Windows 10: Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10

Discus and support Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10 How to Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10 The 3D Objects... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Youpeoplearenut, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10

How to: Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10

How to Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10

The 3D Objects folder was added to This PC in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. This folder is used by apps like Paint 3D and Mixed Reality Viewer. 3D apps like these save to the 3D Objects folder by default.

By default, your personal 3D Objects folder is located in your account's %UserProfile% (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") folder.

This tutorial will show you how to change or restore the default 3D Objects folder icon for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change 3D Objects Folder Icon in Properties
    • Option Two: Change 3D Objects Folder Icon in desktop.ini file
    • Option Three: Restore Default 3D Objects Folder Icon in Properties
    • Option Four: Restore Default 3D Objects Folder Icon in desktop.ini file

EXAMPLE: 3D Objects folder

Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Change 3D Objects Folder Icon in Properties
    1. Open your 3D Objects folder's current location (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") in File Explorer (Win+E). (see screenshot below)

2. Right click or press and hold on the 3D Objects folder, and click/tap on Properties.

3. Click/tap on the Customize tab, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

4. Follow the steps below to select an icon: (see screenshots below)

*note The %SystemRoot\System32\shell32.dll and %SystemRoot\System32\imageres.dll files contain most of Windows default icons.
    • Click/tap on the Browse button.
    • Navigate to and select the icon library (ex: .dll) or .ico file you want to use, and click/tap on Open.
    • Select the icon you want to use, and click/tap on OK.

5. Click/tap on OK to apply (see screenshot below step 3)

OPTION TWO [/i] Change 3D Objects Folder Icon in desktop.ini file
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, copy and paste %UserProfile%\3D Objects\desktop.ini into Run, and click/tap on OK to open that file. (see screenshot below)

*note If you changed the default location of your 3D Objects folder, then you will need to substitute %UserProfile%\3D Objects in the path above with the actual full path of your 3D Objects folder's current location instead.

2. In the IconResource= line in the desktop.ini window, change the full path to the full path of the icon you want to use. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have a IconResource=<icon path> line, then you will need to add it.

3. Click/tap on File (menu bar), click/tap on Save (Ctrl+S), and close the desktop.ini window. (see screenshot below)

4. sign in to apply.

OPTION THREE [/i] Restore Default 3D Objects Folder Icon in Properties
    1. Open your 3D Objects folder's current location (ex: "C:\Users\Brink") in File Explorer (Win+E). (see screenshot below)

2. Right click or press and hold on the 3D Objects folder, and click/tap on Properties.

3. Click/tap on the Customize tab, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Restore Defaults button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on OK to apply (see screenshot below step 3)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Restore Default 3D Objects Folder Icon in desktop.ini file
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, copy and paste %UserProfile%\3D Objects\desktop.ini into Run, and click/tap on OK to open that file. (see screenshot below)

*note If you changed the default location of your 3D Objects folder, then you will need to substitute %UserProfile%\3D Objects in the path above with the actual full path of your Documents folder's current location instead.

2. In the IconResource= line in the desktop.ini window, change the full path to %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-198. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have a IconResource=<icon path> line, then you will need to add it.

3. Click/tap on File (menu bar), click/tap on Save (Ctrl+S), and close the desktop.ini window. (see screenshot below)

4. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Youpeoplearenut, Feb 11, 2017
  2. spunk Win User

3D Objects Icon used for moved User folder

Similar to this issue: 3D objects in Users folder have no location tab - Windows 10 Forums

I have successfully moved the User files (ie) C:\Users\[UserName] to a data drive D:\User by using the Location tab on each individual folder (ie) Pictures, Music etc I then right clicked the D:\User folder itself and chose Customize to choose an icon for it. I reluctantly chose the 3D Objects icon. the User folder took on the 3D Objects icon. All was good, but after a reboot, the User folder changed names to 3D Objects. I have renamed 3D Objects back to User, and changed the icon to something different. The name change and Icon sticks in the root of D:\ but the icon in the Quick Access list is still 3D Objects, but not the User folder name, which is still User, the new icon shows in D:\ After a reboot or 2 the icon and the folder name changes to 3D Objects again. And I have to rename it again and choose a different Icon. Is there a way to stop this?

spunk, Oct 27, 2019
  3. How to change 3D Object colors in Windows 10?

