Windows 10: I have an HP Printer Laserjet 5 and am upgrading my computer Help!

Discus and support I have an HP Printer Laserjet 5 and am upgrading my computer Help! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an HP Printer Laserjet 5 and am upgrading my computer from a 2 gig ram xp to a new computer with Windows 7 . I cannot use the old connections... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by melw, Jul 2, 2017.

1. melw Win User

I have an HP Printer Laserjet 5 and am upgrading my computer Help!

I have an HP Printer Laserjet 5 and am upgrading my computer from a 2 gig ram xp to a new computer with Windows 7 .
    I cannot use the old connections and cables from my xp computer to the new computer that has Windows 7. It does not have the same plug connections as the old one.
    I can only use a usb plug
    How can I get my laserjet 5 to work with this newer desktop computer? hpe-519c hp pavilion elite
    What cables are needed? What drivers are needed? Where do get the drivers? How can we get this printer working like it was before on the older computer?
    Need Help.

:)

melw, Jul 2, 2017

2. I have Laserjet printer HP 1536 dnf MFP which was installed previously after updation from window 7 to window 10, I am unable to install printer driver from Printer's driver CD

hi, LaserJet printer HP 1536 dnf MFP which was installed with my computer having window 7 when I upgraded with window 10. Now I am unable to install printer drivers from printer CD. please send the drivers of the mentioned printer (HP LaserJet 1536 dnf MFP)

Rakesh Kumar Singh

RakeshSingh_882, Jul 2, 2017
  3. billm430 Win User
    hp 4050 tn not seeing files to print after nov 2015 windows 10 upgrade

Hello. I am having the same problem as well. My HP 4050 laserjet printer has been rendered useless after the Windows 10 upgrades in November/December 2015 timeframe. I did what was suggested in the previous postings....it did not help. The error
    message is: "the hp 4050 laserjet printer is in an error state". I ran the problem fix as well, and it said it fixed it....basically making the 4050 my default printer....that didn't work either.

Please help.

billm430, Jul 2, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

The old LJ5 may not be Windows 10 compatible, as the first issue. Second issue is the obsolete Parallel interface. All the USB to Parallel adapters I've seen or saw reported are not compatible with HP printers. IF it has Win 10 drivers, a PCIe card with Parallel interface is the best option.

I did a quick search and did not come up with any Windows 10 drivers.

I used a LaserJet 5 in 1994, I don't know how old yours is but it may be time to consider a new printer.

fireberd, Jul 2, 2017
  5. melw Win User
    I am not using windows 10 ,i using windows 7
    I hear that lots of people who use hp 5 printer and windows 7 did get it to work fine.
    By some type of download and new way to connect the hp5 and the new computer with operating system 7
    Need to have directions

melw, Jul 2, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    As mentioned. I tried one and the problem wasn't with the adapter but with HP not recognizing the adapter as a port. Not having the Parallel Port IEEE1284 adapter built into the motherboard doesn't help, quite common for newer computers not to have it.
    Drivers:
    HP laser jet 5 driver for windows 7 - HP Support Forum - 1267349
    But some folks do have trouble. If it were me I'd get an HP Laserjet 1006 or newer, a simple print-only that does a good job. I picked up an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw 3-in-1 [no FAX] at Wal*Mart a couple of months ago for $139.

Berton, Jul 2, 2017
  7. Total Win User
    Could you not connect the printer via network ?

Total, Jul 2, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

Probably could use a networkable print server but it has been a long time since I worked with that old a printer, may no longer be a parallel port print server available [probably needs the Ethernet connection to a Router]. Both my LJ and OJ are capable of Ethernet Wired and Wireless Networking.

Berton, Jul 2, 2017
  9. Here is what I would do: Order a parallel print server like the one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-PS...l+print+server

Connect the printer to the parallel port and the adapter to the network, and the configure Windows 7 to print to the printer. It will work.

play2mefish, Jul 3, 2017
  10. TrustMe Win User
    My HP 5L is still going strong. I too tried the USB to parallel port cable which didn't work. Just buy a PCI or PCI Express parallel port card. My card worked great with Windows 7 and 10. Windows 10 installed its own drivers for the card and printer.

