Windows 10: I hate W10

Discus and support I hate W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Win 10, good luck getting SMS text messages to arrive on your PC in case your phone is downstairs. Or you like responding to texts with a real... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by crimson, Sep 25, 2015.

1. I hate W10

Is that for SMS messages or Apples Messenger service that takes over texts?

paulsalter, Sep 28, 2015

2. Well, all those Modern 'apps' now run in windows on the Desktop...
    And the Skype app didn't work out too well!

markweatherill, Sep 28, 2015
  3. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I'll answer it this way -- Apple has an app called MESSAGES that lives on your computer. It is essentially just like the one on the iPhone -- and they are in sync. So suppose you're at your computer and someone texts you from your phone SMS. There's no need to pick up the iPhone and reply. You can use your Mac to do so.

Even cooler (but kinda weird) is suppose you're upstairs in your house but you left your iPhone downstairs. Or in the car. Or at work. Your Mac will see the incoming call and give you a chance to answer it. So any Mac you have is like an 'extension' of your iPhone.

The Pool Man, Sep 28, 2015
  4. I hate W10

Thanks
    That's what I thought you meant

I prefer to receive/send standard SMS messages, not have them re route through Apple servers (or anyone elses)

paulsalter, Sep 28, 2015
  5. Last time I checked it's impossible to send or receive SMS without someone elses servers. Mine go thru AT&T. Who do yours go thru?

6. Mystere Win User
    Yes, but they also must go through Apple's servers in order for Apple to forward them to your computer. That was his argument, that you were introducing yet another privacy busting middleman.

For that matter, I can do the same thing with Google Voice. I can send and receive SMS's on my pc or phone.

Mystere, Sep 28, 2015
  7. No it wasn't. He said

Your phone carrier is someone else. And so the pretense of 'protecting your privacy' is shattered at that point. Not to mention that Google's business model is snooping where Apple's isn't*.

Back to point -- I was listing this phone feature as a difference between operating systems. Not a selling point which every computer user must embrace. And so if someone doesn't want this feature it doesn't mean that everyone doesn't want it. Or that the Apple OS lacks features which critically differentiate it from Windows and Linux. (And vice versa.)

* as far as mere mortals can tell

8. sandra Win User

I hate W10

Hold that thought: I like it! But unfortunately reality is different for most of us. Many of us don't really want to spend that many hours integrating new printers, scanners, disks, etc. or updating & configuring our systems. I don't think any of the UNIX based packages for PC's compare if the goal is to really get work done with a good choice of s/w. They all require just a bit more time, energy, and knowledge for system management. Fine if someone is paying me to do the work; not fine for my own needs. My time is for production, not tweaking my system.

BUT Windows 10 is driving me up the wall three weeks after installing: it is slow, unpredictable, and difficult to navigate after years of Windows 7. I skipped 8, and I don't have a smart phone yet, so tiles & apps, and hiding menus is just not OK for me!

I do hate it, but I suppose I will eventually get over that. Definitely bloatware, IMHO

sandra, Dec 9, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Well If installed correctly, Windows is not slow at all, faster than Windows 7 Pro. Which I was running for long time on two computers. Their ARE programs that do come with Windows 10 that I believe the user should be able to remove, no question about that!! How you install windows 10 makes a big difference on how it will run. Updating from one OS to Windows 10 is not the best way, for some it does work, but down the line, fresh install does make a BIG difference on how Windows 10 will perform on your computer.
    Also...Welcome to Windows 10 forum!!!
    Mike..

OldMike65, Dec 9, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    Adapting is a keyword, I gave up getting world to adapt to me long time ago. Specially if I can't do anything about something, It's like everything else in nature, adapt or die out. Hardware adapting to software and vice versa.
    If an OS can do most/everything for you why not use it. Her I am at 9th or 10th Linux in last week only and can't find one that can monitor sound input on the speakers. As it's one of most important things I need, no matter how good/bad/ugly OS is it's no good for me. Another thing about Windows vs, Linux is lack drivers and HW settings and customizing it on Linux. One could be madly in love with it but if it's not doing what's needed it just ain't good enough.

