sea of "open window" buttons issue.

Another example would be, if you are building a website you can have:
    • Your IDE and help docs open on one desktop
    • Photoshop and File Explorer open on a second desktop
    • Audacity and File Explorer open on a third desktop
    • Multiple browsers open on a fourth desktop
    I used to use multiple desktops when I was completing exercises for my Networking course.

lehnerus2000, Oct 10, 2014
  8. LMiller7 Win User

The ability to have multiple desktops is quite convenient. Having multiple windows on the desktop works well, until the numbers become too great. With multiple desktops you have more desktop space. You can open different applications on different desktops organized however you wish. You can easily switch between desktops as needed.

I first saw the feature in Linux some 14 years and found it quite useful. Windows has had third party utilities to provide this feature for many years but Windows 10 is the first Windows OS to do this natively.

I find the feature useful. Many do not. If you don't see the need then don't use it.

Edit: I have only limited experience with multiple desktops in Windows 10 but have used VirtuaWin in Windows 7 for some time. The implementation in Windows 10 may change as Microsoft receives feedback.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I don't get the purpose of the Add a Desktop function? - Similar Threads - don't purpose Add

2. Add right click show desktop functionality at task bar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add right click show desktop functionality at task bar.: Yes i know i can click on that tiny line on the right hand corner. Its small, awkward and annoying. Is there a method to add in the option; right click task bar -> show desktop. I don't want another shortcut on the task bar....
  3. Add right click show desktop functionality at task bar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add right click show desktop functionality at task bar.: Yes i know i can click on that tiny line on the right hand corner. Its small, awkward and annoying. Is there a method to add in the option; right click task bar -> show desktop. I don't want another shortcut on the task bar....
  4. "For Testing Purposes Only" on desktop screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "For Testing Purposes Only" on desktop screen: Previously tried all known online help tool tips for resolving the screen desktop which appears to show words of build character and phrase "for testing purposes only" and the words still appear on the screen. I disabled my secure boot and ran both commands to which the fix...
  5. "For Testing Purposes Only" on desktop screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "For Testing Purposes Only" on desktop screen: Previously tried all known online help tool tips for resolving the screen desktop which appears to show words of build character and phrase "for testing purposes only" and the words still appear on the screen. I disabled my secure boot and ran both commands to which the fix...
  6. "For Testing Purposes Only" on desktop screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. add appointment function not working on desktop version of windows 10

add appointment function not working on desktop version of windows 10: I would like to 'add an appointment' from the date/clock on taskbar of Windows 10. For some reason this feature works on my laptop but not on my desktop. What do I need to do to get it working on my desktop?...
  8. I don't get most desktop notifications anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I don't get most desktop notifications anymore: I get mail/calendar notifications, but I no longer get desktop notifications from my phone or google chrome. I've checked that the notifications are enabled, chrome notifications are and so are the phone companion notifications. submitted by /u/Wilddog73 [link]...
  9. Windows functions don't work

Windows functions don't work: Hi, when I click at my windows icon, search icon, callendar, right bottom corner to see pulpit etc. it doesn't work. Here is a gif with whole situation https://gyazo.com/5bc3ec8001bd0756cd75e23c8a969245 I tried sfc /scannow but it crashes at 43%....
  10. Multiple Desktops - not as expected, do I not understand purpose?

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Desktops - not as expected, do I not understand purpose?: To me, the desktop is the area of the screen above the taskbar. So when I saw "multiple virtual desktops", I envisioned screens with alternate layouts of icons - like one used if I was working with icons for financial progs and another with icons for video progs. Alas, this...