*Original Title: 3d Object colors in Windows 10

I need to change the color of the "3D Objects" but I am using Windows 10 and I don't see an advanced options section.

Any suggestions?

Debbye McAtee, Oct 27, 2019
  4. BossDweeb Win User

Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10

3D Objects folder

Hee, hee...

So your main User folder has become the 3D Objects folder (meaning anything that needs to access your User folder would get

lost and not be able to save, or may crash, etc. due to the new Folder name ) ?

When you open the 3D Objects/User folder you see the normal User stuff such as Photos, Music, Documents, etc. and a
    3D Objects folder ?

If there is a 3D Objects folder within the renamed User folder, are you able to rename your User folder back ?

- Not clear on what method you used when tried to relocate the folder and "accidentally set it to my user folder"
    though.

Was this in the 3D Objects Folders > Properties > Location tab ?

If so, try going back to Location and clicking on Restore, or try the Move option again.

- Failing that go the distance and try full a System Restore to a time before the bungle.

- Or you may have to repair/create a new User Account.

Likhitha describes the method in the thread below.

windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/how-do-i-fix-a-corrupt-user-profile-in-win10

Basically - "Enable built-in administrator by following the steps below, create a new user profile, transfer all the data from the corrupted user

to the newly created user profile and check if the issue is resolved."...
    Then delete your original now empty folder.

BossDweeb, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
  6. RogerH_17 Win User
    3D Objects folder

In trying to relocate the 3D Objects folder somehow I have managed to accidentally set it to my user folder. My user folder and its contents are still intact but the folder name appears as '3D Objects'. How do I correct this?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

RogerH_17, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10

1. Change or Restore 3D Objects Folder Icon in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Restore Objects

2. Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is finally hiding the 3D Objects Folder in Windows 10: Microsoft released a new Insider build on February 24, 2021; it included fixes for the most part but made a few changes as well. One of the changes hides the 3D Objects folder by default on the operating system. The "This PC" menu in File Explorer's sidebar displays a number...
  3. 3D objects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D objects: Stats: windows V 20h2 build 19042_685 I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I'm afraid to alter the Registry. Never have touched it. Seems all instructions to get rid of such junk and the like require the alteration of the registry. If this post is moved please say...
  4. 3D Objects Icon Change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    3D Objects Icon Change: How do I change the icon from the folder "3D Objects". I tried changing it on Properties and on desktop.ini but the icon still didn't change when i opened "This PC". I'll leave the images in the comments. submitted by /u/Akapohi [link] [comments]...
  5. Needing Help Changing Folder Icons For 3D Object and Other Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Needing Help Changing Folder Icons For 3D Object and Other Folders: Windows 10 Home Version 1909 I completely removed the "Navigation Pane" and now I would like to change the icons with the yellow folders behind them. I don't know if this is a weird question or not but is it (2) different icons or (1). Is it the main "3D Objects" icon in...
  6. Windows 10 3D Objects Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 3D Objects Folder: A while back I modified the "3D Objects" folder under "This PC" to point to and be renamed as a folder in C:\ called "01 My Docs." Then some updates were applied to the PC and the name reverted back to "3D Objects." However, it appeared that the location was still applied;...
  7. 3D Objects Icon used for moved User folder

in Windows 10 Support
    3D Objects Icon used for moved User folder: Similar to this issue: 3D objects in Users folder have no location tab - Windows 10 Forums I have successfully moved the User files (ie) C:\Users\[UserName] to a data drive D:\User by using the Location tab on each individual folder (ie) Pictures, Music etc I then right...
  8. Tried moving User objects, now 3D Objects shows as a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Tried moving User objects, now 3D Objects shows as a folder: Want to move my User settings to another partition but non-tenforums steps are wrong. Now my 3D Objects appears as a folder 'Dave', in my User folder alongside Pictures, etc. (I moved it back there.) I've read the tutorials on this site and will follow. But how do I make my...
  9. 3D objects

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3D objects: I tried to get rid of the 3D objects folder that appeared on my computer, but I combined it with my documents. Now I have two sections that say documents and have all my documents. When I delete one folder from one, it deletes it from the other. I just want the document...
  10. remove 3d objects from users folder

in Windows 10 Support
    remove 3d objects from users folder: Hi brink .how do I remove 3d objects from users folder [img] 97807

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restore default 3d object icon windows 10

2. nu vot

3. imageres.dll 3D Objects