Windows 10: I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?

Discus and support I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I plugged my new, empty Western Digital 4TB external drive into my old PC, and it is a MBR HDD. The PC is too old to have UEFI. I want the drive to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ontodva, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ontodva Win User

I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?

I plugged my new, empty Western Digital 4TB external drive into my old PC, and it is a MBR HDD. The PC is too old to have UEFI. I want the drive to be as reliable as possible and to work on my new (UEFI) PC as well. Should I convert it to GPT now?
    Both PCs are on Windows 10.

:)

ontodva, Sep 16, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Change from BIOS to UEFI

BIOS supports MBR which has a limit or 2.2TB drives.

UEFI allows much more and I am gong to use a 4TB drive.

lacrumb, Sep 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, Sep 16, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

I don't think GPT is really more reliable than MBR and either of your PCs could access either.

I think I'd convert it GPT though if it is still empty - you might decide you want more than 4 partitions in the future and this is easier with GPT. You can always change MBR to GPT later using partition management software but it is probably easier to do it now.

5. topgundcp Win User
    MBR only supports 2TB max. You must initialize with GPT to use all 4TB

topgundcp, Sep 16, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You can't BOOT from this drive on MBR but you can use the whole 4TB if you use it as a NON boot device and convert to GPT.

Use another drive or an SSD as MBR to boot from.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 16, 2016
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Can't you boot on MBR even if you make several smaller partitions?

eLPuSHeR, Sep 16, 2016
  8. ontodva Win User

This is the common wisdom, but untrue. Western Digital ships new 4TB external drives initialised to MBR. I'm not mistaken. I checked three different ways to see it was MBR.

ontodva, Sep 16, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    Must have 4k sector size (you can check the bytes per sector with fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo x: ) so the limit for MBR is 8 times bigger ~16TB. I'd reformat it GPT based on this though..

windows 8.1 - How can a MBR formatted hard drive exceed 1.81 TiB capacity? - Super User

10. ontodva Win User
    ontodva, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT? - Similar Threads - 4TB external HDD

2. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  3. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  4. MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.: I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using CMD. Now in bios I have selected UEFI and disabled legacy, but OS is not booting. How do I get it to boot?...
  5. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD: Hi I need help. I spent an entire day trying to figure this out only to fail so I need help. I want to upgrade my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD. What I have: Partitions in order 1TB MBR HDD: System Reserved 500MB, (C:) 930GB, Recovery Partition 482MB 4TB GPT SSD: Unformatted...
  6. 2TB HDD Data Only Non-Boot - Format to MBR or GPT??

2TB HDD Data Only Non-Boot - Format to MBR or GPT??: Am using / installing a new 2TB HDD drive. Quick Info: - 2TB capacity WD - Will be a Data only drive, not OS or Boot Drive - Will most likely only have one or two partitions at most on the new drive - ASUS i5 Motherboard supports HDD's > 2TB and worked well with 3TB...
  7. I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI): Hello everyone, I have Samsung EVO 860 SSD, I have Windows 10 and partition style is MBR, while my second HDD I bought few days ago is in GPT and his size is 2TB The reason I want to switch my OS and my main SSD where the OS is located in general to GPT is that I heard it's...
  8. Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT

Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT: This may be clear as mud, but I'm going to give it a shot. The SSD on my Dell 3847 computer failed, so I connected it as a secondary drive to another, older Dell (660) and was able to copy a lot of files off of it. That older computer has an HDD; I used it while waiting for...
  9. Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk: Hello, I've read alot online about all of the scenarios for bitlocker and using Windows 10 with TPM 2.0. I've read things that said bitlocker encryption is not possible if it's a Win 10 box with TPM 2.0 bios in Legacy mode. It must be UEFI/EFI to work. Is this correct?...
  10. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR: New to the group and boy do I have a good one! The other day when I booted up my desktop PC, I noticed a majority of my desktop icons had lost there images alerting me that something had went direly wrong. I opened My PC to inspect my HDD contents and I was shocked by what I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. use 4tb drive in non uefi pc

2. 4TB drive non-UEFI BIOS