Windows 10: I HATE AMD - Handbrake causes CPU overheat and computer shutdown - AMD

Discus and support I HATE AMD - Handbrake causes CPU overheat and computer shutdown - AMD in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi there I notice on Windows 10 (build 10240) if I run Handbrake to encode some video with all 4 cores enabled in the BIOS at boot after about 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

I HATE AMD - Handbrake causes CPU overheat and computer shutdown - AMD

Hi there

I notice on Windows 10 (build 10240) if I run Handbrake to encode some video with all 4 cores enabled in the BIOS at boot after about 10 mins computer just shuts down -- I think CPU overheats.

Switch one or two cores off and system works - although obviously slower to encode.

Resolution : I WILL NEVER EVER buy a computer with an AMD processor EVER AGAIN. !!! Never have this problem on Intel machines.

It's an AMD Phenom II X4 850 3.20 GHZ Quad processor -- old but should still be decent for this type of stuff.

This computer after I've stripped the HDD and memory sticks is destined for a ONE WAY trip to the TIP.

If I buy a new machine now - plenty of decent models out there now at reasonable prices -- you will get a FREE W10 upgrade so that's an inbuilt discount of around 120 GBP - 140 EUR for the computer anyway. !!!

Windows IS activated so it's not a NON activated version of Windows that is causing a shutdown. Case is well ventilated (the two sides are off anyway).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windoes Automatic drver update missing up my GPU and won't be disapled

Is it an AMD CPU? I just saw that the AMD computers were having troubles.

lacrumb, Jul 18, 2015
  3. Noiano Win User
    Hp dv6-6156sl, windows 10 and the amd graphics card

Windows update installs the latest drivers available. I've also tried to install the drivers from the amd website using their tools. Makes no difference at all ... I can barely use windows because the cpu overheats rather quickly and the fan makes a lot
    of noise....

Noiano, Jul 18, 2015
  4. I HATE AMD - Handbrake causes CPU overheat and computer shutdown - AMD

AMD Phenom II X4 980 3.7 GHz here. This is my gaming rig. I've never had any issues with overheating. Stock out of the box heat sink and fan too. Did it do this with Windows 8.1 too? Assuming you ran 8.1 on that PC in the past.

alphanumeric, Jul 18, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Ran W7, W8 and W8.1 on it at various times plus a load of concurrent VM's -- although never run Handbrake on it.

I've got a whole slew of DVD's to convert --first I de-regionalize and de-crypt them with AnyDVD -then use Handbrake to get the MKV conversion with correct audio and subtitles.

This has happened 7 times now so far so I know it's not just a one-off. I've got about 500 DVD's to convert !!!.

Poor old laptop with Intel i5 processor and external DVD drive is now doing this job !!! (no problems and laptop isn't getting hot either) -- it's not too bad as lack of CPU power is made up by the HDD's being full speed USB3 (external).

Oh well a trip to the City Tip on Mon morning --then to pick up a NEW system -- I might build one --haven't decided. I'll strip the HDD's and Memory sticks from the old machine. I'm looking now for an i7 system with a decent SSD for running the OS on.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  6. Don't you think it might be worth putting Windows 8 or 7 on it first, and see it the issue goes away?

7. BunnyJ New Member
    I've got an AMD A8-6600K and with a third party cooling unit it works just fine. In your case a Intel I5/I7 should do the trick.

And how much RAM and such do you have.. you really need to update the system specs.

BunnyJ, Jul 18, 2015
  8. I HATE AMD - Handbrake causes CPU overheat and computer shutdown - AMD

CountryBumkin, Jul 18, 2015
  9. May just need new thermal past applied or the cooling fan replaced.

10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It's worth getting a new Mobo --don't forget I can then get a FREE W10 update -- that's got to be worth around 120 - 150 USD so the cost of the Mobo plus CPU won't be anything significant.

I've got 16 GB RAM in the current Rig -- might get another 16 but for what I do shortage of RAM isn't a problem. I DO want NATIVE USB 3 ports though - proper NATIVE ones and enough SATA connectors.

I don't normally chuck stuff away until it's REALLY BUST -- but in this case I could also do with a better case etc --- I'll run this machine Headless and control it via a Laptop or even a Phone !!!. The old case is a Monster.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Great fist plan. A stock fan is usually not that good or worth the time using. Getting a aftermarket cooler is worth the money.. 30-50 is well spent, IMO.

And a good cleaning inside on a regular basis is a huge help,

BunnyJ, Jul 18, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

When Handbrake isn't running nothing seems strange here -- about par for the course.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Seems like it could just be a recourse hog.. ever try another tool??

