Windows 10: I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power...

Discus and support I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] I actually got this from an external hard drive, and I wanted to install it to my own tower. Problem is that somehow it is not receiving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SotoPrior, Mar 3, 2018.

1. SotoPrior Win User

I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power...

I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power... [​IMG]

I actually got this from an external hard drive, and I wanted to install it to my own tower. Problem is that somehow it is not receiving enough power to get the regular sata data cable to read anything off of it. What do I do honestly?

:)

SotoPrior, Mar 3, 2018

2. W10 File History Not Backing Up Internal Secondary Drive.

Here is my issue exactly.

I have two internal drives. One SSD and a secondary 8TB drive containing all my media.

I have one 8TB External drive as well, which is my main backup drive.

I use File History to backup my two internal drives onto my external.

I go into the W10 settings, Backup options. Added my secondary drive (M:\) to the 'Back Up These Folders' option. (also not I added my secondary internal drive to my Library.

Boom, I hit the 'Back Up Now' button. Everything seems like it's operating perfectly. Except the problem is nothing from my internal secondary drives is copying over to my Backup drive. With no warning either.

I even checked my event logs and I see this happening:

File/directory was not backed up due to being encrypted or insufficient permissions:

M:\System Volume Information

If you want it to be protected, remove encryption or ask your system administrator to give you access to this file/directory.

My secondary internal was never encrypted. I simply copied all my previous info from my older drives onto my new internal 8TB.

Long story short. My File History will not backup my internal 8TB drive to my External 8TB. It only sees my OS drive (SSD).

I'm clueless at this point.

Running W10.

Internal OS SSD is Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256BG

Internal 8TB Drive is HGST 8TB Nas Drive

External 8TB Backup Drive is Seagate Backup+

I have full admin control of all my drives.

David Paplia, Mar 3, 2018
  3. Windows support for internal boot drives over 2tb

I have external 8tb drive that works perfect with windows 10. But can I install and internal 8tb that windows can boot from?

Moved from Insider

AllanLethbridge, Mar 3, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

Try connecting it's power to another branch connector from PSU. and not from same one as other disk(s).

CountMike, Mar 3, 2018
  5. Barman58 Win User
    You could check what total power you're new setup requires, All PSUs will supply whatever power (Watts), that is asked for by the hardware but is limited to the maximum rating, This may be lower than the stated max due to over temp protection which depends on case design and cooling

Power Supply Calculator - The most accurate PC wattage calculator

This is an independent tool but if you are tied into a particular manufacturer then most have their own tools that can specify a preferred PSU, (it's a reasonable idea to run a few tools to get a better range and then take an average

Barman58, Mar 3, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    That drive uses only 550mA which shouldn't make a dent in PSU power.

CountMike, Mar 3, 2018
  7. Barman58 Win User
    I agree (I added an extra 8GB drive to a power requirements test setup and it added around 20 W), but It could be a Straw / Camel situation - a lot of general usage PCs are shipped with just enough power supply for the standard.

It's likely to be something else but best to check basics first

Barman58, Mar 3, 2018
  8. CountMike New Member

Yes, basics, like if it's connected to power lead properly or at all or if actually that connector has any power. SATA has small connectors and tabs and is easily plugged in wrong.

CountMike, Mar 3, 2018
  9. bobkn Win User
    I think that you need to find the real reason the drive isn't working. Power is unlikely to be the cause.

bobkn, Mar 3, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    By first post, I'm not even sure power is connected at all, mentions only data cable.

CountMike, Mar 3, 2018
  11. Helmut Win User
    Helmut, Mar 3, 2018
  12. SotoPrior Win User
    Hello again, sorry for the wait without answer, I have work during most of the week which keeps me off the computer tower at home. So far, I have taken previous advice on separate power cables plugged in. As seen here however:

Of note, only the 2 TB hard drive is detected, even with exchange of New Data Cables. Indeed both power sata parts are inserted into both hard drives. This power supply sports over 650 watts with no Modularization, Both the Harddrive and the Power supply are recent installations from a Best Buy I had brought previously over say 1 week or so. May I ask, how may I proceed with the "3.3 v" line procedure?

SotoPrior, Mar 10, 2018
  13. Berton Win User

Actually the label shows 5VDC at 400mA and 12VDC at 550mA, total of 950mA.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power... - Similar Threads - 8TB hard drive

2. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    formatting external hard drive with 8tb?: Hello everyone.Wish you all a nice day.I need to format an external hard drive Seagate 8 TB, however, when I go to format I see the capacity is only 7.27 TB. Where is the rest 8TB, and what would it be the proper allocation unit size for such a drive?Thanks....
  3. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    formatting external hard drive with 8tb?: Hello everyone.Wish you all a nice day.I need to format an external hard drive Seagate 8 TB, however, when I go to format I see the capacity is only 7.27 TB. Where is the rest 8TB, and what would it be the proper allocation unit size for such a drive?Thanks....
  4. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Not enough space on hard drive"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Not enough space on hard drive": Hi I'm trying to install an old program on my Windows 10 computer. Everything seems OK until the "available space" on the hard drive is shown. This shows as a negative amount in Kb, I have a 2TB hard drive which is practically brand new. Help please....
  6. Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium...: The clone failed. Is there a maximum drive size that M-R Clone drive will clone? After 8+ years of no failures whatsoever with M-R I was surprised. TIA Dennis...
  7. Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.: Hi guys, A month ago (03/16/2019) I purchased and started to use an 8TB Seagate Desktop external hard drive with my laptop computer (2018 HP Pavilion 15t-cc500 CTO). I had been backing up my data with 2 different 4TB external hard drives before. I use a 4-port USB hub with...
  8. Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.

in Windows 10 Support
    Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.: Hi guys, A month ago (03/16/2019) I purchased and started to use an 8TB Seagate Desktop external hard drive with my laptop computer (2018 HP Pavilion 15t-cc500 CTO). I had been backing up my data with 2 different 4TB external hard drives before. I use a 4-port USB hub with...
  9. How to check if laptop is receiving enough power?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to check if laptop is receiving enough power?: I have an old 64-bit Gateway laptop that im tinkering with and was wondering if theres software I could use to check power input. I had to solder on a new power jack and the laptop shuts off when playing games and even starting a stress test. I'm eliminating factors such as...
  10. Having troubles with 8Tb Seagate drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Having troubles with 8Tb Seagate drives: I went and bought 2 8Tb drives as one 3Tb and one 4Tb had died and I thought I would "bite the bullet". I have an Asus Z87 motherboard on a system about a year old(?). I also have an SI-PEX40071 8 port SATA 3 PCIe card and a fully updated Windows 10 *Biggrin I tried the...