Windows 10: I had to do clean install of win 10 so I d/l Anniversary Edition. Blah

Discus and support I had to do clean install of win 10 so I d/l Anniversary Edition. Blah in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; A picture is worth a thousand, trillion words. I'll be using them in this post. My start screen looks like friggin Windows 8!!! *Mad I was hacked a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hooked, Aug 17, 2016.

1. hooked Win User

I had to do clean install of win 10 so I d/l Anniversary Edition. Blah

A picture is worth a thousand, trillion words. I'll be using them in this post.
    My start screen looks like friggin Windows 8!!! *Mad

I was hacked a few weeks ago - my desktop and laptop. So I have been working with an Anti-Hacker forum and trying to clean up my data as much as possible, then had to format hard drive and clean install win 10. Man, that takes a very long time. We worked on my desktop for almost a month. It doesn't help that we were trying to cleanup 4GB of disk. Laptop is next.

I've not been having any pleasure time on either of my PCs since July 7,2016. *Sad So the last thing I want to do is try to redesign my start screen.
    I'm using the enterprise edition of 10 Pro, but I seriously doubt that's going to effect the cosmetics. But I really, really want to start using my PC again for fun and productive things. I honestly don't recall windows 10 EVER looking like this... Anyway, not Win 10 Pro - which is what I'm running.

Who can tell me a magic button to push to get the 'normal' windows 10 start screen back? Remember? Where you click on the Start/Windows key, and some bars display right there, you click on them, and voila - All your installed programs appear? *Biggrin

Thanks all for any help.

And sorry I'm so bitchy. BTW, when they hacked my two PCs, they also cracked my password to my bank and got $1,350 from me. So I am just a wee bit grumpy. I didn't need windows 10 to pull this.

:)

hooked, Aug 17, 2016

2. cumulative updates all fail to install

Thanks but I tried that too. It fixed some things but still the same result with the cumulative update. Updates install up to 7% and then say "couldn't install updates, blah blah blah, undoing changes blah blah blah." This problem clearly has nothing
    to do with my computer and everything to do with some failure on the part of Windows. I had no significant problems with Win 8 or 8.1 and have had nothing but problems with Win 10. Seems like Microsoft is begging many of us to switch operating systems.

ChrisCambron, Aug 17, 2016
  3. joeoneVO Win User
    win 10-backup

I did not install win on the back up as I had a neighbor[ I.T. guy] who after I installed the Drive came over and installed Comodo for the back up. He has since been transferred to Georgia, and I did not create a sys image & he did not mention it.

Now when I d/l the "media creation tool" I do not get "run as Administrator". What I get is License terms>upgrade this pc now> and then it starts to d/l win 10. I tried twice but stopped the d/l , so here I am & by the way thanks again for the reply.

joeoneVO, Aug 17, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

I had to do clean install of win 10 so I d/l Anniversary Edition. Blah [​IMG]

Cliff S, Aug 17, 2016
  5. hooked Win User
    Thanks for the help Cliff, but it still isn't my old windows 10. Here are some pics to compare to.

My Blue arrow points to the Use Full size start screen - that's what I want cuz I don't like my tiles all squeezed together.

The next pic shows the good old Full Size Start screen. Look how much room. *chuckle And my green arrow points at the group of bars that are right above the Start button When/If you click said button.

The next screen shows how it used to look when you clicked on the start/windows key. See how all programs are nicely spaced apart?

See how roomy this is? And all these pics were taken on my laptop.

I appreciate your help, if I had to - I could live with it that way. But I'll probably just go back to PreAnniversary. And when the Anniversary rolls out, I'll have to see if I can uninstall it.

I have some other issues that are functional problems, and Windows doesn't even know how to fix them
    If it Ain't broke, Don't fix it!!

hooked, Aug 18, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Oh I see what you want now, yeah they did change the format.
    Personally for a full screen start menu, I really like the one on Windows 8.1 update(still have it, in a virtual machine).
    The side to side scrolling was better(to me) then the up & down, and it used all the menu space.

Cliff S, Aug 18, 2016
  7. hooked Win User
    Aha!!! So you're the reason they changed it.... *Think

To each his own. I do see your point, now that you mention it. But I'm still either going to gripe about it or go back to an older version. I'm waiting to hear back from Msft on a functionality problem, and if I don't get an answer today - I will be doing a reinstall of older version.

TTYL

hooked, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I had to do clean install of win 10 so I d/l Anniversary Edition. Blah - Similar Threads - clean install Anniversary

2. I think I solved my problem.. I think…. Windows ten failure to install blah blah fixed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think I solved my problem.. I think…. Windows ten failure to install blah blah fixed...: What command am I supposed to put now at the very bottom to get the computer to run/load/turn on and be usable like normal? I mean specifically at the bottom after “all rights reserved” and of course following the very last C:\> ?...
  3. Anyway of directly downloading Win 10 Anniversary Edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anyway of directly downloading Win 10 Anniversary Edition: The Forum post of how to use media creation tool no longer gives option of downloading Creator vs. Anniversary edition upgrade. I need the Anniversary build for Adobe Dimensions install....
  4. Windows 10 Anniversary CLEAN install: a nightmare!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary CLEAN install: a nightmare!: I'll try to keep it short. I did a clean install of Windows 10 anniversary on a new SSD 240 GB and all the drive detached. I did it 3 time and now it's 10 days I'm working on it to have an working OS. The actual problems are: 1) keep freezing both file explorer and Chrome...
  5. since d/l Win 10 ... no Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    since d/l Win 10 ... no Internet: After using Windows 7 for years, I was finally convinced to d/l Win 10. On my main computer, (this one) all is well now; initially Win 10 could not d/l updates, but I got that sorted. However my second conputer (Gigiabyte GA H61M S2PV, 4Gbram, i3 2nd gen processor) has not...
  6. How do I clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

How do I clean install Windows 10 Anniversary Update?: First of all, I'm coming from Windows 7. I'm one that was able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Am I able to perform a clean install of Windows 10 using the same license I currently have on Windows 10? How would I obtain my current key, then? Is it s imply the Product ID...
  7. Anniversary Win 10 Clean Install off MCT

Anniversary Win 10 Clean Install off MCT: I just did a clean install of 10 1607 & just a question if this normal I just used my 1 tb drive raw unformatted & select custom install means clean i assume it formatted & worked after install but when i go to disk management I do not see any hidden partitions was all in...
  8. Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?: As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey. 40889
  9. Win 10 had a problem so I did a recovery.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 had a problem so I did a recovery.: I was sent back to my Windows 7 original OS. I made a back up DVD. Now I need to access the backup files but can't. I figured I could reinstall my Windows 10 upgrade and access the files. I can't find out how to reinstall Win 10. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 17334
  10. Clean Install Windows 10 Anniversary

Clean Install Windows 10 Anniversary: Hiya....Has the Media Creation tool been updated to this version so I can do a clean install...there is no way of telling? TIA 60042