CountMike, Dec 9, 2015
  11. sandra Win User
    Thanks for the welcome, and the advice: I see this advice to use a new install around, but too late of course! But WTF, I am so NOT impressed: MS produces an update that is the wrong way to install their product? Geez!

I had a very recent, presumably clean, install of Windows 7 (due to power failure and crash on my PC). I had restored my user data, and reinstalled only the applications I use regularly. Once things looked OK, I installed Windows 10 as an update.

It seems slower in general, and keeps me waiting more often, but I don't have any metrics. I will have to think about doing a clean install, once I have good backups in order.

sandra, Dec 9, 2015
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Two good tutorials here on the forum:
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Dec 9, 2015
  13. I hate W10

I am starting out with Windows 10, just because I wanted to take advantage of their Free Upgrade that comes with my new DELL Windows 7.1 Pro >> Windows 10 Pro a whopping 200.00 at Retail price.*Biggrin

I decided to to do a Dual Boot so that I can't use windows 8.1 and if I feel like playing around with windows 10, I can just pick the Option at Boot time.

Since I wold like to take advantage of my new Dell Comp,and further more some of the sites that I frequent bans windows 10 - for me windows 8.1 Pro still is my second best OS, besides XP. Just IMHO.*Wink

Let see how many reverts back to Windows 7/8.1 in the future.

Windowtensnoop, Dec 9, 2015
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    I have been a Windows user all my PC life. But now Linux looks better every day. Less hassle with malware, more stable, more logical and more pleasant to use.

15. BunnyJ New Member
    Add in less software support and more complexity in installing some software.
    Yup.. sounds like fun to me.

BunnyJ, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

I hate W10

1. I hate W10 - Similar Threads - hate W10

2. I hate this dialog box, every time I use the key it will happen like that from time to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I hate this dialog box, every time I use the key it will happen like that from time to...: I hate this dialog box, every time I use the key it will happen like that from time to time, extremely annoying, I use win 11 23h2 activated, how do I disable the dialog box?...
  3. I hate this dialog box, every time I use the key it will happen like that from time to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I hate this dialog box, every time I use the key it will happen like that from time to...: I hate this dialog box, every time I use the key it will happen like that from time to time, extremely annoying, I use win 11 23h2 activated, how do I disable the dialog box?...
  4. startupcheck.vbs kase hate ga

in Windows 10 Gaming
    startupcheck.vbs kase hate ga: Can not find script file C:\windows\system32\StartupCheck.vbs". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startupcheckvbs-kase-hate-ga/5c835ca9-bf8b-4e91-b42e-e9afd8569285
  5. startupcheck.vbs kase hate ga

startupcheck.vbs kase hate ga: Can not find script file C:\windows\system32\StartupCheck.vbs". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startupcheckvbs-kase-hate-ga/5c835ca9-bf8b-4e91-b42e-e9afd8569285
  6. startupcheck.vbs kase hate ga

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. I Hate Microsoft Edge.I removed it from windows 10.Will there be any problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Hate Microsoft Edge.I removed it from windows 10.Will there be any problem?: I Hate Microsoft Edge.I removed it from windows 10.Will there be any problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-hate-microsoft-edgei-removed-it-from-windows/6e9e8a8a-20ff-4578-8bf1-65c5f677b484
  8. I Hate Microsoft Edge.I removed it from windows 10.Will there be any problem?

I Hate Microsoft Edge.I removed it from windows 10.Will there be any problem?: I Hate Microsoft Edge.I removed it from windows 10.Will there be any problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-hate-microsoft-edgei-removed-it-from-windows/6e9e8a8a-20ff-4578-8bf1-65c5f677b484
  9. I Hate Microsoft Edge.I removed it from windows 10.Will there be any problem?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Dear W10, I hate you.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dear W10, I hate you.: Hi. So W10 has murdered two laptops in a row of mine. Unfortunately I spent almost $1000 on my most recent laptop which, you guessed it, crashed within a month after it's 1 year warranty. Both times they began having significant problems after an "update." The older one...