Windows 10: I have a external drive that doesn't show up when I turn on/ reboot

Discus and support I have a external drive that doesn't show up when I turn on/ reboot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is my info from speccy Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64-bit CPU Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz 32 °C Haswell 22nm Technology RAM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by r3b3lw0lf, Oct 1, 2016.

1. r3b3lw0lf Win User

I have a external drive that doesn't show up when I turn on/ reboot

This is my info from speccy

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
    Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz 32 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (8-8-8-24)

Motherboard
    ASRock H87 Performance (CPUSocket) 33 °C

Graphics
    BenQ GL2460 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Gigabyte) 27 °C

Storage
    465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD) 30 °C
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA) 30 °C
    1863GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA)) 43 °C
    1863GB Western Digital WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 29 °C

THE DRIVE BELOW
    1397GB Seagate GoFlex Desk USB Device (USB (SATA)) 36 °C
    THE DRIVE ABOVE

Optical Drives
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-217

Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    =========================================================

1397GB Seagate GoFlex Desk USB Device (USB (SATA)) 36 °C
    This drive here... is the drive that never shows when I reboot or turn on pc.
    If I unplug and plug back in after pc is on... its good to go...
    Any ideas?

I had it on a usb3 usb card (where the other 2 drives are), and then swapped it, to the mobo usb3 port. But again, no difference.

I am at a loss, any help would be excellent, cheers.

:)

r3b3lw0lf, Oct 1, 2016

2. USB ports don't recognize devices after computer has been on for a while.

When I first turn on my computer, the USB ports all work fine, but after I've been on my computer for a while, when I plug in a USB flash drive or USB external drive, it doesn't show up in My Computer. The flash drive or external drive lights up momentarily,
    then the light goes out. The only way I can get the ports to recognize the devices is to reboot my computer, which is inconvenient if I'm working on something. I've checked the USB controllers, and they are reportedly working properly, so I'm stumped as
    to why they suddenly stop working.

MicLaMarca, Oct 1, 2016
  3. usb drive not reading my external harddrive

Hello,
    No I have made no changes. I connect the usb and the external drive color turns blue. The computer reads there is a external plugged in but doesn't show any file for me to open. I checked under device manager. When I plug the external in and turn on the
    screen just freezes at surface

And I have to turn it off by holding down power and up volume button. Is this normal?

katherinekim, Oct 1, 2016
Thema:

I have a external drive that doesn't show up when I turn on/ reboot

1. I have a external drive that doesn't show up when I turn on/ reboot - Similar Threads - external drive doesn't

2. My laptop doesn't show anything when I turn it on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop doesn't show anything when I turn it on: When I turn my laptop on the only thing I see is the light turn on and the fans starting but, the screen it's a laptop so the monitor is connected just gets slightly darker, no lenovo logo or nothing... I have tried windows re but...
  3. External D Drive doesn't show up on file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External D Drive doesn't show up on file explorer.: I got the 'USB Device Not Recognized' message last week while trying to plug in my external drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer, none of the files have been deleted and as far as I know it is recoverable. Can someone help with this one? Mine is 10586.122 and version...
  4. External Drive not showing up.

External Drive not showing up.: My external drive is not showing up in file explorer or diskmanagement. However it shows in Device Manager/Diskdrives. When I click on the properties "This device is working properly." but on volumes tab nothing shows in disk information....
  5. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  6. External hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer

External hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer: I have an external hard drive that doesn't show up in File Explorer. It does show up in the settings area under Bluetooth and Other Devices. I've been reading online how to resolve this and have seen that possibly a drive letter is not assigned so have tried to go to Disk...
  7. External hard drive that worked yesterday now doesn't show up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive that worked yesterday now doesn't show up: I have no idea what's going on with my laptop anymore. I have an external hard drive that I've been using on my laptop for a while now. I even used it yesterday, but today it doesn't show up on my laptop anymore. The USB port works, as it can detect my phone, but the drive...
  8. Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!

Windows 10 Not Recognizing External RAID Drive When I Turn the External Drive On !!: Hello, I recently converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a CRU external enclosure for 2 6TB HDD in a RAID 1 configuration. I only use the external drive to store 100,000 images for use with Lightroom/Photoshop and I turn the external drive Off when finished as I...
  9. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  10. External hard drive not showing up when connected

External hard drive not showing up when connected: Hi there - I connected my Seagate 2Tb external HD my laptop and while the drive turns on (light activated and disk spinning), the drive is not showing up as connected to my computer. I've used this drive with this same laptop many times previously without any complication....