TrustMe, Jul 3, 2017
  11. pbcopter Win User
    I have an HP series II LaserJet printer (much older than the 5) and it works fine with Windows 7 , 8.1 and 10. I use a parallel print server to connect the printer to my systems. Windows has the appropriate drivers but you may have to use Windows update during the installation to get them.

I have to ask, based on your statement that you are using Windows 7, why are you posting in a Windows 10 forum?

SevenForums

pbcopter, Jul 3, 2017
  12. melw Win User
    I was not aware that was a 7th Group Forum
    I've been using my old computer with XP for years and it only had 2 gig of RAM so I upgraded to the Windows 7 with a new computer but it did not have the connection for the HP 5 as we had on the old computer
    Where can I get a step-by-step Direction on how to use the HP 5 on the newer
    Computer what type of cable do I need and the directions and how to do it would appreciate it thank you Mel

Thema:

1. I have an HP Printer Laserjet 5 and am upgrading my computer Help! - Similar Threads - Printer Laserjet upgrading

2. HP laserjet 1012 printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laserjet 1012 printer: I purchased a new desktop, a Dell Inspiron 3910 with Windows 10 or 11. I can't seem to get my "old" printer to work with it. It shows up in my device settings but won't print a test page. I'm unable to locate drivers for it on Dell's website. Is my printer simply too old for...
  3. HP laserjet 1012 printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laserjet 1012 printer: I purchased a new desktop, a Dell Inspiron 3910 with Windows 10 or 11. I can't seem to get my "old" printer to work with it. It shows up in my device settings but won't print a test page. I'm unable to locate drivers for it on Dell's website. Is my printer simply too old for...
  4. Printer problem- HP LaserJet 1018

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer problem- HP LaserJet 1018: Split from this thread. HP LaserJet 1018 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-problem-hp-laserjet-1018/c2bef6ec-6228-44f8-b8fb-67e77be77b9a
  5. Trying to connect a HP LaserJet 6P printer to my computer.

Trying to connect a HP LaserJet 6P printer to my computer.: Have a HP LaserJet 6P printer. I know, OLD, but still works great. Trying to connect to my computer without success. Computer is an ACER M4 Series PC with Windows 10 Pro - 64bit ver 2004 Cable has IEEE ECP 1284C at printer and USB 2.0 at computer. Computer does NOT have...
  6. HP Printer Laserjet P4014n conectivity

HP Printer Laserjet P4014n conectivity: I'm having trouble connecting my HP P4014n printer, it was working and stopped, I deleted and reinstalled the driver and deleted and reinstalled the printer....
  7. HP 3390 LaserJet printer

HP 3390 LaserJet printer: I have a problem with my HP 3390 laserjet printer. I connected it to my new Surface laptop but cannot use it. Can you help me with this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-3390-laserjet-printer/a74a2323-12a2-4215-9d0a-5152cc121e18
  8. HP laserjet 5 drivers

HP laserjet 5 drivers: I have a new HP desktop all in one pavilion computer. Is there a way to keep my HP Laserjet 5 printer working? Thank you, Don https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-laserjet-5-drivers/20b9d6a9-591c-4b97-bed0-df9da2f0bb04
  9. UNINSTALLING HP Laserjet 1320 Printer

UNINSTALLING HP Laserjet 1320 Printer: I have an old printer (HP LaserJet 1320) installed in my windows 10 notebook. As the printer is not working fully as expected (i.e. the printer only prints only one copy of a document when it is asked to print several copies at a time), I was advised to uninstall the printer...
  10. hp color laserjet 3600n printer

hp color laserjet 3600n printer: how do i install driver for this printer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hp-color-laserjet-3600n-printer/b5efc1ed-a20f-4990-b6e7-eaf5aec6485c