BunnyJ, Jul 18, 2015
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    Microsoft generic chipset drivers can cause power problems like overheating - AMD are not the best chip firm to offer regular updates either, but an older suite of chipset drivers or just the correct inf files can better the Microsoft OOTB setup, or some Update foul-up.

Fafhrd, Jul 18, 2015
  15. I agree with this. I had a issue awhile back where my temps kept skyrocketing even with very minimal programs open and running. It turned out to be just this. So I tore apart the cpu; took the cpu fan off; re-applied fresh thermal paste and problem was solved. You have to apply fresh paste every so often especially after a very long period of time where it has not been refreshed because eventually the paste will start to degrade and dry up and get "crusty", etc which will lead to poor cooling. Granted yes I dont run amd because Ive heard not such good things about them in the past; so I have a i7 processor in mine; but still this can happen with any system if the paste goes bad.

Matt Siegel, Jul 18, 2015
Thema:

1. I HATE AMD - Handbrake causes CPU overheat and computer shutdown - AMD - Similar Threads - HATE AMD Handbrake

2. do i need amd radeon software for my amd cpu and second amd gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    do i need amd radeon software for my amd cpu and second amd gpu: my pc specs are cpu : amd ryzen 5600h and as gpu ı have 2 gpus main one is nvidia rtx 3060 and other is called amd radeon graphics i am already nvidia driver updater but do i need the amd one bcz when i dwonload amd radeon software and install the driver updates, windows keep...
  3. do i need amd radeon software for my amd cpu and second amd gpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    do i need amd radeon software for my amd cpu and second amd gpu: my pc specs are cpu : amd ryzen 5600h and as gpu ı have 2 gpus main one is nvidia rtx 3060 and other is called amd radeon graphics i am already nvidia driver updater but do i need the amd one bcz when i dwonload amd radeon software and install the driver updates, windows keep...
  4. Windows 11 missing AMD CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 missing AMD CPU: Hi, I've checked the compatible CPU's of AMD on Microsoft's list, but I haven't been able to see my cpu; ryzen 5 3600Although ryzen 5 3600X and ryzen 5 3600XT exists on the list. Will ryzen 5 3600 be supported in the future or am I doomed untill I get a new CPU?...
  5. Windows 11 missing AMD CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 missing AMD CPU: Hi, I've checked the compatible CPU's of AMD on Microsoft's list, but I haven't been able to see my cpu; ryzen 5 3600Although ryzen 5 3600X and ryzen 5 3600XT exists on the list. Will ryzen 5 3600 be supported in the future or am I doomed untill I get a new CPU?...
  6. Up grading CPU from AMD Ryzen 2700 to AMD Ryzen 3950X

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Up grading CPU from AMD Ryzen 2700 to AMD Ryzen 3950X: Hello, I'm going to change the CPU as stated above and am wondering how much trouble I'm getting my self into - I have Windows 10 64bit and it's activated to my Microsoft account with a digital license....
  7. AMD Unleashes New AMD Radeon RX 5700 GPU and AMD Ryzen 3000 CPU

in Windows 10 News
    AMD Unleashes New AMD Radeon RX 5700 GPU and AMD Ryzen 3000 CPU: Today, AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) announced the global availability of its new leadership PC gaming platform based on AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 series graphics cards and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processors, as well as AMD Ryzen™ 3000 Series Processors with Radeon™ Graphics (APUs)....
  8. NVIDIA GPU + AMD CPU on W10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NVIDIA GPU + AMD CPU on W10: Hello.Is there anything what you need to know if you using windows 10 with nvi gpu and amd cpu ? I got Gainward GTX 1060 6Gb GPU and AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU on mobo TUF X470-Plus Gaming. I got some issues with .. starting maybe blue death when starting pc to problems with...
  9. 1803 update and AMD CPU .. BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1803 update and AMD CPU .. BSOD: Ever since the 1803 update Windows my NEW pc rig keeps throwing a BSOD daily (sometimes every hour) Setup is as follows, but have also tried various combinations, same result. Windows 10 Home (have also tried Windows 10 Pro, same bsod) ASUS X370-FGaming Mobo (have also tried...
  10. 1083 update and AMD CPU .. BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1083 update and AMD CPU .. BSOD: Ever since the 1803 update Windows my NEW pc rig keeps throwing a BSOD daily (sometimes every hour) Setup is as follows, but have also tried various combinations, same result. Windows 10 Home (have also tried Windows 10 Pro, same bsod) ASUS X370-FGaming Mobo (have also tried...