Windows 10: I HATE the Store -- How to Hose up perfectly good apps (PLEX)

Discus and support I HATE the Store -- How to Hose up perfectly good apps (PLEX) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there I made the mistake of installing PLEX via the store -- what a dogs dinner they've made of the PLEX app -- complicated to use - no easy way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Oct 18, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

I HATE the Store -- How to Hose up perfectly good apps (PLEX)

Hi there

I made the mistake of installing PLEX via the store -- what a dogs dinner they've made of the PLEX app -- complicated to use - no easy way to add libraries / modify libraries etc and can't find any way that it stays as a system service in the hidden system icons on the toolbar.

I've uninstalled it and downloaded the PROPER app from the PLEX site -- much better. Now it's working PROPERLY again. (Bonus too --use Any Browser you like for the web interface - not that stupid Edge !! although it will of course work with that too if you actually like Edge).

Ms if the store apps are typically like this then why don't you (Ms) JUST FORGET ABOUT THE STORE.

Seems totally USELESS !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 18, 2016
  2. Kosh---01 Win User

Flash player support for video playback in Lumia 800

The BBC has up until now not been interested in creating a version for Windows Phone. While technically there is no reason to not be able to view iPlayer content, there are apps like

Plex
    which give you access to the iPlayer content.

Kosh---01, Oct 18, 2016
  3. Kosh---01 Win User
    Lumia 900 Various Issues

Hi Blckdmnd,

If you are running a personal server like a ReadyNAS or PC I would like to suggest you try

Plex
    which I personally use to stream media to my Lumia and I find this to be a very good app well worth the asking price.

Visit the Plex website for more information. They also have a very good and supportive
    forum for the app which is receiving regular updates.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on!

Kosh

Kosh---01, Oct 18, 2016
  4. I HATE the Store -- How to Hose up perfectly good apps (PLEX)

The store app is for viewing your media, just like the iOS, Android, PMP, TV Apps etc

If you want to add libraries or any other management features then you need to use the server, as has always been the case

paulsalter, Oct 18, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @paulsalter

Thanks for the info -- I'm sure I'm not the only one who has made this type of mistake -- the Store should say do you want server / player or whatever just like the main app from the website does.

This type of install is going to cause a lot more aggro if apps are different depending on if the store is used or from the website --having multiple sources like that with different functionality is only going to create endless confusion. !!

Anyway up and running again

Thanks

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 18, 2016
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    The Store is run by the Marketing Department.

The OS is run by the Engineering Department.

Both are run by the Bean Counter Department!

f14tomcat, Oct 18, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks !!! I think that says it all !!!

Perhaps I'm getting TOO OLD to put my brain into "Dumb accept everything" mode. !!!!

Perhaps Windows has a "Brain Mode" setting of operation somewhere on the control panel / policies menu.I

If you have a certain IQ over say about 9 then you can't use windows anymore !!!! Or at least you will have to read about 497 pages in 47 languages whether or not Windows conforms to the 3,000 or more world wide trade agreements. and agree to each one before continuing!!

Glad I'm coming up to retirement --seems 97 % of business is looking at regulations, deciphering "Consultant-ese", performing totally Bonkers Health and safety stuff while if you are lucky you might get 3% of your time actually doing USEFUL work / or stuff you actually enjoy doing.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 18, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Jimbo the DVR Beta is working fine at this point. You can get it from the Plex forum sticky. Even if you do not use the DVR, it is better than what some Bean Counter at Microsoft thinks.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I HATE the Store -- How to Hose up perfectly good apps (PLEX) - Similar Threads - HATE Store Hose

2. How do you remove focus assit off windows 11 for GOOD I hate it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you remove focus assit off windows 11 for GOOD I hate it: I want to remove focus assist foever. I hate it, its the worst feature ever. Mine will not turn off and wont stop popping up i want it gone. I never use it anyway...
  3. How do you remove focus assit off windows 11 for GOOD I hate it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you remove focus assit off windows 11 for GOOD I hate it: I want to remove focus assist foever. I hate it, its the worst feature ever. Mine will not turn off and wont stop popping up i want it gone. I never use it anyway...
  4. I hate "Photos" app

I hate "Photos" app: I don't like the "Photos" app running amuck in my computer ravaging through my files and displaying totally unneeded pictures of thumbnails of my operating system. You have taken control of my computer away from me. I have no idea when this took over my computer. Was it in an...
  5. Plex installed, but not showing up as an app in Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Plex installed, but not showing up as an app in Family: Our family shares a laptop. We all have separate accounts, each tied to a microsoft account, and I can see all the family members listed at https://account.microsoft.com/family/. I can block my kids' access to some apps, like Chrome, and this works fine. However, I use...
  6. I hate pop-up ads . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I hate pop-up ads . . .: I'm running Windows 10 pro on my computer. I hate pop-up ads. I want to stop 'em! But, every software app, that I find. Gives you a trial period. When, that over, I delete it and install another. But, I'm running out of things to install. Is their any free forever,...
  7. store app updates - you're good to go

store app updates - you're good to go: only a minor thing. But I never ever let the store app update apps automatically. I prefer not to let them update on their own just in case I shut down mid update in the background or something. these native apps are flakey enough without the risk. Anyways, I usually check...
  8. auto update hoses up audio again - how to fix

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    auto update hoses up audio again - how to fix: Hi there. I can't find any way of disabling specific updates (that trick of bringing back Windows update to the control panel doesn't work any more). So the HD VIA audio driver got re-installed. To remove again simply as before right mouse click against the driver (via...
  9. Why I HATE the store

Why I HATE the store: Hi there I REALLY LOATHE this type of "Store" app to find software First the search doesn't work -- I was looking for latest updates to Office 2016 preview - and I get all sorts of RUBBISH (Wheel of Fortune and other total nonsense kiddy stuff) and finally if I just go...
  10. Hosed update

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosed update: I have a dual boot set up (Linux + Windows) and my Win 10 partition is hosed since last update. The automatic repair will not accomplish anything and neither will advanced options get me anywhere. However, I can access the documents in the Win10 partition when I boot into...