Windows 10: I got a nasty virus do i need to format the hard drive before resetting windows?

Discus and support I got a nasty virus do i need to format the hard drive before resetting windows? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was going to choose the remove everything option but people have suggested i format the hard drive first, this is something i'm not sure how to do.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alexmetters, Aug 7, 2018.

1. I got a nasty virus do i need to format the hard drive before resetting windows?

I was going to choose the remove everything option but people have suggested i format the hard drive first, this is something i'm not sure how to do. Also my computer doesn't have a disc tray so would it still be possible for me to put windows back on to the computer through the use of a usb stick?

I really would appreciate any help thanks everyone in advance.

:)

alexmetters, Aug 7, 2018
  2. little cat, Aug 7, 2018
  3. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Aug 7, 2018
  4. I got a nasty virus do i need to format the hard drive before resetting windows?

How to partially format a hard drive?

I just installed Windows 8 on my computer. I placed the files I wanted to keep on an external hard drive prior to the installation, that is fine. However, I though that the process would format the computer's hard drive, which it did not.

Is it possible to format my hard drive in order to keep only what is related to Windows 8?
    If not, can I format the whole thing and re-use the same Windows 8 key?

Thanks for your help

Gdn8Melbourne3, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

I got a nasty virus do i need to format the hard drive before resetting windows?

1. I got a nasty virus do i need to format the hard drive before resetting windows? - Similar Threads - got nasty virus

2. I managed to get a pretty nasty virus on my PC and need to reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I managed to get a pretty nasty virus on my PC and need to reset: This virus has locked down pretty much every feature that I need to obtain the license key that's already on my PC. It won't even let me out to the internet. It's also blocked all security features so I can't even run a virus scan. When I try to do a reset PC it says there...
  3. I managed to get a pretty nasty virus on my PC and need to reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I managed to get a pretty nasty virus on my PC and need to reset: This virus has locked down pretty much every feature that I need to obtain the license key that's already on my PC. It won't even let me out to the internet. It's also blocked all security features so I can't even run a virus scan. When I try to do a reset PC it says there...
  4. I managed to get a pretty nasty virus on my PC and need to reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I got a virus i need help with

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I got a virus i need help with: i think i have a virus on my laptop and i cant get rid of it, i downloaded steam and i think i did it off the wrong website somehow. any ideas? someone said to delete "PcAppStore" but when i tried it froze my laptop twice and the 3rd time it just disappeared, its still...
  6. I got a virus i need help with

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got a virus i need help with: i think i have a virus on my laptop and i cant get rid of it, i downloaded steam and i think i did it off the wrong website somehow. any ideas? someone said to delete "PcAppStore" but when i tried it froze my laptop twice and the 3rd time it just disappeared, its still...
  7. I got a virus i need help with

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How do I format my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I format my hard drive?: So I bought my desktop computer with an internal 1 tb hard drive and I recently got a ssd to make it faster but it has less storage so I wanted to use my hard drive as storage but when I boot from my ssd the hard drive doesnt show up so I was wondering how I would format...
  9. how do i format my hard drive?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how do i format my hard drive?: HOW DO I FORMAT MY HARD DRIVE? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-format-my-hard-drive/34520f10-5ae7-4dbf-aaf8-e80f1afdbff6"
  10. What do I need to know before resetting?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What do I need to know before resetting?: My W10 is running very slow. I tried all official suggestions and suggestions in threads that did not fix it. A reset seems to be my last option. Do I need to have an activation code and do I need installation media? Is there anything else I need to know that I'm not asking?...