Windows 10: I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition

Discus and support I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a dual boot with win10 and win7 on the same 1TB HD. Disk management will not allow me to delete the win 7 partition. I need that disk space... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by errolgreer, Jul 18, 2017.

1. I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition

I have a dual boot with win10 and win7 on the same 1TB HD. Disk management will not allow me to delete the win 7 partition. I need that disk space back! Delete is greyed out. How can I get around this problem?

:)

errolgreer, Jul 18, 2017
  2. kg415 Win User

Windows 7 System Image Not Found on External USB HDD after Windows 10 Backup

I've been successfully saving and restoring Window 7 system images to/from an external USB HD for years. I've successfully restored these Win7 images using a system repair DVD.

Prior to installing Windows 10, I saved a system image to the external HD. After installing Win10, I saved a system image to this same HD.

Now Win10 is randomly freezing, so I wish to restore the latest Win7 image. If I attempt to do this from Win10 Repair, all the old Win7 images are listed, but if I attempt to restore one of these, Win10 Repair says it cannot restore a Win7 image.

When I attempt to restore using the Win7 repair DVD, it fails with the "System Image Not Found" message. The HD is accessible, since I can browse it from a command window. It appears that saving a Win10 image on this HD has broken Win7 system repair.

Any ideas about how to restore a Windows 7 system image in this situation?

kg415, Jul 18, 2017
  3. linmaxyc Win User
    ual boot system upgrade to windows 10

Thanks Jessen for the hint. I was expecting a yes or no answer, since I already have a dual boot system(xp+win7), and if I upgrade win10 from win7 boot, would win7 be replaced by win10 and becomes a (xp+win10) dual boot system?

But it looks more complicated than I thought, should I check current system has xp and win7 are installed in DIFFERENT partitions, otherwise xp would be gone after win7 is upgraded to win10 if xp and win7 are in SAME partition?

linmaxyc, Jul 18, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2017
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Have you tried a third party tool, like the free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard (MTPW)? But first, as NavyLCDR says, you must make sure that you won't be shooting yourself in the foot, and making your system unbootable if you do delete that partition. Because you're messing with boot stuff (the easiest pathway to an unbootable system, when things go wrong), make sure you've got a current image backup and a bootable recovery device or DVD prepared before you start messing about.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 19, 2017
  6. Here is the screen shot

I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition [​IMG]

errolgreer, Jul 19, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Your computer is currently booting from the Windows 7 Pro x32 partition. Delete that partition and you will break booting. Use EASYBCD to move the boot files to the Windows 10 partition. The System and Active flags inside the parenthesis of the Windows 7 partition is what indicates that is where the computer is booting from.

EasyBCD:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Changing the Boot Partition

After you change the boot partition, reboot the computer. Go back to disk management and make sure the Active and System flags move to the Windows 10 partition inside the parenthesis. Then delete the Windows 7 partition.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition

1. I have a hd with win10 and win7. Cannot delete win7 partition - Similar Threads - win10 win7 Cannot

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  6. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  7. Downgrade Win10 to Win7

Downgrade Win10 to Win7: Hi.... I want to back to use Win7, I bought a new notebook with Win10 installed, Can I downgrade it to Win7? Thanks... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-win10-to-win7/2e9a1762-030d-48ad-ad2c-d0513a2b9f58
  8. Win7 games on Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 games on Win10: A while ago I installed Win7 games on Win10 using msgames_win8_x64.msi as mentioned in thread Hearts and Solitaire Games in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I wondered if this was legal but did it anyway. Installing the TH2 update removed the games. I installed them again, but...
  9. Win7 to win10 can i delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win7 to win10 can i delete this folder?: I went from Windows 7 pro to Win10 pro and i noticed that there is a Windows.old folder on the C drive that is 22gig in size, if im correct that is the windows 7 installation right? can this folder be deleted? 33110
  10. cannot upgrade from win7 to win10

cannot upgrade from win7 to win10: I have 6 computers at my premises 4 ran windows 8.1 pro and two currently running win 7 HP. Now all the installations are fully activated and full RETAIL versions and upto date with all updates. Because my broadband (LOL) connection is very slow (sub 2 Meg ) it would take...