Windows 10: I don't want version 1607

Discus and support I don't want version 1607 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm on Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 Build 10586.839. I'd like to keep using Version 1511. I keep getting pushed to install Version 1607. Is there some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by abacus, Apr 7, 2017.

1. abacus Win User

I don't want version 1607

I'm on Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 Build 10586.839. I'd like to keep using Version 1511. I keep getting pushed to install Version 1607. Is there some way I can stay with 1511 and not get the frequent pushes to update to 1607?

Thanks for any information.

:)

abacus, Apr 7, 2017
  2. loiquan Win User

retrieve to version 1607 from 1709

Hi Greg,

I contacted HP supports before I wrote this email and they referred to Microsoft. This is a brand new HP laptop and i just want its windows 10 back to version 1607 from 1709 as currently updated. I just want a smooth restore to its previous version and i
    don't want a clean install because i don't have any disk. Could you somehow have some way to restore back to version 1607 without any clean install? Thanks.

Loi

loiquan, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Mikki78 Win User
    Stop Windows 10 Version Upgrade to 1709 push

Hello, deleting the executable did not work. Please stop forcing this version upgrade. I don't want 1709. It does not function properly on mt laptop. My 1607 version is still supported.

Mikki78, Apr 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

If you have '10 Pro, use the Defer feature updates setting.

You can disable Windows updates altogether by various means, but if using Defender you would need to set up a scheduled task to keep it updated (you can search the forum for a thread on that).

You can set updates to notify only (e.g. using Winaero's free tweaker).

You can set your connection (Wifi and ethernet) to metered.

You can search the tutorial section e.g.
    Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

dalchina, Apr 7, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    I don't think you can delay it forever. Technically you could but 1511 will stop getting security updates at some point.

1507 will stop getting updates in May. Windows 10 v1607 media now available Windows for IT Pros

1511 will stop getting updates at some point also (perhaps 60 days after version 1703 goes to CBB unless they delay it again).

lx07, Apr 7, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Why not run it as a Virtual Machine --then you can keep using it until the end of the universe !!!!!

I'm not sure why you don't want later versions - but if it's because you want to run older legacy software then the VM way is perfect to do it.

Here's a W98 VM and an XP VM both running with vmware

I don't want version 1607 [​IMG]

I don't want version 1607 [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 7, 2017
  7. abacus Win User
    Thanks for all replies. I'm currently on 1511 10586.842 and have decided it's best for me to go to the latest build of 1607, but not to the Creator's Edition 1703.

So how can I easily go to 1607 at this point? It is not showing up as an available update now.

abacus, Apr 8, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
  9. abacus Win User
    Thanks, NavyLCDR. I'm going to give that a try.

abacus, Apr 8, 2017
  10. anonjwm Win User
    Just from my experience, I did not like the anniversary update on my machine, it used to much of my resources at idle speeds, I went back to a May 2016 version of LTSB 2015.

But yes, you can stay if you don't want to update. Just simply disable the Windows Update Service, Update Orchestrator Service, and Windows Modules Installer.

I also disable all the Windows Update tasks in Task scheduler.

Now you may or may not want to do that depending on your needs. But for me, this does what I want. Since I am not concerned about security updates or any for that matter.

anonjwm, Apr 8, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Please note a good number experienced problems with 1607, until it was updated over the following 3 months or so. I suggest:
    1. Create a disk image (Windows Backup) of what you have before you attempt the upgrade (Macrium Reflect (free) + external disk for the image file(s) ) + its boot medium.
    That gives you a second chance should things go wrong.

2. Upgrade and accept updates during the upgrade.

3. Before you upgrade, make sure you have at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk/partition and sufficient free space on C: for a spare copy of Windows (Windows.old) and working space in addition.

I've not experienced performance issues with it.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    How does this help?

Even in a VM, Windows will still try and upgrade unless OP deliberately blocks upgrades which will block all future updates even in AU version.

Besides, eventually, it will time-bomb out and not be usable anyway.

cereberus, Apr 8, 2017
  13. I don't want version 1607

The new Windows as a service is great in theory but sadly lacks capable developers, the quality of the work is shoddy at best, I spent on average 10 times more often troubleshooting and fixing Windows that ever before.

positronic, Apr 9, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    How many of the over 400 million devices running Windows 10 across 192 countries do you suppose have the same problem? I've got a dozen computers on my home network that run Windows 10 Home and Pro versions flawlessly. My "fixing" Windows consists of grabbing the next major upgrade ISO file and upgrading them manually every 6 months or so. Lots of other members here have the same experience.

