Windows 10: I Got this Windows Vista HDD I need to fix the "Boot up" sequence for.

Discus and support I Got this Windows Vista HDD I need to fix the "Boot up" sequence for. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's in this weird Boot loop of "Repairing hard drive," or "Run as normal," that just reboots back to the beginning Bios Startup every single time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SotoPrior, Feb 20, 2018.

1. SotoPrior Win User

I Got this Windows Vista HDD I need to fix the "Boot up" sequence for.

It's in this weird Boot loop of "Repairing hard drive," or "Run as normal," that just reboots back to the beginning Bios Startup every single time, that I'm trying to fix up without reseting the data on it, so I can strenuously upgrade it manually to windows ten. (Yes the computer's hardware can handle it. I just need a ISO all in one that's "Capable," in repairing this boot loop, so I can have the data presented, in my opinion, more professionally for this client, then just drag and dropping in the User's profile manually.) Now this computer's internals have never been officially touched, so going by the sticker at t he front just saying "windows Vista," that's all I have OS wise to work with in terms of repair work. So yeah, any advice would help thanks.

:)

SotoPrior, Feb 20, 2018

2. windows 10 MBR error 1

Thank you Neil.

Scuzzy1965, Feb 20, 2018
  3. Changing the boot sequence on W 10

I am running a Dell computer which I upgraded from VISTA to Windows 7 and then to Windows 10. I would like to change the boot sequence. On booting there are a couple notes at the right bottom of the screen indicating "Press F2 to change settings" or
    "F12 to change boot sequence". Neither of these work. Is there another way to get into BIOS to change the boot sequence?

BobWilburn, Feb 20, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

To find out what's actually on the HDD, try booting from a Recovery Drive USB or Windows 10 install USB. Then use the advanced options to get a Command Prompt. You'll then be able to do a DIR on the HDD to see what files (and dates) it contains.

If you want a more graphical interface, try booting from a Linux Live USB, or for a Windows environment Kyhi's rescue disk: Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

5. SotoPrior Win User
    I'll do that in a bit, the important thing is that I can attempt to upgrade the OS safely without affecting the files. After all to be frank, I'm
    Not truly caring about restoring it to the Vista it supposedly originally was, I'm trying to see whether or not something like a windows 10 Bootable disk would be able to safely repair the HDD's OS. Windows 10's install disk should accomplish this right?

SotoPrior, Feb 20, 2018
  6. SotoPrior Win User
    So I've typed in DIR and all I'm getting is the DIR path for the boot drive X: itself, the C: drive I can open through explorer.exe, but otherwise I'm not seeing much.

SotoPrior, Feb 20, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    The X: drive is actually a virtual drive, loaded from the boot USB into RAM. The HDD will not be C:, it would have been assigned a different letter. C: is likely to be used for the USB you booted from. You'll have to try DIR for each possible drive letter until you find the HDD. It's likely to be the D: drive, but that's not guaranteed.

If you have problems identifying the letter to use, in the command prompt type DISKPART
    When you get the DISKPART prompt, type LIST VOLUME
    then type EXIT to leave DISKPART.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I Got this Windows Vista HDD I need to fix the "Boot up" sequence for. - Similar Threads - Got Vista HDD

2. HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence: I use Dell Inspiron 15 5559SATA 3 HDDDue to some physical issues my SATA/HDD Connector's Lid is damaged... So I can't connect my HDD there. So I decided to setup Caddy in my laptop.My laptop have SATA 3 Connection in Optical Drive so Keeping that in mind I ordered a Caddy...
  3. HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence: I use Dell Inspiron 15 5559SATA 3 HDDDue to some physical issues my SATA/HDD Connector's Lid is damaged... So I can't connect my HDD there. So I decided to setup Caddy in my laptop.My laptop have SATA 3 Connection in Optical Drive so Keeping that in mind I ordered a Caddy...
  4. HDD/SSD Not Showing in Boot Sequence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I need windows vista

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need windows vista: I want to try gaming from xp to 11 but i dont have a vista download https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-windows-vista/e6049314-be66-410e-8174-f815ae287a12
  6. I need windows vista

I need windows vista: I want to try gaming from xp to 11 but i dont have a vista download https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-windows-vista/e6049314-be66-410e-8174-f815ae287a12
  7. Boot sequence

Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  8. SSD and HDD boot sequence off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD boot sequence off: I have a peculiar problem. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It was running windows 10 as primary OS and Ubuntu as secondary with grub as boot manager. I got frequent BSODs so thought may be the HDD was dying so removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD and did a clean...
  9. SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong

SSD & HDD Boot Up Sequence Wrong: On Update 1803 it completely trashed my setup. I had windows 10 on my 500gb Crucial SSD and my original HDD was a storage drive. When I went to update to 1803 I was then informed that I didn't have enough space on my SSD to perform and update.... which was strange since...
  10. [Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot

[Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot: I was running Win10 and partitioned off 25gb for Vista because I needed older OS to run some software. Anyhow, now I'm not sure how the hell I boot back to my main partition, because the Vista partition as taken seniority over the main partition. So, Win10 partition is now...