NavyLCDR, Apr 9, 2017
  15. They run flawlessly skin deep, once you dig into Windows you start seeing the issues pop up, and no Im not alone, Im another of those millions suffering, driver installations alone ruin many experiences for many users because you are forced to consume whatever Microsoft deems to push down windows update and you cant stop them unless you know how.

Another great segment, testified by many posts on these boards and other boards across the internet are about broken windows updates where older poor quality updates prevent newer updates from installing, again many many people suffer from this, not just me or mine.

This of grabbing the iso and reinstalling windows every 6 months is absurd in this day and age, but often (I agree) the only way to get a decent Windows installation.

@NavyLCDR its not ideal to have re-installations every 6 months, and that cant be considered anything but a band-aid on a bigger issue.

Hardly surprising people want to avoid upgrading *Wink

And BTW Im agreeing with you, if it wasnt obvious in between my rant *Wink My last Windows 7 Install is running perfectly for 6,8 years. My Linux Installs are some 15 years old, and all upgrade just fine and work near flawlessness, as no such thing as bug free exists..

positronic, Apr 9, 2017
Thema:

1. I don't want version 1607 - Similar Threads - don't version 1607

2. I don't want Skype for Business

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I don't want Skype for Business: Since my Windows 10 desktop computer is a home computer, I do I uninstall Skype for Business? I uninstalled the regular Skype software shortly after I started using my new HP Desktop that came with Windows 10 pre-installed. Office was not included with Windows 10, so I...
  3. onedrive. don't want it but i want my desktop back...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    onedrive. don't want it but i want my desktop back...: Got a new pc and one drive immediately started throwing my files there and filled itself up and started asking me if I wanted to buy more. NO! Thought I stopped this thing from syncing and deleted the app. By my digital audio workstation seems to have defaulted to storing...
  4. I don't want Edge to save passwords

in Windows 10 Customization
    I don't want Edge to save passwords: Sometimes Edge will ask me if I want it to save passwords - I don't want that. I went to this site "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468242/microsoft-edge-browsing-data-and-privacy-microsoft-privacy" and got these instructions: "To stop features that speed up web...
  5. No, I don't want to restart and update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No, I don't want to restart and update.: I got home today to find my computer stuck on an update that i did not schedule. It did 30% in an hour. Luckly it restarted and i was able to boot Linux, so I can at least get some work done, but I am LIVID. I just wasted an hour of my time. Am i not allowed to have control...
  6. I don't want to reinstall Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I don't want to reinstall Win 10: Sooo... I recently purchased a new motherboard for my PC and, as you guessed, I want to replace the old one with the new one on my PC. I've never really done this kind of thing before but I heard that replacing motherboard requires Windows reinstallation. Considering how...
  7. I don't want a start-up PIN.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I don't want a start-up PIN.: I don't want a start-up PIN. but suddenly my computer is asking me to set one up. I am running windows 10. How do I stop It? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/i-dont-want-a-start-up-pin/e7198451-52d4-4577-8181-f5f917f7b813"
  8. I don't want to have to log in.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I don't want to have to log in.: I am new to Win 10, I am the only person who uses my computer and I don't want to have to sign in. I recently registered for a Microsoft Account and found that I then had to log in. To make things easier I changed this to a Local Account log in but I don't really want to sign...
  9. I Don't Want to Auto Connect to Wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Don't Want to Auto Connect to Wifi: Every time I start my PC it auto connects to WiFi, I don't want this to happen. I have turned off "connect automatically when in range" and I have unchecked the box "connect automatically when this network is in range" from the wireless network properties but it still auto...
  10. Update to Version 1703 from 1607 wants accelerometerDLL.dll

in Windows 10 Support
    Update to Version 1703 from 1607 wants accelerometerDLL.dll: Windows just updated my HP Laptop to Version 1703 from 1607 and just after the update I got a screen shown in the attachment. The update is says, "The code execution cannot proceed because accelerometerdll.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." Is...